1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Haggling... where are you on this activity?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by DaiLun, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually try to bundle a few things at garage sales and it adds some juice to the bargaining. But, when I sell a car in a private sale I tell people the "price is fixed at X dollars" and that seems to eliminate the issue. If I have a car on the block it means I'm done with it and want a quick sale and I price it low. The last Taurus I sold I threw in a couple quarts of oil and a spare belt and that sealed it. The guy just wanted to see something out of me so I went along.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Acceptable in Korea, Morocco and Middle East...dependent upon what we're doing.
    NOT ACCEPTABLE: Kärtner strasse in Vienna. Observed a 'merikanski attempting this in one of the shops. :nono:

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Hard6n8

Hard6n8 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "When shopping for your next car, bring your wife, and we'll dicker!"

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Ex and I used to go to Puerto Escondido,OAX,Mex in the winters late 80's,It was a small fishing village and surfing hotspot those years..
    I learned early on that American things were quite popular there to the locals.I would bring down Sony Walkmans and OP beach attire to trade for things like silver items and blankets and some Oaxacan Gold ;)

Here is a blanket I still have and I love it.I have looked all over online to replace it or get a different colored one,but no luck.

mexblanket.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have several of those same blankets from Mexico that we have had for close to 30 years. I want to say we paid about $10 for them - they were definitely a haggle item

6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I am a very good and very assertive negotiator. Both of my parents were as well.

One thing I learned at a very early age is that when there is a vendor/client relationship, the vendor answers to the client and not the other way around. In my professional life, I've unfortunately had to remind a few vendors of this at times.

In recent years I've gotten quite a bit of mileage out of telling reluctant vendors very directly that if they can't do something, we will be searching for a vendor who will.

Now, in my personal life I'm toying with the idea of getting a new car while it's (still) a buyer's market. I have the exact make, model, color and features in mind. The dealer I've spoken to does not have this in their inventory, but "we can get one" and I'm waiting to see just a little bit of light at the end of the Corona tunnel before I start pursuing things seriously.

7. bull1029

bull1029 Mr. Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoy it. The key to a successful haggle is not to be afraid to walk away. Your attitude has to be, "well I came here without (whatever you're buying), and i certainly can leave with out." And if the price ain't right, it ain't right. Then hit the bricks. But it's that I don't give a crap attitude that will get you your price.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If buying, I set my price to what I think something is worth and don't budge. People can take my money or not. Makes no difference to me.

If selling, I do not budge from the price I determine what I'm selling is worth.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm pretty good at it, but I don't like to rip people off, and I know when to let off.

I collect a lot of things; switchblades, guns, war relics - so I spend a lot of time at militaria and gun shows, where there is ALWAYS tons of haggle...and haggles with trading thrown in..

...but for the most part, if I see something I really want, I just give the asking price. I found that the stuff I've haggled over tends to be stuff that I'm kinda "meh" about...

The one time i did haggle for something I really wanted (13" AGA Campolin Swinguard with a dagger blade) some dildozer walked up and snagged it while I was haggling with the vendor gave him the $500 he was asking and ran away.

Kind of a blessing because I found one the next week for less than $400 online. Perks and detractions to all of it I guess.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Sfgiants13

Sfgiants13 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a fan. Mostly because it was such a PITA experience in Egypt the first time I did it. I have only done it a small handful of times since because I generally don't go buying a lot of random things when I travel.

11. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I personally don't like to haggle. But like a previous poster mentioned I might if the item being haggled is something I could do without. And this is if I feel the seller is asking too much for it. And if the seller doesn't budge after an offer I just walk.

I don't haggle at all if I'm at the farmers market. I feel these farmers work hard for the food that they want to sell. Sometimes I'll buy vegetables from one vendor then buy the same vegetable from another vendor because I feel bad, lol! I end up giving away some vegetables to family and friends because I bought too much. Lots of respect for farmers.

I learned that in some cultures they expect you to haggle. They get offended if you don't.

• Like Like x 2
  12. PressThe5n9

PressThe5n9 Dice, Dice, and more Dice

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was raised with collectibles, and understand that everything has a price where some stuff can be negotiated and others can’t. I get that if I go into a major chain place that I’m expected to pay the posted price. If I go somewhere that’s not, then there’s always that opportunity to test and see if price can be negotiable.

I’ve even used the negotiation tactics with every job I’ve taken since graduating college. It’s surprising how many executives appreciate that skill even if you’re not the best qualified candidate. Had one position that I was hired into with an equity position in the firm (as one of their lowest levels - granted there were only a handful of people in the company).

13. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haggle when it comes to a car. That’s it.

I’m in the construction biz but I don’t ever haggle or negotiate. You get what you pay for.

But I do look around for the absolute best deal on almost everything.

14. gr8whitenorth

gr8whitenorth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Mexico you either haggle or you pay WAAAAYYYYY too much for anything. They have it down to an art form. They love it.

Us, not so much. I'm a 'tell me what you want as long as it is fair; deal" Kind of guy. Perhaps that is a form of haggling?

15. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've talked price for some of the artwork we've purchased, and of course cars.

16. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    eBay is the most I’ll haggle. Other than that, my wife does the haggling because she’s pretty effective.

17. Vegas Todd

Vegas Todd MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in '08 I was in Vegas staying at the Plaza. Anyhow, at one of the souvenir shops Downtown there was a poker chip case that I liked but it had 2 different style of chips in it. I told the clerk that I would buy it if he changed the cheap chips for the Las Vegas chips. He said no and I walked away. The next day I again told him that I would purchase the the case only if he would change the chips and again he said no. This exchange went on for 3 days. On my last day in Vegas I again told him the only way I would buy the case is if he changed the chips and he finally did because of my persistence.

• Like Like x 1
  18. FABismonte

FABismonte Tell my wife I am "about even."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dislike haggling but will do so in foreign countries. The one thing I will haggle in the USA is the price of a used car. I remember when I was negotiating for my younger brother for a used BMW. I had looked up the blue book price and tossed out a price on the middle and as I was doing so did not see any unhappiness on the car dealer's face so I added "out the door" to the end of my sentence without prior planning to do so. The dealership wound up taking that "out the door" price which had no added tax or fees without a counteroffer and not much more than some minor rumblings. I may have left some meat on the bone, but I am satisfied with a fair price.

19. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is exactly me. I also have a friend, an otherwise normal, fun guy, who haggles over everything. Examples:
    He was painting his house and went to the local hardware store and said that he could get the same paint in Oregon cheaper, but wanted to do business locally. They matched the price. Then he said that Oregon doesn't have a sales tax and requested further 8% reduction in price.

He collects guitars and knows their value to the penny. He will put a wad of bills in his left pocket that is WAY lower than the asking price, pull it out and says something, "Well, I have this much to spend," showing them the bills. He says when they see the money, it often works. If not, he walks away. If he wants it, he'll return and pullout the bills from his right pocket and make another offer that is still lower than the seller wants. If not, he does walk away but will call again in a day or two. BTW, he's a retired special education teacher and school administrator and a musician. When buying a car, many of my friends take him along and are amazed at his results. I love the guy. He's friendly and honest, but damned if I'll go shopping with him.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. RedRiverRose

RedRiverRose VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haggle when it comes to cars and offers on Ebay. Otherwise I pay what they ask or move on if I think its unreasonable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.