1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

As we talk about travel ...

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, May 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As someone who hates to drive on vacation, an RV is never the answer for any of my questions ;-)

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep. And not something on our interest list. Now one of those converted MB units might be cool to rent from time to time. Something that you still wouldn't mind driving but if you didn't want to hotel or VRBO or whatever it for some nights you have a place to shelter. We both grew up as campers, I once backpacked a good amount, but no more.

Do not mind at all road-trip vacations. Not always, sometimes flying just makes more sense. Sometimes driving does.

• Like Like x 1
  3. iamsomedude

iamsomedude High-Roller

A place that is not Las Vegas, but I wish it was.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    A comprehensive plan that includes feasible enforcement is key. Without that, talking about staying safe(er) is just fart in the wind. I’m guessing the largest holdups for that are lack of personnel and how to navigate through laws when dealing with unruly and uncooperative people.

4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a little place in WA State called Grays Harbor County and I love it. I would move there yesterday if the commute wouldn't kill my husband. ;) We regularly take the 3 hour drive to day trip out there. We stay for 2-3 nights at some rental condos a couple times a year just to get away from it all. I have made friends with the local winery owners, some restaurant workers and other locals. I miss all of it terribly because it's the place I go when the rest of the world is making me crazy.

When all this started, they announced that they were closing down and didn't want us urban county dwellers in King, Kitsap and Pierce County bringing COVID out to them. Understandable, but still... :cry: But we respect it and comply. I know when they open, they will be happy to have us come back and spread our Seattle Bucks around the area. And we will be glad to do it. We've been doing things like buying from the winery and having them ship. They've been spending their time while they are closed converting their distillery to make hand sanitizer and fun gift baskets. Yes please, ship it all to me! We got a message from our favorite local restaurant about their special Mother's Day takeout meal. They included an option for locals and non-locals who can't be there, to buy meals for someone in need in the city. I happily bought five.

I got the same email from Bend, OR. I wasn't planning a trip there this spring, but I appreciated their clear communication about what works for them to preserve their community. I wouldn't want someone to come over and poop in my living room either. :haha:

We have gotten out. We took a drive up into the forest service roads to find a place to get in the sun and have a picnic and be away from computers and cellphones for a day. I spent a lot of time looking at possible locations and then looking at the guidelines for the local community. Those that asked us to stay away were off the list immediately. We still found a good place to get away for a little bit and when they want us back at those other places, I will put them back on the list.

I'm not quite sure I'm ready for the Best Western, but those condos at the beach sent out an email that they might be taking some reservations for June. They are requiring a 5 night minimum, which is a lot for us and complicated with our schedules, but I'm looking forward to spending a little time out there, watching waves, waving at our neighbors, social distancing on the beach and spending money at our favorite places again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As you know, Sonya, Bend is one of those places that struggles with the us/them dynamic. The most recent Californian or Arizonan in of course wanted to pull up the drawbridge even before COVID. The real natives (such as they are) ... They also know that their beloved lifestyle dies w/o the infusion of tourism dollars. The stuff they love might get more crowded, the bustle increases, but it would not exist as it does if the town was locked into the population and economy it had c. 1978, when the physical attributes were all there but so was the dying economy.

It is cool you and Dan are respecting the local prerogative at this time. I was chatting with a friend yesterday who does a lot of the marketing and outreach for Bend and the community is concerned. They certainly want us or at least our $$$ back after ski season took a shit, but they are earnest in asking "please give us time." I'm hoping when (if) we get there as planned in September that all is starting to come back for that great slice of the planet. As of now Outdoor City USA 2020 is still planned -- you and Dan, ok Dan -- should check it out.

Given our concern with going over the Sierra and needing at least minimal public accommodation, we should leave the good folks of Mammoth or Bishop be. We can access private (family) accomms in the Coachella Valley and other than a stop for gas we can sequester there for a few days just to see something different. Maybe we play social distancing golf. Or maybe we just read and pool and chill over Memorial weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree 100% with this. My note above was a response to some states early on saying "we don't want people from certain states with certain plates", even as folks could be overcrowding an area from within the state at issue (Florida) and without the state (other states in the region) though not from "prohibited" states. That, IMO, wasn't particularly rational but your point I totally get and agree.

7. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe you have done the right thing. The biggest concern in Hawaii was the worry of the health care facilities being overwhelmed, just like other parts of the country, but extra caution was exercised in Hawaii because we are in the middle of the ocean far from places that we could ask for help if the facilities were overwhelmed.

Right now we still are in a modified lock down but there are options being looked at everyday as to what can be opened. Lots of baby steps and confusion between the mayors and governor daily but their level of communication is still high.

I hope the day that you and your family can come and visit and enjoy the islands comes sooner than later. I can imagine your disappointment but safety is the utmost consideration right now. When things improve your visit to the islands will be that much more enjoyable and memorable.

Stay safe!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  8. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We don’t have a problem with outsiders coming here to NE Ohio. Nobody in their right mind would. Not a hotspot for second homes for sure.
    On another note, we were supposed to leave for two weeks in Germany and Switzerland yesterday so now I have a boatload of air credit that I hope I can use someday. But, I was on the green side of the turf today so I’m blessed.
    So much for my first year of retirement.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks @Electroguy563 - it sounds like you’re a Hawaii resident. If yes, which island? We frequently go to Kauai & stay in Lihue as we know many great mom & pop restaurants. We were worried that some of those places might not survive the shutdown.

If you live in Hawaii & it’s ok with you, I might PM you when we are ready to get an “on the ground” assessment.

10. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live on Oahu. Feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to give the most accurate info I can. I say this because sometimes information is confusing, and that's coming straight from the mayors and the governor when they hold their separate press conferences.

And depending if this thread is still here, I will share info when it comes available, providing it does not get moderated since so much info out there is sometimes not quite accurate.

Things change every day around here, lol!

• Love Love x 1
  11. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same about Key West. We were to go here in the fall. Though I'm not sure if I even want to go there...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.