1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

ISO low cost cellphone plan?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by TracyinVegas, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TracyinVegas

TracyinVegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have lost my job (which is ok since I was expecting it and planned to retire) but what is worse for me is that I lost my company cellphone. I haven't paid in years and now I have to. Single line with Verizon=$59 total and, to me, a total scam.
    Anyone using lower cost service? Thanks folks!

2. greekjim

greekjim King Gyro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m going to try out mint mobile soon to see how it is

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're a current Comcast customer with internet service, they have unlimited data for $45/mo. If you don't use much data you can go as low as $12/mo. With the service you can only use a smartphone, they don't support flip phones. Unless you're paying them for a phone, there is no additional charge for the line - just for the data plan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought a Consumer's Cellular phone at Target and the plan is 25 bucks a month. It ain't much but the service is good. Depends if it's a trade-off of cell phone or food.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $59 isn't that bad if that's for unlimited data?
    You might see if any organizations you belong to have carrier discounts.
    I've used TMobile and Boost before, no issues with either, but I found TMobile coverage lacking outside cities.
    I know of someone that uses TracFone, it would never work for me, but if you hardly ever use a mobile maybe it would work.
    If you can get by with less data there are plans under $40.
    For the most part you get what you pay for.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  6. TracyinVegas

TracyinVegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks all- I will look into Mint and Consumer Cellular.

• Like Like x 1
  7. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have Consumer Cellular for two flip phones just used for calling each other. Cheap and good coverage so far. You can text if desired.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SpencerC11

SpencerC11 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We switched to Visible wireless 5 months ago. They are owned by Verizon and our bill is $25/month for unlimited everything including data and hotspot. No problems yet.

• Informative Informative x 3
  9. oldcrabtom

oldcrabtom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a look at tracfone......very inexpensive , good service ,works in Vegas too

• Like Like x 1
  10. Frankr163

Frankr163 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try AT&T prepaid.
    I have 2 lines, unlimited calls and texts. Includes 2 GB data /line.
    The cost is $55 with taxes and fees.
    You can get just one line for 1/2 those prices.
    The LG Phoenix phone that I use cost $75.
    Stay away from the cheaper Alcatel phones.

11. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We use Consumer Cellular. If you're an AARP member you get free equipment when opening account and 5% off of your bill. For 2 phones we pay about $35/mth when we use little data. For unlimited data our bill increases to about $55/mth. That's for 2 phones, unlimited data. Just added the MIL to the account and now with 3 phones unlimited data the bill is hitting $75/mth.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Boogaloo

Boogaloo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had Mint Mobile for a few years and quite like them (note that they use the T-Mobile Network, so if that network works well in your area, so will Mint).

$15 plus tax a month is hard to beat, but it does come with a 3gb data cap. I've never used that much since I don't really watch many videos online and tend to stick with WiFi, but your mileage may vary of course.

My parents use it as well and like it for its simplicity, and low cost - but they don't really use a lot of data either, so again this isn't a good plan for you if you plan on using a lot of data each month.

• Like Like x 1
  13. greekjim

greekjim King Gyro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With mint mobile, 8gb a month for the first three month intro deal is $20 a month, the price goes up to $35 a month after the three months. If you pay up for the 6 month plan, the price is $25 a month. If you pay a year up front, that plan is $20 a month.
    I am going to try them out with that three month intro plan.

14. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This! I've been t-mobile for years, after Verizon, but both are so pricey.

I tried Sprint's Kickstart plan for $25 a a month. Awful reception.

My mom signed up for Xfinity mobile, $12 for one gig, loved it. I tried it. $12 for one gig, $12 for each gig after (once you dip over 1.x gig, or 2.x gig, you get charged full additional gig price of $12 extra dollars, but still a steal) , or unlimited for more.

I tried $12 a month for one gig, since I piggyback on home wifi. LOVE IT. Haven't passed one gig yet due to piggybacking wifi.

Call quality has been great. (I've heard Xfinity piggybacks on Verizon's network.)

The only bummer is Pic texts can be spotty on wifi, I don't get many, and people don't receive mine, IF I sent via wifi. But, keep your mobile data on, and it works via, sms mobile data. (I now just keep mobile and wifi data on, and it only dips into mobile data when I need it....aka sms Pic messages.)

For $13 a Month with great call quality? I'm totally OK having to turn my mobile data on to send/receive a pic text, but just know there are a few glitches on Pic texting.

The only other negative is, Xfinity only works with certain phones. I'm an android gal, so S8 and above. Not sure on iPhones, iPhones and I don't gel, but check xfinity website for model requirements. (I bought a Galaxy note 9 from Samsung directly. I still got 24 months free financing, and $250 less than if I purchased on xfinity, so if you DO buy a new phone, also check out direct from the mfg. They still give free financing on approved credit, and often at a much cheaper price than through a store or cell provider. I did this with my previous moto Z Force phone priot to this too, bought directly from Motorola. Gone are the days of free phones with providers, so consider a cheaper price directly with the mfg. )

So, if phone is compatible, xfinity is absolutely worth a try....ive been very happy.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  15. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was a recent update on my Note and my wife's S10 that fixed the wifi picture message issue.

You're right, Xfinity Mobile does use Verizon's network, so it's their service at a significant discount.

16. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whoa, if that update fixes it, I will do cartwheels! I love their (Xfinity) service/reception, so if I can get this kink ironed out? Then they will rank PERFECT provider in my book.... and for $13 a month!

Thanks so much Gov!

PS for those skeptical of Xfinity's dirt cheap price, (dirt cheap WITH good service/reception) , my totally jaded/skeptical thought is, run with it.

Cable is crazy expensive. With Hulu, Netflix, Sling, etc. many people are cutting the cable cord. To get xfinity mobile at $12+, you have to be a subscriber, or pay $20+ more a month. Seems like a pretty brilliant way to keep cable customers paying for cable. So my peabrained thought is, it's dirt cheap not to be altruistic, but to keep the cable cash cow running by creating a new tether to customers.

Since hubs loves college sports, we're not cutting cable, so it makes sense for us to captilize on their direct cheap mobile add on!

17. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You only have to have the internet service, so there's no requirement to have cable TV.

18. Nick61

Nick61 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had mint mobile for one yr now.

And I'm overall pretty happy, believing it's decent value for what you get.

19. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would help to know a few things.

Do yo have a phone, or need to get one?
    Guessing you only need one line - but not sure. Others you can share a plan with?
    How much data do you need?

20. willowox

willowox Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We switched to Comcast and our bill for 2 phones runs between $24-36 total per month. It does piggyback on Verizon and we have had no problems at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.