1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What's your wild life like?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Happygirl21, Jun 11, 2020.

1. progrocker2112

progrocker2112 Watch out for this guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw a skunk in my front yard when I was about to walk to work at 5am. I gave it a wide berth.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I caught this a while back. They tell me it's an egret.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. progrocker2112

progrocker2112 Watch out for this guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure you don't egret taking that pic though.

• Funny Funny x 6
  4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you sure your name is not Alpert?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  5. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I encounter all the regular ....raccoons, skunks, squirrels.... almost daily.

Last week I almost nailed a coyote.

A few years ago, a bald eagle set up shop for a couple of weeks about 30 feet away.

I’ve also had the pleasure of watching a wolf take down a deer. Again 30 feet away. National geographic moment. Seeing a wolf in these parts is like winning the lottery.

Sorry. I’m not one for pictures.

6. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    20200330_095311.jpg

• Like Like x 10
    • Love Love x 1
  7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have squirrels ("tree rats"), mostly the reddish Fox Squirrel, but some grey ones and seldom a black one. In Council Bluffs, on the east side of the river, black squirrels are far more common.

Yes, rabbits, of course, all over the place.

We have raccoons all over the place, but you seldom see them except on the side of the road. :( You seldom see skunks but you do occasionally smell one, again, often on the side of the road.

Now on 168th St. there is a flock of wild turkeys that often times gathers around one intersection. I assume somebody in the area is feeding them. They are indeed smart in crossing the streets, as they will wait until traffic is gone. You never see them on the side of the road.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Resized_20190725_155723.jpeg

• Love Love x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  9. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Forgot about the wild turkeys. One was so brazen that it owned the road. It would stand in the middle of the road and investigate each vehicle.

City had to set up a sign warning drivers of its presence. I was driving my wife’s car when it decided to attack.....that was fun!!!

10. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    upload_2020-6-11_22-30-5.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 1
  11. GamblingGranny

GamblingGranny Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have coyotes, the occasional pheasant, and the bane of my existence, those damn bunnies! I went out on my patio the other day and one was sitting right in the middle of my flower pot! A day later the pot was totally bare. Now they’re starting on one of my large pots. They have to stand up on their back legs to nibble away. They chewed the cord to our water feature as well. I sent out the dogs, but the rabbits take a right and our dogs go straight Anyone know how to get rid of them?

12. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

You can buy a spray at Lowes or Home Depot that smells terrible. Spray the plants and the rabbits will avoid those plants.

• Like Like x 1
  13. wesraft

wesraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had a bull moose wander through the neighborhood the other day, just two doors down! That was a first for me. We see them in the mountains, wetlands often but it was cool to have Bullwinkle pay a visit.

• Like Like x 2
  14. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being in Florida we have many small ponds and lakes with fish. Not many swim in them as alligators love them too

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Front yard in April.

IMG_0115.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  16. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

As of this post -
    At this moment I have a Possum in my front stoop cage !
    It's pissed.....hissing.....nasty set of teeth
    And a woodchuck in the backyard cage !
    And I just finished baiting my 3rd cage ( in the backyard ) next
    to the woods.
    Caught 2 woodchucks the other day.
    I cover the cages with a black plastic bag while the animal(s)
    are in there.
    Then, I call the Pest Control company
    They charged us $250 to set up.....and $75 for every trip to pick up.
    My Complex has a woodchuck infestation......but pseudo management
    says " It's your problem, we are not responsible."
    My impulsive wife called Pest Control - before I could negotiate w neighbors
    and split the bill.
    So....my wife says she'll pay for it.........but somehow the $250 cash came out of my pocket ?
    Imagine that ?
    >
    I went to my neighbors and said " I have an offer you can't refuse."
    I told them " we are footing the bill...just let me put a cage on your property ?"
    They loved " free " !
    I caught the first woodchuck in an hour - but then my neighbor says to me -
    " I hate to see the animal in the cage for too long !"
    I wanted to say " Okay....then you pay Pest Control $75 to pick up ONE woodchuck, now and
    $75 again, in another hour after that."
    Jack off

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is lots of wildlife in Texas...down at a friends ranch, you see deer, wild hogs, coyotes, bobcats, snakes, buzzards, hawks, raccoons, etc.

I don't know the exact reason, though I suspect the constant spraying of cotton fields and other open agricultural areas, our wildlife is more limited. We see an occasional armadillo, smell a skunk (usually only see them rooting for food in freshly turned fields), lots of birds, a possum or two, lots of birds and one damned squirrel.

The squirrel is an agent of KAOS and is battling CONTROL all. Control is represented here by my beautiful wife, Agent 99. She tries to repress the squirrel by all means short of gun play; making the bird feeder as secure as possible. The KAOS agent has all day to work through security measures and spill all available bird seed on the ground while eating a little of it. I am surprised that he is not catching hell from his boss at KAOS; he is getting overweight and moving slower (gee, that is way too familiar...).

Some good does come of these incursions. Our hens love to come into the backyard and clean up the waste alongside a variety of birds who also enjoy the feast. The birds don't seem to care that the feed is outside the designated cafeteria. They eat some and then they enjoy a bath in their own private pool...a rock with a carved out area for water that came to us from McGregor, Texas that originally belonged to my wife's grandparents and was on their ranch. It got here to SE Texas in the 90's and I had the honor of figuring out how to lift that heavy thing into my truck bed and transport it when we moved into this house. The truck sustained damage in the move and I had a sore back for a while...did I say that it was heavy?

Did anyone else watch "Get Smart" when we were a bit younger?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my unsupervised days as a carefree youth (meaning I was told to get out of the house and stay out until dinner time), I swam a time or two in water I knew held alligators. Fortunately, they did not bother us...it could have turned out a lot different!

How often do you wonder how you survived to adulthood? I do so fairly often...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a wooded backyard so we have all the usual chipmunks, squirrels and bunnies galore. And we get deer, wild turkeys and our share of coyotes Funny story, my first coyote experience was one in the backyard, and at first I thought it was a lost dog as we get our share of those, too. It looked like it was really hungry, so I ran into the house to find it something to eat. Darn thing waited for me, and I tossed it some chicken tenders. It gobbled them up and then slunk away. Then I had a revelation and looked up coyote, and I swear the picture was of the exact one in my yard! Since then I stopped feeding them, but I can't help but admire them even though I am terrified for my pups.

It's the birds that amaze me here. We have cardinals, blue jays, robins, all the little tree climbers like nut hatches, chickadees phoebes and so many more. But the main thing is we have tons of woodpeckers. Pretty much every singe type that live in New England. Downy, sapsuckers, red-bellied and several of the great big pileated ones. Going out in the morning with coffee you get a serenade complete with the drumming, and it is pretty amazing. Unfortunately, we are constantly dealing with the damage they all do. I take crappy pictures but here is one of these pileated woodpeckers through the screen. They look positively prehistoric!

621C92F8-46CB-4A3E-A43C-212DEFF11BBB.jpeg

The other morning my husband saw a big Mama Possum in the backyard with a bunch of babies on her back. I was sad I missed that, but I am hoping she lives nearby as we have a tick problem, and I would love her and her babies to gobble some of them up!

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  20. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, so you mean bear?

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th