1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SiriusXM

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by flyguyfl, Apr 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife bought a new car in October 2019. After the free trial of SiriusXM ran out she decided she didn't want it. She listens to local FM stations and I loaded a music stick up for her USB port.
    Since then she gets an average of 2 emails a week from Sirius offering the $5 a month fee for a year (followed by normal price)
    Those people are persistent if nothing else.

Has anyone ever taken the $5 offer and then cancelled after a year?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had sirius before the merger, had nothing but problems with signal loss and while they promised no commercials, they found loopholes to have someone talk in between songs for long periods instead of non stop music...they contacted me 3 months before my subscription ended and I told them how much it sucked and that I would not resubscribe. they kept offering discounts which I said no, I dont want it...when my subscription ended, they kept playing it for 3 months then tried to charge me for it...to this day they never got a penny more out of me

I use Pandora (cracked) and Spotify (cracked) for all my music at work and in my car

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We got Sirius in '06 when we got Terri's Solara. After the trial period we bought the lifetime membership (actually, "lifetime" as in five transfers). That went over to her Passat in '10. When we bought the Ridgeline in '07 we did the same thing (with XM) when the trial ended.

Like every other consumer decision, YMWV.

4. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I never subscribed to Sirius
    But it was in my new car I bought in.....2012 ?
    They gave me several notices over the years that
    "currently " your Sirius will be free for 2 weeks.
    So I listened -
    but it never meant enough to subscribe.
    However......you mention persistent ?
    I think EVERY SINGLE DAY - I get an email from them with an offer.
    I should block them but never got around to it.

5. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had the trial for however many months when we got the car new. After about 5 months if not having it, they sent us the $5/mo offer, we took it for a year.

It was going to run out in December. Dan called and asked if he could get another year at the $5 rate and they said yes, so... :thumbsup:

But we were prepared to cancel until we got the $5 offer again.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ngrund

ngrund High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To each their own, wife and I will pay because of the proprietary channels-Grateful Dead, Phish, Jam On, BB King's, Radio Margaritaville, etc

• Like Like x 3
  7. OddsWrkin

OddsWrkin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We received 12 months of Sirius service when we bought a new Highlander in 2018. After listening to it for a grand total less than two hours over the course of the "free" year we decided not to renew. We have been receiving persistent email, snail mail, and phone offers ever since. Maybe they could offer the service at a significantly reduced rate if they slashed their advertising costs.

8. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had Sirius in the truck but never listened much so I canceled a few months ago. Told them I sold the vehicle (didn’t really) and they never bothered me again. I couldn’t cancel online and had to talk to an agent.

9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've been XM subscribers since they started ( and now merged). Works for us - we're grandfathered on a family plan we like.

Their streaming (app, online) is free for all now, if anyone is interested - they've been promoting it by the DJs.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Vegas28m

Vegas28m Medium Roller, Chicago

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a free trial for 3 months with a new car. They never billed me but had it for 4 years until the radio broke. After getting it fixed, no more Sirius

11. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Howard Stern makes it worth it.

12. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got XM back in 2004 or so (pre-merger), back around when they offered the PCR computer receiver. I wound up switching over to an online-only subscription, which works just as well for me. My go-tos are the main Hits channel, BPM, Chill, and the Beatles channel. XMU used to be pretty good for discovering new indie music, but I found them to get a bit repetitive in later years.

13. steveks225

steveks225 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have it in both my cars. I get the email notice to renew at some outrageous annual subscription fee, then call the toll free number and negotiate a yearly rate of around $100 for each car that does not allow them to automatically renew at the next year's subscription rate, nor allow them to keep my credit card number on file. That might cost me a few dollars, but at least I have peace of mind knowing that I'm not going to experience a humongous price increase, and if they try, I can just cancel. There is also a disadvantage that if SiriusXM adds channels and/or programming, an older radio with SiriusXM can't receive the new channels. Somehow whenever channel numbers change, as long as your radio can receive the channels, you're OK, but if they add programming that your radio can't receive, then you're SOL.

14. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    YES

People do it all the time. And you can decide THEN if you want to keep it. Put a notice on your calendar for the week before it expires.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We waited them out until the $5 offer came. It was only off for a few days. But our renewal is only for six months, so next time I plan to try what Sonya suggested.

16. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've had it for three years on two cars. That $5 is actually $7 and change after taxes/fees, about $85 a year or so for each car. They've always renewed at that rate when I tell them to cancel at the end of each year. Ours is about to expire again and I won't be renewing. The playlists on the channels I listen to are too short, plus living in the northwest the signal loss is frequent with trees and hills. I like it on long trips, but I don't see road trips in the near future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I couldn't live without it. My favorite channel is VSIN, of course.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were surprised it was so easy. Dan was ready for a fight and to have to cancel for a time. He had a paper with notes he wrote down to argue with them. I think he was kind of disappointed when he first asked to continue at the lower rate for another year that they just said "Okay." :)

I hope they are always that easy and we just didn't get an employee on their last shift at SiriusXM. :haha:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you want the Nascar channel 90, it cost more. My hubs has to have that, not me.

Sema Show
  20. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you want to cancel you have to listen to someone trying to sell you again! WHAT A PITA!
    I had XM when I bought my 2010 Nissan Rogue in March 2010. It was handy on the road trips to LV.
    To save on costs, I stayed with the Mostly Music, but really only listened to one 60's channel.
    And just HATED when "Cruzin With Cousin Brucey" came on, as he talked and talked and talked!t sure I will keep it

Since I really don't go on road trips again, I canceled it last month.

I now have a newer Acura RDX, that came with XM until end of June.
    I prepaid a very low 6 mo plan after that.
    Not sure I will keep it after that.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.