1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

So, what happened to a cut of beef called flank steak?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by DaiLun, Apr 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always thought skirt and flank steak were the same. I don't see it often in the stores where we live.

Maybe because the restaurants snatch them up before it gets to the stores? Lots of stores nowadays don't butcher full carcasses and instead order cases of pre-cut chunks of the animal.

I remember one of my friends used to get mad at me when I called him a butcher. He used to correct me and say, "I'm a MEATCUTTER, not a butcher".

2. vegascurley

vegascurley Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was a meat surgeon(butcher) for over 40 years before I retired last year in ohio. The flank steak is not a very popular cut of meat in most parts of the Midwest. It is overpriced and not the most tenderest piece of meat. in my opinion the Flat iron is a great substitute for a flank. It is a few dollars a pound cheaper and can be used for almost anything the flank is. Also it is one the hidden gems for grilling. It is the most tenderest cut of meat behind the Filet Mignon and Ribeye. It comes from the shoulder so it has a great taste(better than the filet).

• Informative Informative x 6
  3. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here in Texas I can find it labeled both ways at my grocer. Skirt steak or it's called Beef fajita skirt steak. Flank steak always looks a bit leaner. Basically they are the same.

4. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have it here all the time and use it for fajitas, Philly cheese steaks, steak tacos, etc

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's around, I know. Most every supermarket will have it. Of course I don't buy very much fresh meat anymore (except for ground beef and such).

6. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get my beef from a local farmer. I usually order their packages which is about 45lbs of different cuts and ground beef. There is almost always a few flank and/or flat iron steaks in the package. Prior to ordering these packages I didn't realize how many different cuts of beef there are.

7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You shoulda watched the old Late Night with David Letterman! :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. PressThe5n9

PressThe5n9 Dice, Dice, and more Dice

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lately it seems that flank steak has been hard to come by in our area. I was able to pick up some this past week for the first time in about a month. Used it tonight to make Beef & Broccoli Lo Mein.

I’ve substituted skirt steak for it before in the same dish and about the only difference I’ve noticed is the variance in cooking time to get the same tenderness.

9. LoveVeGa

LoveVeGa Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They sell flank steak at Costco in Hawaii..

Most beef use in the pf Chang in Hawaii using flank steak..

South of the border restaurants and frontera in Mexico using flank steak for fajitas..

10. greekjim

greekjim King Gyro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I picked up some skirt steak today at Costco after seeing it mentioned here and it was very good

11. NittyOne

NittyOne VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Curley, is the guy, solid meat advice.

Somewhat related, I want to make authentic Orleans style dirty rice. This requires chicken gizzards and livers. Would you trust your standard grocery store product for this?

12. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's not really the case any longer. Flank steak is sold at a much higher price. London broil is usually top or bottom round.

13. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just saw flank steak and London Broil at the store last week. That was the first I had seen London Broil in a long time. Went back to get some yesterday and it was not there, Damn!. I love London Broil.

14. vegascurley

vegascurley Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nittyone......Most grocery stores sell gizzards..hearts..livers in their frozen food meat section. They are perfectly safe because all are flash frozen immediately after processing. I would not buy any that are in the fresh case..they have either been thawed out at the store level or came in fresh(which makes them not as *fresh* as product that you buy frozen and thaw yourself. Hope this helps.

15. vegascurley

vegascurley Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if you do not see London Broil in your store..ask the meat cutter. Londons come from the round which every store has available all the time. Also look at the weekly ads..if you see Round steak or top round roast or rump roast there is a really good chance they will have London broil on sale also.

16. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For some reason and I can't remember, my local butcher said there is some seasonality to flank/skirt steaks. It doesn't seam logical as we are not talking plants but, he did give some kind of reason.

Now, one of my summer staples is Flank Steak with chimichurri. Yummy with a light red on the patio. You really need to be careful not to go more than medium rare with a flank/skirt. It toughens up quickly!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  17. NittyOne

NittyOne VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks

18. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never seen a beef brisket in the super market, except corned beef brisket.

Is it called something else and I don't know it? I've seen slabs of beef in the bottom bins with a fat cap on them, but they aren't labeled "brisket", it's something else that I don't remember.

19. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our flank steak is usually labeled "London Broil" here afaik. I haven't seen "flank" used in quite some time. Lucky, Safeway etc. I know in the very near past (pre covid) carried it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. blkshirt

blkshirt High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Know your current events, know your cuts of meat and the Top Ten list from the home office of Sioux City, IA or Wahoo, NE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.