1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What Becomes Of A Broken Hearted?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by joespoolhall, Apr 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Couldn't think of a better thread title, but since it centers around this song, we'll go with it. It was recorded by Jimmy Ruffin, who was slated to the Temptation lead singer until......his younger brother got the job after auditioning. Rough Thanksgiving that year! Actually, Jimmy was already a solo for Motown on one of their labels. Anyway, this was a hit for him and I always liked the song as it is well written lyrically. Fast forward to now and I'm hearing the song at work, so one day I pull it up on youtube. Unfortunately there was only the song done on some variety show. Still good, not a live performance. I notice to the side a Joan Osborne (If God was one of us) cover. This was part of a doc on the Funk Brothers, who were the house session players through the early 70s. They were said to have played on more number ones than the Beatles, Rolling Stones and Beach Boys combined. I'd never seen and always regretted missing it. Anyway, I clicked on her cover with the Fink Bros and I was blown away!!! I never followed her and obviously didn't know how strong her voice is. She did Heard It Through The Grapevine and Heatwave also very well, but What Becomes sent chills up my spine.
    Do yourself a favor and this this out on youtube.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of my last big events before the lockdown was the Blues Festival in Des Moines in late February, and one of the artists there did a very good rendition of Joan's cover. (Cover of a cover.) :)

(I wanna be Joan Osborn, Mr. Jones wants to be someone just a little more funky.) :) :)

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The doc was Standing in the Shadows of Motown. It's streaming but I can't remember if it's Hulu or Netflix.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pjbear05

pjbear05 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As one born in and raised in Detroit, I can relate. Marvin and Smokey were good, Holland/Dozier/Holland were great, and James Jamerson was God.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aw234

Aw234 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had the same reaction to Joan Osborne's cover and thought the documentary on The Funk Brothers just excellent. I lived in Detroit and still enjoy some Barbara Lewis or Brenda Holloway.

• Like Like x 1
  6. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two things struck me about the video. During the song intro by the Fink Bros, I almost expected Jimmy Ruffin to sing the song since it sounded EXACTLY like his recording. Wonder why! The other thing was Osborne's voice. It was so strong and soulful. I was just amazed. Quite the gem.

• Like Like x 1
  7. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The video.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Coppertop Tester

Coppertop Tester Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone familiar with this classic song probably knows it starts off with a slightly longer instrumental intro before any vocals begin ("longer" being relative for typical AM radio song lengths at the time). About two years ago on SiriusXM, I found out why. One of the channels sometimes opts to play the original, unreleased version which had a spoken passage before the singing started. I guess they decided it was too cheesy and removed it for what became the hit version.

Check it out!

9. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure that adds much to the song, at least not for me. I've just never gotten excited about spoken intros. Not sure I mentioned in the opening thread, but this is a well written song, musically and lyrically. In closing, I'll just reiterate, damn, Joan Osborne has one good voice!

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2020
  10. Coppertop Tester

Coppertop Tester Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. It's much better without the spoken intro, but it was just so weird to hear a different version after hearing the original for over four decades. Ditto on Joan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.