1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Share Your Current Situation

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Apr 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's our situation. In Northwest Indiana.

My part time job at the local high school came to an end for the year on March 13 when locals schools closed all buildings and went on ELearning. Subsequently school has been put on ELearning for rest of school year. We don't need the income from that job so all is well that way. I also don't need to get up at 5am, so I've been sleeping in a little.

Husband is a Director of Tooling for a company in Chicago that does food packaging so he continues to work and has to go in. Can't work from home like some of the others he works with. He's been working a lot of hours. Production has switched to making To Go containers so it's been a scramble. The only positive thing is that his commute time is way down because there is very little traffic on the road.

My husbands parents are almost 90 and live 100 miles from us. They have daily caregivers that help them on a day to day basis. We have been helping out sending food deliveries and such. Really don't feel comfortable going there in person for fear of bringing illness in to them, so we talk to them frequently. We would normally do Easter together, but will postpone that. I will send them some take out from a local restaurant for them and am sending some sugar free candy, so the day is a little special. Hopefully things will change and we can go up for FILs 90th birthday in May.

On the home front. I've been able to get a lot of the yard cleaned up and am working on mulching everything. In the house everything is getting a good cleaning and reorganizing. Our dog is getting lots of playtime and walks. Watching a lot of movies and listening to lots of music. All in all we are doing as well as we can given the situation.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 2
  2. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, but your timing otherwise was fantastic from a financial and moving standpoint. My guess is you would be getting less if you tried to sell you car washes today. Congrats on retirement!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally agree, and thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm still heading to work on a daily basis as my business is essential. We're taking all the precautions we can and have basically been on lockdown. No visitors, no travel, and screening staff everyday prior to clocking in. Being in the mountains has had some advantages during this whole thing. There are only two cases in our county and less than 20 in our part of Virginia. I'm pretty optimistic that things won't get too bad around here considering most people around here social distanced before the quarantine. The only thing people really left the house for was going out to eat or going to church. Both of those have been shutdown, so people are doing a pretty good job staying home. If things do get bad, we are in trouble due to our limited medical resources. I think our hospital only has 8 ICU beds for the whole county. Anyway, hopefully being rural will help us out.

As far as my day to day goes it's fine through the week. Nothing has changed on that side. My days off are getting tough though. I work Sunday-Thursday and my brother is now working from home. Fridays are spent trying to be quiet so he can work. My schedule on my days off is pretty much wake up, work out, eat lunch, take a nap, walk the dog, cook dinner, watch TV, and go to bed at 10 pm. I've took the opportunity to get a little healthier and given myself a "COVID -19lbs." challenge. I'm down 8 lbs. over 3 weeks. After getting trapped in my house the first weekend with a killer hangover, I decided to take a break from drinking for the immediate future. It's just not too appealing knowing I can't ride out a hangover commiserating with my fellow drunks in a sportsbar the next day. Haha only 3 weeks in and it's already the longest I've went without a beer in 15 years. I really can't complain though since I've got it so easy compared to so many other people.

On a note of optimism, I am excited for when all this social distancing can finally end. The back end of this year is going to be LOADED if we can quit this stuff over the summer. Theoretically, July-December could be pretty epic if all of the things that have been postponed get to go on as rescheduled. The Kentucky Derby coincides with my old college's first home football game. Derby day combined with tailgating for the first college football game of the year? Plus if the Preakness and Belmont schedules the races with the same amount of time off they normally do they will also fall on home game days. That's totally a wet dream for me lol. Still plenty to look forward to this year folks.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Maine Farmer

Maine Farmer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can see with the mason jars that the milk does expand . There was plenty of space at the top before frozen. This is 100% percent unpasteurized so all that fat and water will need room to expand.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my current situation is bored out of my mind.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. Big dan

Big dan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My current situation is still going to work every day but I would be on a plane right now heading to Hawaii for the first time. Damn you corona virus!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bay Area - Silicon Valley

I am working from home. I am fortunate that my company has a robust infrastructure for remote workers.

My 18 year old son is finishing his senior year by distance learning.

Tomorrow I was supposed to be headed for Osaka, JP for a 2 week Asia vacation (now rescheduled for August).

Things aren't much different for either of us. I am using the time to expand my cooking repertoire, both Asian and non-Asian. My first attempt at Cuban style black beans was a dismal failure due to the fact that I didn't let them cook uncovered. Not much of a loss, though. I'll get back to that next week. Later this week might be hand pulled noodles. Tonight might be korean style chicken wings.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  9. Niteshade

Niteshade VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still going into work every day. Using my suppliers to get hand sanitizers by the thousands for
    places here still operating, nursing homes, hospices here etc. Masks and shields also. Now we are manufacturing sneeze guards for banks here and
    getting ready to start installing them. Some of the banks here went to drive through only, but since the new loans and everything - they are finding
    they need some face to face time - so we will have them behind acrylic shields soon. Then they will re-open their lobbies on a limited and strict basis.
    We make acrylic signs so this was an easy transition for now and they needed them right now.

