1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Virgin Atlantic Retire Boeing 747's With immediate Effect.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by The Stig, May 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The plan was for them to finish in 2021 but with the current situation they have decided now is the time to retire them. I did enjoy flying on them when they were on the Manchester to Las Vegas route. Last year though Virgin Atlantic swapped them on to the Atlanta and JFK routes and used the Airbus 330's on the Vegas route.

https://simpleflying.com/virgin-atlantic-boeing-747-retirement/

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw a report that American was taking 4 different aircraft types out of their fleet permanently. 767 and 757 and a few smaller ones.

3. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not surprised by these moves to retire aircraft ahead of schedule. It will take a while to recover to the point we were at before the storm. Taking older, less efficient planes out of service make sense.

4. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess Sir Richard was spot on when he said “If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline”.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Gazm

Gazm Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One problem with Virgin retiring the old planes is the seat configuration of the new ones. They massively increased the number of upper class seats but reduced the premium economy seats by about 50%.
    That means people who can’t shell out 000’s on upper class but want more comfort than economy find it increasingly difficult to get a flight.

6. Bowser

Bowser Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is a shame, it doesn't even seem that long ago that they were doing the refurbs. The layout in the upper class section was a little odd as you had to turn right around to see out of the window, but they were quite an intimate experience in the nose of the plane.

7. Maine Farmer

Maine Farmer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew the 747 jumpseat Boston, Chicago onto Anchorage, Alaska full of freight for FDX. Huge cockpit with large windows. Crew quarters had a bunch of bunk beds. A real work horse.

• Like Like x 1
  8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The 747 is a special plane. A few years ago - knowing they were going away for almost all carriers - we got the two very front seats in the nose of that plane... which sit quite a bit forward of the Captain. The plane curves quite a bit there and you even get a bit of a forward looking view. Flying upstairs on various carriers was also special. Great bird. She is just about gone for commercial travel, but will be doing cargo for awhile. Eats up fuel, but is a workhorse - and used ones are relatively cheap.

The next Air Force One(s) will still be 747's - they are that good.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. makuk

makuk Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always pay less or about £200 more for my Upper Class seats than a premium economy seat on the same aircraft, people need to shop around and book at the right time, in fact for my December flight I only paid £650 return in business (lie flat) UK to USA, however, I haven't been totally honest my flight going out to the USA does start in Budapest and stops in Paris on the way, but coming back it's direct to London :haha::haha::haha: but when I am paying less for a business class seat than an economy seat on the same aircraft, I'll start the flight anywhere!

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thank god, they got rid of terrible planes. The international and Hawaii runs on the 757s and 767s were ghastly. They had to hand out tablets in business class on the 757 instead of having in flight entertainment. The 787 is such a better plane in every way.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    of course, it could mean good prices on business class seats soon given the controls that exist on corporate travel and spending.

12. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Virgin Atlantic have released their schedule for summer 2021, as already been announced they have dropped Gatwick and all London flights will be from Heathrow. Outside of London, Manchester will have flights to Atlanta, New York, Orlando, Barbados and LA. Glasgow and Belfast will have seasonal flights to Orlando. I'm hoping that Delta will take over the direct slots from Manchester to Vegas. I put in a flight booking for Manchester to Vegas for a date in April 2021 on the Virgin Atlantic and Delta websites, Virgin Atlantic only gave flights with changes, Delta's website showed a direct flight but operated by Virgin Atlantic.

https://simpleflying.com/virgin-atlantic-2021-timetable/

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to know, but I had to fight like hell to get my second leg cancelled when they cancelled our visa through ESTA and the MAN-JFK was cancelled. JFK - LAS wasn't cancelled until about 15 minutes before it was due to fly. inexcusable.

After our last disagreement with virgin a few years ago, I will be very wary of ever booking with them again

We booked MAN-: LAS return for our usual six-week trip. We flew out as expected, no problems at all.
    Our flight home was SIX weeks later, and we didn't hear a word about their changes. The week before we were due to fly home, I logged on to see when we needed to check-in. it showed we were flying back to Gatwick and no onward trip to get us closer to home. Gatwick is 3 hours away, Manchester is another two hours away.

I ended up with a concession from them to pay for the bus from LGW to LHR and a flight north to MAN. Sadly, it was a nightmare. We missed the last train home, and they had to pay for a taxi, but it took several months to get our money back. The flight from LHR to MAN was cancelled/ disrupted for 8 hours! we did get our money back for the delay, but it probably took us 24 hours to get home instead of 14..

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  14. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a nightmare of a homeward journey and they are quick to take the money but try getting it back. If I book with them for a trip next year then I will have to look at the best routes. Looking at what they are flying out of Manchester I would probably go for via LA, as I mentioned though I'm hope that Delta would be interested in taking the Las Vegas slots. After the demise of Thomas Cook it would be surprising not to have direct flights from Manchester to Vegas at any time of the year.

15. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Virgin Atlantic e mailed to say that they have changed my flight out to Vegas in October. They have now stopped flying direct from Manchester to Vegas, they have put me on a direct flight from Heathrow. They haven't advised me though that they are providing a connecting flight Man to Heathrow. I'm at worrk at moment but when I get home I will see what my options are.

16. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They did that to us on a returning flight a couple of years ago. Thing is, they didn’t even let us know, I usually check our booking regularly, and one day it was no longer MAN - LAS and LAS - MAN, but MAN - LAS and LAS - LGW. They said because it was changed more than two weeks before the first flight they didn’t need to do anything. Lots of people on Las Vegas fans UK on Facebook are having the same done to them. Hope you find an alternative.

17. Whilestockslast

Whilestockslast Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I have had two trips cancelled by virgin now March and late May - I have only been able to ask for a refund via email as virgin employees are hard to speak to and so far I have received nothing but tumbleweed

18. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I contacted them by text for my Apr 8 flight. They finally got back to me 48 hours before we were due to fly and promised a refund. The flight had been cancelled for two weeks at that point.

That refund is due in 90 days because today is the day we should have landed in Manchester.
    Hope I get my refund eventually.

19. Whilestockslast

Whilestockslast Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck - I hope I get some resolution from them as they have had a lot of money of me over the years

• Like Like x 1
  20. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I contacted Virgin Atlantic regarding my changed flight and the fact they have put me on a flight from Heathrow when my original booking was from Manchester. After e mail then texting I finally get an answer. I suggest that on the date I'm flying out that they have a flight from Manchester to LA with a connection to Vegas. They messaged me back to tell me that they are very busy and only dealing with customers who are booked to travel in the next 14 days. They then advise me that I should contact them within 14 days of my travel date, if I did that there is a good chance that I wouldn't be able to move flights.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.