1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What's your wild life like?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Happygirl21, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Over the last two weeks my wild life has been bustling here in New Jersey. It seems every time I'm just sitting outside or walking my dog I'm coming face to face with some of Nature's creatures. All of these have been within extremely close proximity to my house. Be at either in my yard or the field immediately next to my house. Here's a few pictures:
    "They" tell me this was a baby copperhead, which I nearly stepped on.
    20200611_155606.jpg
    20200611_085619.jpg
    Ps- that's a 15inch ruler.
    20200611_155626.jpg This was the second sighting in 4 days. I have a feeling we've got a few near by.
    20200601_145112.jpg
    I haven't been able to snap any pictures of the coyote that comes around or the other regular little wildlife. But trust me I feel like I live on a zoo lately.

What's the wildlife like near you these days?
    ETA: The local heron, piebald deer ( he was from the fall but unique, I hear some local hunters took him out:( ), and our "friendly" squirrel.
    Resized_20200326_120133.jpg
    20200605_074405.jpg
    Resized952019110395162819(1).jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 13
    • Love Love x 10
    • Wow! Wow! x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, here I thought we were going to hear party stories.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Funny Funny x 12
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  3. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mostly deer intent on destroying my garden and occasional bunnies.

Snakes around here are harmless, but annoyingly always in my path. DH gives them a trip to the pasture and they are back to the house before I am.

I don't so much see skunks as smell them, usually when they've met up with a car.

The rest of the wildlife belongs to us. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  4. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Other than raccoons, rats and mice? None.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in the city, but there are forest preserves and cemeteries nearby so we often see a few other critters in our area in addition to the usual city dwellers. LOL Within a few blocks radius from where I live, I've seen deer, raccoons, coyotes, Fox, rats, mice, squirrels, rabbits, and stray dogs/cats.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lions and Tigers and Bears...OH MY!

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very similar to you @Happygirl21. My ring doorbell cam has picked up a fox, a turkey, and random cats within the last few weeks. We also have coyotes, bunnies, and a ton of black bears recently. Occasional deer sighting or runaway cow as well.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Deer, fox, skunks, and raccoons are frequently spotted in our vicinity, plus a few nudists :eek: that hang out up by the lake.

RICHARD

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  9. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At my house or within 100 yards.
    Deer at House.jpeg IMG_2798.jpeg
    Deer.jpeg
    Discovery Trail Raccoon.jpeg

Within one mile.
    IMG_2521.jpeg IMG_0399.jpeg

These suckers are everywhere, the bane of fish, and especially fishermen.

IMG_1395.jpeg

I don't have photos of elk around our place, but they don't often show up. Thankfully, I've no photos of cougars, although friends have seen them. The bears are everywhere and are quite a nuisance.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 12
    • Love Love x 10
    • Wow! Wow! x 3
  10. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently had a squirrel sitting about 18 inches away from my back door. I unlocked and opened the inside door. The squirrel just sat there and looked at me, took a step or two, stopped, then casually walked off. I don't know if it was sick, a tame one, or hungy and looking for a handout. I did not open the screen door until it left. I did not want it trying to get inside.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  11. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live on the island of Oahu, Hawaii in the suburbs. We don’t have any of the critters mentioned so far except lots of birds and an occasional wild pig. Too much people crammed here even the birds are sick of us.

I wish we had some wildlife visit us but I imagine they can wreak havoc on properties and gardens.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  12. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only wildlife near us here in northern L.A. suburbs is coyotes. Hear them howling all night long, and see them loping across the streets if you happen to be driving somewhere in early mornings before dawn.
    Cats and little dogs left outside are the prime targets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You name it and we have it. Black bears, deer, snakes, turtles, raccoons, armadillos, panthers, rabbits, eagles, osprey, hawks, song birds, squirrels and even coyotes . Have a fence that helps but the deer eat Mrs flyguy's plants (have to spray) and the creatures bug my dog on late night and early morning forays into the back yard.

Edited to add a fox was seen about 0630 today. Our place is about 2.2 miles from a national forest where all critters roam.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
  14. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What part of Jersey is that? Pine Barrens?

15. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The birds here are getting cheeky, probably because they are hungry due to lack of tourists dropping their trash. The squirrels in our communal garden are having a wonderful time, because it has been closed since March 14th. It is opening up on Monday, I hope they still feel welcome. I love watching the baby squirrels playing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is lots of wildlife around here lately. Deer, turkeys, eagles, and raccoons.

We live between two lakes so there are herons, ducks , geese, and coots. Pelicans passed through on their way North. For whatever reason we have lots of Turkey Vultures hanging around this year. The dog found a dime size painted turtle baby last week. It was only the size of a dime. Several different kind of frogs.

New litters of rabbits, squirrels, and chipmunks must have been born there are babies everywhere. Hummingbirds have returned for the Summer with the Orioles too.

Usually I see fox and coyote, but have not seen any this year so far. Thankfully I have not run across any snakes yet. They are the only things I really fear, irrationally fear.

I just love all the animals that live around here....except the snakes.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's so boring here. Hawks. Coyotes but we hear them a lot more than we see them. I miss all the critters from the last place. But this too shall pass some day. ;)

18. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Birds, squirrels, possums opossums, coons, skunks, snakes, lizards, horntoads, and the occasional bunny rabbit. Probably a few mice and rats around, too (there always are).

19. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually no. I'm about 50 mins in either direction from Jersey City and The Poconos. I guess you'd say northwest.

• Like Like x 1
  20. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in a fairly rural Texas County even though it's not that far from Houston. We have all kinds of birds up to and including eagles and falcons. For large wild animals we have deer, feral hogs and an occasional alligator. BTW, if you have ever wondered; deer and cars don't mix well, feral hogs even less so!