Have locked our building down completely. All pickups and deliveries are done in the lobby only and have a sanitizing crew taking care of that.

When I am not at work - I am sequestered on my farm. Drive from the farm to the back door of the building - go into my office and lock the whole back of the
    building off - then drive home. I could have worked from home some - but as soon as some of the nursing homes and hospice folks started contacting me - I knew
    I needed to be at the office to have the best chance of getting them what they needed. I was very lucky that I established some good contacts with the people
    that make this stuff way before this all happened. They helped me get all the orders filled.

Today - I got a picture of boxes and boxes of hand sanitizers with labels on them - ready to head out. A large order of masks went out yesterday.
    Got the acrylic sheets in today - and are waiting on the hardware to arrive then will have our installers start on the banks we work with.

Trying to keep being positive, but really hard being so closed off to human contact. Can't take the chance of being around my Mom - she is 89 and healthy, but
    since I do go out, even though I am taking every precaution, I just won't risk taking something to her. I have to settle with talking to her on the phone.
    Not seeing any of my clients is also hard. I am used to having people run in and out of my office all the time - but I have it all locked down now.

I miss being able to go places with friends too, but I know it is for the best I do not see them right now. So - just concentrating on helping my clients from
    the closed office by phone and email. Have to do until things let up.

This place helps a bunch. Love reading what everyone is up to - it helps. Love all the stories and seeing trip reports from Vegas. Miss it very much, but
    feel lucky I still have a job, a home and friends. So many of them lost so much - it breaks my heart. Stay safe and well everyone - we are all in this together and
    hopefully soon we can head back to Vegas and this will all be a horrible dream.

• Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 4
  10. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Work in an airport and have been stood down till 1st of June, on 90% pay so not to bad. Also not spending as everywhere is closed and not putting fuel in the car as not using it. So that 10% short is covered and a little more I think.

• Like Like x 6
  11. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So glad my wife took two weeks off from the pharmacy in Wallyworld.... Other also went out as they are still no providing PPE's to the employees. And to top it off they have a young whippersnapper there working even though he has had contact with another person that has tested positive......:cuss::cuss::cuss:

I'm still working about 50/50 between the office(i work alone) and home. sofari so good.

• Like Like x 4
  12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would think the public health officer for your jurisdiction could have that taken care of.

13. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    someone would have to notify them and since this is a small town, WM would find out who reported it they would be terminated. Don't believe the fake happy employees singing Lean on Me commercials.
    That's all i have to say before i get terminated here. zipped my lips.

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The "values" of the company were proven up years ago. Sorry, man. Only take a few loose bricks to bring down a wall.

15. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are still fine. Got a call from our city inquiring how we----as senior citizens ---were doing and if we needed help in any way. They did mention that free food delivery was available. We were pretty surprised but thanked the very pleasant young woman and told her we were fine. She gave me a telephone number in case things changed. We recently got a female mayor and I wonder if that had something to do with the empathy. ( sorry, not being sexist)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Giveaways by charitables around here are starting to cause concerns. Cars are queuing up in such numbers as to constitute a traffic hazard. And of course while each car is a discrete unit, with every bag handed out a volunteer is putting his/her hands and face in close proximity to what could be hundreds of people. It's a nice gesture, but like those still insisting on trying to hold mass assemblages on Sunday, it's a real danger.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  17. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Supposed to be busy right now. Still trying to get my taxes done. Also trying to get my mom's taxes done. And I'm still trying to get title changed to my mom's properties, hopefully we're in the last stages of getting the title changed legally.

And some of my cd's are maturing so I have to quickly change them since many banks and cu's are lowering their cd rates. I can still get 1 year cd at 1.5% so I have to do it quickly before it goes down. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the money that came from the sale of my mom's house on Maui. Luckily I didn't throw it into mutual funds or the stock market yet. I was planning on throwing it into that but I held off. Glad that I held off.

I also have to clean out my house, While not as bad as the tv shows I still consider myself a hoarder so I have to rent out a storage place and move everything out of my condo so I can go through everything. I also want to change the carpet so I need to get everything out.

• Like Like x 1
  18. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Decided to clean the kitchen while drinking beer.

Took all the stuff of the counters and scrubbed half of it down,. Now getting drunk and dont want to do anymore but stuff is all over the place. lol

I am a bachelor so this aint your grandmas kitchen and needs some deep cleaning.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Love Love x 2
  19. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When de-cluttering, try to touch something once. Moving junk to a storage locker for later resolution is putting off the inevitable. When in doubt, throw it out.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.