1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Stay safe y’all

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by saintpauljeff, May 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    they kept their protest fairly peaceful here, except when they tried to block the expressway in a city that the police dont play that crap. they broke it up quick.

fun fact, they call in the National Guard but the NG doesnt have bullets in their guns

• Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be safe everyone.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  3. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The protesters started out peaceful here in downtown Chicago, then everything turned really ugly when the sun went down. We're currently under a curfew until 6am Sunday. I hope everyone is staying safe until this craziness subsides. :(

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  4. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's getting crazy in Los Angeles and my hometown of San Diego too. This level of violence is disgraceful.

The city of LA is under curfew until 5:30a tomorrow. I work in the city so I hope it's safe to go in come Monday.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  5. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Live in LA too & under curfew. It’s disheartening to go through this again. I was here for the 1992 riots too. I hope this cools down soon. Stay safe everyone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  6. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hope all you folks in those other cities with rioting activities came out ok last night. Last night in Minneapolis our law enforcement and Natl Guard acted swiftly and we had a very quiet night in our neighborhood. So happy to have gotten some sleep finally! Proud of our community being vigilant and looking out for one another.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  7. Wallew

Wallew VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just don’t understand how people can think that setting buildings on fire and looting stores helps the cause of a protest. If anything it takes away from the people who are peacefully protesting.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  8. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Good to hear it was a much better night for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One year ago today, our major concern was how the finals of the NBA and NHL would turn out. We thought sellouts, in spite of how high ticket prices were, would never end. We could watch a never ending parade of sports. It being Sunday, a good portion of us would be at the beach or the lake. Many of us here would be planning or even be at a Las Vegas, making plans to meet a fellow green wristbander for a cocktail or beer or getting psyched to go see Aerosmith at Caesars'.

This year, we wonder if there will even be a next year.

We are building toward something really big, bigger than any of us can imagine.

Is it possible to feel rage and soul crushing sadness at the same time?

We are being polite and sticking to the VMB rules.

• Love Love x 11
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. rooster42000

rooster42000 Goat of all Goats , My Hero

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Florida is still the same , curfew was 8 pm and Miami , Tampa , Orlando are having issues tonight , with crowds.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  11. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Huge group forming in Boston right now....don't know where that is headed.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    La Crosse had peaceful protests from my understanding. Although they were causing traffic blockages on some streets .

Madison was very peaceful until basically the protests were done for the day. THEN the rioters came out and began trashing things (although nowhere near as bad as some cities). However this morning, Wisconsin spoke up again and hundreds helped clean up the messes, graffiti, broken glass etc.

This is what Wisconsin is:
    https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/this-morning-is-what-madison-is-hundreds-help-clean-up-after-75-stores-vandalized/article_9e46249f-fdc4-590a-a65f-1e9c163ec53c.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2020
  13. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fingers crossed for another quiet night... On block patrol 4-6am. Guess a few ppl tried going down the street a block over last night after midnight and they were successfully chased off. A little nervous the professional rioters will return this evening.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  14. iamsomedude

iamsomedude High-Roller

A place that is not Las Vegas, but I wish it was.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those that don't have some semblance of a food stockpile in my area are going to have a hard time getting food locally due to the looting.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  15. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd like to ask that people be careful with this thread. Please don't derail it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like many, I watch, shake my head, tsk tsk, at what I see through the perceived separation-safety of screens. I'm not uncaring, have opinions, but feel a combo of being unaffected and unable to have an effect.

Tonight, it took on a different meaning

I live in a small suburb 20 miles east of Oakland - separated by the hills that mark the SF Bay Area geography. .

There were protests, followed by looting and vandalism in Walnut Creek, an adjacent suburb, and then it spread to my community. We just went on curfew 90 minutes ago. Gangs were reported in the small commercial district a few hundred feet from my home. SF TV stations are showing footage of looting at several stores where I shop... some that were planning to reopen June 1.

The neighborhood is on edge. Neighbors on Nextdoor social media are going nuts. Several users are reposting agitator posts - who knows their origin - encouraging abandonment of cities... "move into the residential neighborhoods" with worse racial undertones in the messages/reposts. There are many online reports of gunfire in my neighborhood... I discount 90% of what I read... attributing most to hysteria. I wish someone on Nextdoor kept speculation and agitation in check.

This must be what it feels like... those nameless faces on TV declaring "this sort of thing never happens here." after violence erupts. I have a different perspective now.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  17. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ben Paris and Leeds? Haven't heard those names in a long time. Across 4th from the Bon Marche (Macys), right? I think we used to play pool at Ben Paris. Also played a lot at the 211. It was a pool hall straight out of the movie "The Hustler." Full reg tables and snooker too. Long time ago.

18. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Weird/depressing time we're living in.

July 19th - July 24th
    • Agree Agree x 5
  19. Maine Farmer

Maine Farmer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dalai Lama went live around the world Friday night using technology. Amazing

Attached Files:

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  20. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    211 Union! I worked there in high school and on-and-off during college. I progressed from a 16 year-old dishwasher, to waiter, to cook, to bartender, chiefly due to the fact that I showed up on time and preformed my duties with a minimum amount of bitching.

Working at the 211 gave me Street Cred with my peers. What stories!

211 chip.jpeg
    25¢ 211 Poker Chip.

(Sorry for hijacking this thread.)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.