1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

selling a classic car

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Crawfordesquire, May 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crawfordesquire

Crawfordesquire High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    anyone have any experience/insight into selling a classic car? the vehicle was inherited a few years ago.
    in a perfect world I would hire someone to sell as my agent and pay them a cut, but im not sure if this actually exists. I am not looking to milk out every last nickel, just extract fair value.
    for those wondering it's a 1950 ford f1.

2. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    there is a TV show where the guy sells classic cars for that are his/ and for others at car auctions. it's called "chasing classic cars". I think the guy is based back East. You can also put cars on consignment at car dealers that specialize in selling classic cars. There are quite a few of those out here in Los Angeles area

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mep57

mep57 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if it is mint condition, the jackson barlett car auction

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would get online and find local/regional car clubs -- brand-specific or otherwise -- and ask them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Aw234

Aw234 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can advertise your vehicle in Hemmings Motor News. The sale process is still up to you but it we'll be seen country wide.

https://www.hemmings.com/

6. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. Jimmy M.

Jimmy M. Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I have some professional experience.
    First, don't sell it now. In an economic downturn, the first things to go are the unneeded toys. Guys have to sell the [Harley, Bass boat, Snow machine, '68 Mustang, etc.] to pay the bills, so it's a buyer's market. Prices go way down.
    There are competent, honest brokers who sell classic and special-interest cars. Ask around in an internet hobbyist forum for your kind of car, or look at Hemmings https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ to find one. Don't try to sell it yourself, you need to appeal to a very broad market.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Creative Automotive Consultants is a SF based vintage car appraisal company with appraisers across North America. They can likely facilitate or recommend sales as well.

9. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can sell it yourself of course. Keep in mind if you hire someone to do it you will have to pay them but they will also be able to get more money for it. It will get vastly more exposure than a craigslist ad or whatever.

10. 393fitter

393fitter Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Take a look at Bring A Trailer if it is in good condition. If it is a fixer, places like eBay, Craigslist or Facebook marketplace are better for that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Eric1285

Eric1285 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This was going to be my suggestion. I think it's pretty popular for more niche type vehicles.

12. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think my cable system dropped that channel, I could watch that show all night, along with Wheeler Dealers (but when Ed was on the show).

Chasing Classic Cars is hosted by Wayne Carini and he's in CT https://www.f40.com/

Great advice.

Maybe its time for me to buy a boat.

13. PressThe5n9

PressThe5n9 Dice, Dice, and more Dice

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Crawfordesquire - I saw you’re in NC, and would consider Ken’s advice on local/regional assistance. I found RK Motors and Raleigh Classic Car Auctions both in NC. If the vehicle has been restored nicely, you might consider contacting them about consignment in one of the upcoming auctions.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Crawfordesquire

Crawfordesquire High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for the quick and comprehensive advice everyone. just need to figure out the timing relative to the market but i certainly have some more info now, thanks again.

15. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you aren’t in a hurry I’d suggest waiting a bit also.

We came close to meeting my bottom dollar on 63 Avanti (which was actually way below market value). Have two people that agreed to price but want to see it in person first. So we know any sale won’t happen until travel is opened up again.

I actually listed it on eBay. Sold both a Camaro & a Packard on there before with no issues. But yeah market is soft now. I just want to get it out in people’s minds s we don’t want to move it once our new place is done next year.

No matter where you sell, watch out for the scammers. I had one this time saying ‘Oh I can send you a money order tomorrow’ when the auction started bank wire only. I repeated No, and then of course never heard from them again lol.

• Like Like x 1
  16. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great advice, don’t accept credit cards either.

I have heard about car shows in Carlisle, PA, an ex boss bought and restored an old Truck many years ago in Carlisle. Here is a list of events, https://carlisleevents.com/events/schedule

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.