1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What's your wild life like?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Happygirl21, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use that stuff to try to ward off the groundhogs. I call the aroma Hillbilly Barbeque.

2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Deer, groundhogs, bunnies, squirrels (pain in the ass), wild turkeys, turkey vultures (ugly bastards), coyotes. the rare Fox, eagles, osprey (I hate those squawking S.O.B's. and they always have a fish in their talons, which makes me hate them more), hawks, a huge barn owl (I thought it was a stuffed owl when I first saw it. I can't believe it is so big).

Oddly enough, in 24 years I have never seen a skunk or raccoon out back, although I'm certain they are there. Box turtles and lizards (called locally, ginks). Black snakes, copperheads, corn snakes. And, last but not least, not on my property but in the general area, the famous Maryland Terrapin. I know at least two men who lost fingers messing around with these dinosaurs.

This is only the stuff that I've seen from my back patio. I keep waiting for Sasquatch.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They say that there are possums and raccoons in the little wooded area behind our block, but I've never seen them. They also say that there are snakes, and I'm sure there are, but again, never seen them.

We do have all kinds of birds of all kinds, including hawks and the occasional owl, and I'm uneasy letting my cat go out 'cuz I've heard stories of some of the hawks attacking cats, although I've never heard it first hand.

Some of the neighbors b*tch about the birds and the rabbits and such and talk about trapping them or calling an exterminator, but really, I figure that they were here before we were, and they leave me alone so I figure I can leave them alone in return. Live and let live!

• Love Love x 1
  4. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes on our freeways we will see a mother wild pig and her piglets. Somehow they end up on the freeway shoulders after coming down the mountain ridges looking for food.

Of course there will be the rubber neckers and the lookie loos so we have to be careful we don't have rear end collisions.

Always wondered why we would see them on the freeway shoulders. Maybe some people threw out their McDonald's French fries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think we have everything Breeze has except more fox and no osprey (we're pretty far inland - but I have seen bald eagles - there's a nesting pair at a lake on the NC/VA border and I know some will travel pretty far to feed). Using our trail cams, we figured out it was a little bastard of a fox pooping on our front porch last year!

Best wildlife we've sighted is a bobcat. On the trail cam (I'll look for the photo) acting just like any other cat - up in the camera, curious as anything!

I have 2 bat houses that are (FINALLY!) being well-used. We live in rural NC on 7 acres, half of it wooded with a pond. Everybody comes to drink & eat here....Best are the blue heron (fortunately the koi we have in that pond are too big to be eaten now, and the pond is deep...)

• Like Like x 1
  6. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Snacking on the fennel plant - these guys will end up as big ol’ swallowtail butterflies.

upload_2020-6-12_14-39-39.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  7. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    F92FEB7F-535B-4274-94BB-64DE174475E3.jpeg DC61A006-C860-4182-BDFA-871B62985BB2.jpeg 9FAAF07E-A140-4F87-AD25-02A52977E83E.jpeg F7945B22-CE72-449E-9C96-85382D383C4C.jpeg 9FAAF07E-A140-4F87-AD25-02A52977E83E.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  8. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lots of mongoose.

I live in town but I'm starting to hear lots of roosters at all hours of the day and evening.

And we have geckos.

9. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nutria? You said if I name it, you have it.

No reason to go home yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Around here, these things are getting up from their 17 year nap (or whatever they do for 17 years).
    9851DC5F-651C-4C32-A0D2-698C980B4830.jpeg

Because, apparently we don’t have enough signs of our impending doom already.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  11. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No Nutria but wild turkeys. They taste better than water rats.

12. VideoPokerNerd

VideoPokerNerd Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ALVIN!!

IMG_1077a.jpg

"Maiden Vegas" UP THE IRONS!
    1st time at Luxor
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is typical of the ones we see around here. Some of these can be incredibly tame.

[​IMG]

• Love Love x 1
  14. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those locusts are a pain in the ass! I swear I saw one hit my car windshield and it only dazed him. He got up on the hood and shook his fist at me!

Carcasses everywhere when their mission is complete and they die.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    geckos!! The house variety instills sheer terror in the hearts and minds of my wife and family. To the point that they have improvised "weapons" to capture and eliminate these horrible wild creatures, lol!

My wife has a fly swatter that is reinforced with cardboard to add strength to the swat. My daughter uses a mop handle with a cardboard "scraper" attached to shoo them off the ceiling. My grand kids keep a poster board handy so they can "scoot" the gecko out the front or back door.

Me? I just sit back in my recliner, relax and laugh as I take in the screams, squeals, and yells of my family as they go to war against these poor creatures. I tell them by all means make the effort to capture and release outside. No reason to kill these harmless pests.:p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. hard6

hard6 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ton of these “critters” lol
    upload_2020-6-13_8-14-5.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  17. hard6

hard6 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have those here in Hawaii too, but they seem to hang out near dumps or behind trackers tilling soil or lawnmowers, adapting to our ever changing environment

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I forgot about these guys, lol! As @makikiboy mentioned these guys are taking over, even in the urban areas. My wife's working place has tons of these, as the boss himself started raising them and feeding them. His place is in an industrial area but I heard he keeps some at his house, probably to the dismay of his neighbors.

19. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it was revealing this thread was posted under Hooker Stories——just a small observation during such distancing times.....

20. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have simple wild life here.... not much but i guess just got enough (live in suburb Greater Detroit Area) it’s mostly deers, coyotes, occasionally fox but nothing too exciting.