1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Is LV country club nice? safe? Is E. LV to be avoided?

Discussion in 'Living in Sin (City that is)' started by KKB, May 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, everyone says live west...
    But I have seen some really nice places in east Vegas.
    One in the LV country club.
    Another on San Lucas Cir. (east of Eastern Ave. between Emerson & Twain)
    Safety is very important.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks!

2. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Speaking as a non resident who does a lot running around town every trip, the west isn't the only nice area. Henderson, which encompasses a very large area south of town has many nice areas. Summerlin and the west all the way down to Southern Highlands probably has some of the nicest (and priciest) neighborhoods in town. Up north you'll find numerous new developments, not so pricey.
    Fact is, LV is like most cities. Early developed areas have some toney, some middle class and some fixer upper areas.
    My friends have been in Green Valley (Henderson) since '98 and like it. Personally I would avoid the west side because of wind. I've played golf all over town and the wind just comes up heavier over there. Also all putts break towards The STRAT , so keep that in mind when buying a house!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If memory suits me there is a gated residential portion within the CC proper and another small gated condo complex on the edge of the CC but not really within. The area to the immediate north is a mess.

Safety and livability are very relative concepts. Bad neighborhoods have good neighbors and good neighborhoods have crime. You can find crime stats by larger area and any of our resident Vegas residents can talk up their complexes/'hoods and general areas, and certainly we all know spots where we'd not want to live. One of the things about Vegas is there are these spots of awesome mid-century modern homes right in the middle of shit. Tons of newer development all around the valley.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. Not sure either of those areas sound right. Explains why the one house was so nice for the price. And I would rather avoid more wind than necessary...
    Yeah I am looking in Henderson as well.
    Flights are rock bottom & not very full right now...we are thinking of going out & driving around a bit more than we have.

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And that wind thing is relative, because Las Vegas is the high desert and wind goes with life there. I don't have anything empirical to offer but I've been battered out northwest, down in Primm, out in Lake Las Vegas and the biggest wind I remember -- being a non-resident, I know I've not seen the worst -- was a day in Henderson when it blew 50.

Personally, I would find an area you like in the valley, that meets your needs for access to services, driving to work, whatever, and you likely will find the housing stock you desire in your price range (unless your budget is $150,000 and you want to be behind the gates at Dragonridge, for instance).

6. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes it's windy in Las Vegas more so in higher elevations (duh). But I would rather have that than the smog that settles in the eastern parts of Henderson. Drive east down Warm Springs and you will see what I mean.

I had a condo in the Rainbow / Sunset area I loved the area. Safety, Accessibility to shopping/ medical/ gambling/ 215 all boxes checked.

TomTWI

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The voice of experience. :thumbsup:

8. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think we are really liking Sun City Summerlin. DH loves to golf. Their membership is a bit cheaper if you live there.
    That being said, we may be able to get a bit more for our $ a bit outside of Sun City even if he had to pay a bit more for the golf membership.
    I am looking for townhouses (or condos; but their HOAs seem ridiculous) 2+BR/BA from $225-325K.
    I prefer updated kitchen & baths.
    I'm not worried about paint or fixtures as that is easy to fix.
    Definitely want an outdoor patio, preferably with some greenery & would love a W facing property & would probably consider doing updates ourselves for this--I'm thinking coffee on the patio in AM with the sun & cocktails out there in the shade later in the day.
    I took a gander at Zillow yesterday & there were lots of options in E Vegas (N & S) and Henderson area.
    Mom & I are considering going out the first week of June to look. (DH starts all his golf leagues that week so "can't" go)
    $58 RT flights & 5 nights comped at Caesars (IF they are open...)
    I'd be willing to get a property now but DH doesn't like the idea of doing it now when we know we won't move until next spring.

9. kip

kip Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sun city, or Summerlin , in the northwest and Anthem or Southern Highlands near Henderson are nice areas. Aliante is far north but also has a nice retirement community. You want to be in a retirement community to avoid the noisy neighbors that will make townhouse and condo living unbearable. Townhouses and condos both have HOA 's which have dues that are $200 to $300 a month. East Las Vegas is not where I would live. I wouldnt fly right now and Im with your husband to waite because the housing prices may be lower next spring if Las Vegas is still on the mend so to say.. Las Vegas Metro has a crime map on its website so you can see the crime in different areas https://www.crimemapping.com/map/nv/lasvegas

10. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was looking at properties this morning this is a new listing that I liked. I think it has what your are looking for. I agree on morning coffee on patio.

TomTWI

https://www.coldwellbanker.com/property/9295-Portland-Point-Ave-Las-Vegas-NV-89148/42845910/detail?src=list

HOA of $113/mo worth it in my opinion.

11. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice property. LOVE the patio area. It's on the list.
    I've got 5 nts comped at Caesars June 1-5; flights r $58RT but I have a feeling Allegiant will cancel at least one of those flights so not holding my breath.
    That was just going to be Mom & I.
    We are looking to go in mid-July now. (DH, DM, me & DS25 & DD22 have been invited if they can come--DD hasn't been since she was 13!)
    DH doesn't want to buy now; I would if we found the right place.
    But if nothing else it is good to get a feel for what is out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.