1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Quirky, Boring or just flat Weird things you enjoy?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Multifarious5, Jun 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good stuff (Navy man here :D )!

Sometimes I get in the mood for a particular project and go at it. Here is a 1953 Philco radio I picked up a few years ago. Most people consider it a part of their "Tropic" series of radios, and it covers a number of different bands.

I went through and restored the electronics, and then spruced up the cabinet some. It works great, and I'm pretty sure the tubes are original!

Before (crappy picture, but it gives an idea of the condition in which I got it).
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

I guess some people might consider this a quirky, or weird hobby. :kill:

• Like Like x 10
    • Love Love x 1
  2. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mudhen the American Pickers sure would not.

3. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the Washington Wizards, I’m one of nine people in the United States that likes them. :)

July 19th - July 24th
    • Funny Funny x 6
  4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn, there's 15 on the roster!

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The way they play.... I'm staying with 9 people :).

July 19th - July 24th
  6. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cleaning the house, in particularly mopping.

I come from a long line of meticulous, neat freaks.

I have all white tile throughout the house, there is something so damn satisfying about the smell of Ms. Meyers, and seeing my floors sparkling clean as they dry.

I also love the smell of any kind of household cleaner; Fabuloso, bleach, Mr.Clean, Ms. Meyers, Windex you name it.. except one; Pine Sol. It makes me retch. Not kidding.

• Wow! Wow! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. LvBlitzforce

LvBlitzforce VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha thats funny i also love grocery shopping for some odd reason, so much so to the point where my gf almost hates going now because she knows we're going to be there a while. For me though i think its more of the thrill of the deal, by using the store apps, coupons they send in the mail, and just the hunt of getting amazing deals.

I literally hate all other shopping otherwise..... its been well over a year where i've physically shopped at a store for anything rather than just ordering clothes, shoes, etc. online and hoping for the best.

8. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also love the smell of every cleaning product EXCEPT Pine Sol!
    I love the smell of windex, sprayaway....the smell of the tri-colored wax product at the car wash.
    Ajax, Comet, Barkeepers Friend.
    Mr. Clean, Fabulouso, Murphy's oil soap, Pledge and especially Weiman's Lemon Oil.
    My favorite smell on earth is freshly cleaned men's dress shirts, sheets or table cloths..... slightly starched.

I enjoy growing annual plants from seed but strangely, I lose interest once they are ready to plant.
    I am extremely interested in permaculture and edible landscapes combined with medicinal landscape in urban settings.

I used to love shopping of any kind.
    Now I'm a "get in/get your stuff/get the hell out" ASAP kinda person.
    Online shopping is good, delivery is better.

I enjoy making frou-frou blended drinks.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    • Love Love x 1
  9. nefarious888

nefarious888 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I collect ceiling fans, particularly models from the 80s and 90s as I find they provide comfort in the form of happy memories.

10. RedRiverRose

RedRiverRose VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love going to estate sales. I love reading books and I love fishing.

11. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

Might want to have a blood test to see if you are deficient in some mineral.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting you should say that.
    I use to chew on ice. Pica.

Slow release iron.
    I no longer have the urge to chew on ice.

I only use cleaning agents when I'm cleaning something.
    I've never sprayed them just because I like their scent.

13. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was young I saw a Vincent Price movie called “The Raven” which featured a battle of wizards, one of whom was a prestidigitator. I wondered if that might be a latent talent which could be exercised with practice. I still try to wave the bedroom door open before I actually grab the door knob. And I have absolutely no reason to disclose that to anyone!

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess it's the geek in me, but I've always been into the latest electronics, computer, and tech gear. So, part of my disposal income over the years (with the exception of my travel and Vegas funds) went into buying new electronics devices, computers and accessories, and other gadgets. LOL I'm not always the first in line to buy the latest and greatest when products are released, but I keep an active wish list of things that I wouldn't mind having. I can't afford everything on my list, but I splurge every now and then.

In my younger days, I use to build my own gaming PCs and one of my hobbies was also 35mm photography. Needless to say, I ended up investing a lot in 35mm format cameras/accessories over the years until digital took over. Today, I'm into 180/360 cameras which is starting to become more mainstream, as well as virtual reality headsets. Sony just came out with a new point and shoot camera (Sony ZV1) targeted for vloggers/YouTube creators which has recently peaked my interest. It's currently on presale along with a nice discount. It would be a nice step up from shooting videos with a camera phone (especially when I visit Vegas, LOL). It's small, light, and packed with features, so it's ideal for traveling and shooting on the fly.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will not sell, throw out, or in any other way get rid of books. Any. I even have my college textbooks. We have bookcases overflowing and layers deep, plus boxes of books. I finally relented and agreed that my wife and daughter could get rid of their textbooks, but my astronomy textbook from *mumbles* years ago? Nope, that's staying. I just enjoy physical books, and being surrounded by them. I also don't think bookshelves should be neat and tidy. They should be overflowing and piled up.

• Like Like x 4
  16. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha! I've been told the same thing, but it's because every since I was a child I loved – LOVED vinegar. I would often sneak into the kitchen and steal a drink of good old apple cider vinegar. I still love it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. LVisBeautiful

LVisBeautiful High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How do you fly to Vegas? I’d be scared but I do remember those days, I heard airplane turbulence was rough back then

18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My one aunt once said that she would occasionally go get a glass of straight vinegar out of the bottle and drink it. LOL, if yer gonna do that, at least go for some cheap wine! :)

19. TexasLady

TexasLady Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love doing laundry.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  20. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Waiting For “Very Good” Video Poker @ Rio…

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve had this weird itch to build a gaming pc... main reason it’s weird is I know I would ultimately not use it, or almost exclusively use it for stuff I could do with a much cheaper setup. I bought this to scratch the itch, mainly because it’s so portable I think I’m a lot more likely to get good use out of it for something, and it’s probably half of what I would have spent on parts that I would then have to... actually learn to build a pc to get set up (so yeah, another reason why I consider my “itch” weird :confused::haha:)...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-max-handheld-game-console-for-aaa-games/x/15372511#/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.