1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Keeping your stuff safe at pools

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Ruark, Jun 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruark

Ruark Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you're in the water and swimming around, how secure is your stuff back on the chaise? For me, for example, I have the towel, my shoes, room key, maybe glasses, and also a hearing aid. Have you ever known people to have their stuff grabbed while they were swimming? Are there more secure ways to leave it? If some dipwad picked up my glasses and/or hearing aid, it would really be a trip-ruiner. I'm going solo on my next trip, and was just thinking about this, especially if the pools are more crowded.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  2. Elizakess

Elizakess Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a company called pac safe that has for fairly cheap this mesh bag made of something unbreakable that folds in a little square and attaches to a stationary object with your lock that I use to prevent theft. It works for me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. LuckyDuckyDan

LuckyDuckyDan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also have one of those Pacsafe bags. It also comes in handy when your hotel room doesn't have a room safe, since you can attach/lock it onto any secure object.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Correct. I have a 5L Pacsafe bag. It does the job, but I don't use it a whole lot for two reasons...

1. It's bulkier than it appears to be (and can't fold), so if you're travelling with a limited luggage capacity this can be an issue.

2. It attracts attention. To the type of person who would steal something from a random person at the pool, they don't necessarily want to go rifling through towels and coverups laying around on chairs that might contain phones/wallets/money, so as to not be conspicuous about what they're trying to do. Whereas if they do see a bag like this, it's a dead giveaway both that you have something worth stealing, and that it's extremely easy to spot. Perhaps they can't grab the bag and run off... but perhaps they'll hang back and wait for you to open the bag and look the other way.

The other thing about leaving valuables outside in Vegas during the hot weather is that heat damage absolutely can occur. Inside a non-breathable fabric like this, it could be a death sentence for more sensitive items that can be affected by heat of 100+ degrees.

Out of all of the items you listed, I think that virtually nothing is a theft risk...

Towel: The pool provides these, so it's the hotel's property, not yours. Thus, you have no reason to worry about it.

Shoes: Unless they're designer shoes, nobody is going to steal these. In general I'd recommend wearing flip flops to the pool anyway. Your biggest risk with either is that they might get kicked away from your lounge chair and lost. If you're worried about that, perhaps bring a shopping bag with you and weigh it down on the chair with a towel.

Room key: I use a waterproof pouch like this one to hold my room key and any other small items. Mind you, you'll likely need to bring your ID as well if the pool is 21+ or if you plan on doing any room charges. Possibly a bit of cash too. You can get one of these for about $10 just about anywhere.

Maybe glasses: If this is a "maybe" item for you, I would do your best to simply not bring them. Not just for the sake of protecting against loss/theft (nobody is going to steal prescription glasses), but also for the sake of damage, since glasses are usually fragile. Imagine forgetting your glasses are hidden in a towel and you sit on it by accident. I'd try to remove that risk altogether.

Hearing aid: I think @ffejry can help you out a bit more on this... but from what I understand about hearing aids, if it's waterproof you can simply wear it in and to the pool. If it isn't waterproof, like the glasses I'd advise leaving it in your room for the very same reasons.

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
  7. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd like to add...

1) Heat. Summer months, my phone often gets too hot just by sitting on a towel at the pool. I often have to put it in between a towel just to keep it out of the sun. Even 5-10 minutes exposure, the phone tells me that it is too hot.

2) Waterproof pouches. My buddy actually got me one of those things where you can put the phone into a ziplock-like bag (or pouch) and it has a cord that you can put around your neck. It is bulky and can make things awkward, especially if you have a lot of things, but it does work and it is waterproof, so you can still use the phone while you are in the pool. Personally, since I am solo most of the time at the pool, I just pick a spot at the pool and stay there. I never stray away from my things. If I gotta use the bathroom, then everything comes with me. If I lose my spot, I pick a new one. So my spot at the pool is basically wherever is open at the pool deck. I know social distancing rules might make this harder, but I will absolutely figure it all out.

3) Hearing aids. Let's be clear that there are a lot of hearing aid models. My model, the Nucleus 7, has an Aquatic case. I don't think it is perfect, but it works and if I accidentally dip my head under the water with it (which I avoid, because if it gets fried at the pool... I don't have a backup for the rest of the trip!!!) So check your manufacturer's accessories and see if they have a kit for you. Otherwise, I think you will be fine leaving the hearing aid in the room if this is a concern. I only bring mine because there might be poolside blackjack where I am staying at (Wynn) so having it is helpful. Other than that, I usually leave mine in the room.

3) Glasses. Do you wear contacts? Why not get temporary contacts if you don't have any. A free sample, even. Just an idea.

At the pool, I bring:
    -Debit card
    -Room key
    -Sunglasses
    -Phone
    -*maybe* my cochlear implant, depending on the resort and poolside blackjack options.

That's about it. My swimtrunks will hold the debit card and room key, so the phone is all I have to worry about.

8. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bring the minimum amount of stuff to the pool. Usually ID, room key, iPhone, and my backpack which has stuff like sunscreen, case for sunglasses, magazine, etc. When I go into the water, pretty much everything is in my bag underneath my chair. Usually I hit up the pool at Delano Beach Club which is pretty small, so even if I'm in the water, I can still keep an eye on my stuff. If I were to go to the wave pool or lazy river, I think I would consider a locker or something.

• Like Like x 1
  9. callahanha

callahanha Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bring the bare minimum down to the pool. Suntan lotion, book and then I have a small pouch with a velcro strap to attach to the chair. I put my room key and about 15 dollars in it. I leave the phone in the room as I am on vacation and don't want to be disturbed by family back home

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People didn’t used to steal prescription glasses, but because modern frames are reusable they do disappear. I left a pair at a video poker bar a few years back and fully expected that someone would have handed them to the bartenders. They had a box with about six pairs, but only the dorkiest and mostly plastic frames. Without insurance most of my wire frames are priced over $250. And because I’m nearsighted I wouldn’t go to a Vegas pool without them.

11. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just juryrig something.

I have a little zipper lunch bag... with dual sliders on the zipper. It was a giveaway at a trade show...size: maybe big enough for two 17oz sodas. Big enough for stuff I take to pool..... phone for music, earpods, room key, Player's cards. A few bucks. Sunscreen. Wallet and cash stay in-room safe.

Bought one of those travel locking cables with padlock

I put stuff in bag, loop cable to lounge chair, and attach cable to lock, with the lock shackle threaded through holes on both zipper pulls.

My objective.... not major security. I just want to deter the casual passerby from making a convenient opportunity grab, or a kid doing what kids do.

Very packable - I'm a carryon only guy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if you leave an item of value in sight, there is always someone who sees an opportunity, I put my wallet, room key, phone, ect inside of my shoes, place shirt and towel over shoes on the chair and look over at it every now and then, no issues

13. ChilliPalmer

ChilliPalmer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There’s a company called Aqua Vault that made some hard plastic vaults for beach chairs. They made something much smaller, more flexible, and compact called Flex Vault. It fits on most chairs, bars, etc. I use it at beaches, pools, cruises etc.

Sometimes I do a daybed or cabana with a safe. When I don’t, I bring this along. Well worth it. You’ll see pretty high quality reviews too.

As for drawing attention, I don’t think that’s a concern. You could simply cover it with a towel or hat.

Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/FlexSafe-Anti-Theft-Portable-Packable-Resistant/dp/B07GVRTZH9?ref_=ast_sto_dp

14. woodsie

woodsie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I keep my phone, room key, credit card, and ID in a waterproof pouch and then I put that pouch in my swim shorts pocket.

They make them with neck lanyards and waist straps as well. You won't be really cool looking in the pool, but it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.