1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best quarantine Amazon impulse buy so far???

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Wallew, Apr 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice! I'm sure you're going to like it way better than the Rogue! :) I have an RDX too, but the 2019 version. I traded in my old 2004 Lexus RX330 for the 2019 Acura RDX when it came out that year. I had my old Lexus for close to 15 yrs, so it was time to get a new one. LOL

2. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not really an impulse buy, as I've been considering them, but reusable paper towels. I actually like these much more than toss and go paper towels.... They're stronger, way less waste, but still seem more sanitary than a sponge.

• Like Like x 3
  3. JJLV

JJLV High-Roller

Frozen Tundra. Desert dream died with him.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two really cheap wigs! I never owned one in my life. When I finally come out in public I will not be gray and unkempt!! They are actually much nicer then I thought they would be. Thinking might be great for quick trips to the store and so on when I don't want to do all that prep. I really like this one and...
    [​IMG]
    Hubby likes this one...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 1
  4. wesraft

wesraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They almost NEVER deliver to my house, instead, leaving packages at the post office for me to pick up there. Previously this was a PITA inconvenience, but now it has become a safety issue with too many people in too small a space. They have posted signs about social distancing, but it doesn't seem to help. People here think that ordering from Amazon and elsewhere will reduce their exposure and danger, but it looks like it is creating more problems than it is solving. My current solution is to not make any purchases, urgent or impulse buys until this gets resolved. If they would just deliver to my address, there would be no problem.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And even for packages delivered to your home/apartment, you still need to be mindful. I live in a walk up apartment building on the fourth floor so when I do get packages dropped off on the first floor near the mailboxes I go downstairs with scissors, a baggie with about 10 wipes in it, Lysol and a large plastic bag. Regardless of the size of the package, I cut it open downstairs, keeping the handling to a minimum and take my purchased items from inside the box (which is minimal risk) and put it inside the large plastic bag. I then throw out in the recycling bins outside the cardboard or plastic. I lift the bins with a Clorox wipe and I handle the downstairs doors with a Clorox wipe. The agents are strong but I sometimes even wipe my hands with Clorox wipes and then they are dry by the time I get to my apartment. When I get to my apartment I toss the used wipes and then wash my hands and of course lotion up with all of the hand washing.

The fed ex folks, god bless them, delivered two small boxes of wine to my door. I had them sign for me (UPS stopped requiring "signing" weeks ago in NYC), have them leave the box right outside my door, and kind of keeping as much of a distance as I can, hand the fed ex person a nice tip. I keep the box right outside my apartment door and spray the entire box with Lysol. I then let it dry, open the box, take the wine out, bring it inside and leave the box in the hallway. Then I come inside and wash my hands. I may take the box downstairs and outside then for recycling or go in an hour or two to get some exercise (down and up 3 flights of stairs).

So yes, I have started ordering less now, not only to save money but I know I need to go through this routine each time something is delivered.

I was doing this weeks ago and some family members and friends thought I was nuts. Well, now, health experts are recommending a similar process. The best thing is they have said is to just leave the box outside or in a garage for a day before opening but that's not an option for apartment dwellers like me.

• Like Like x 5
  6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My bike goes in on Tuesday to cannibalize the crank and to get the static measurements for the new one; finite fitting(s) to come after the bug crisis. I get it on Thursday. In the interim, here's a pic:

95419-53_DIV_COMP_STRMGRY-ESTSRS-BLK_HERO_1800x1800.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  7. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a pretty pricey car, SMG!
    I have the original sticker price of mine, and it was $36K in 2013.
    In 2010, I bought the best Rogue for $26k.

• Like Like x 1
  9. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought a futon while my boyfriend laughed at me (not really) because I’ve lived in my apartment for 2mos without a couch. :kill:

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been out of the bike loop for a while. Are disc brakes becoming the standard on road bikes now?

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still pushback in some circles but, yes, even in tri and aero. Probably the bigger "road" change in the last few years is "gravel" bikes like this one. Drop-bar bikes with gran-fondo geometries and wide-tire capability for use on pretty much anything but technical single-track and DH. Think fire roads and tarmac.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like trader Joe's for wine, as they seem to have a much leaner mark up on decent wines. (Decent by my standards! ;) @thecarve or @ken2v might fall on the ground clutching their stomachs if I served them what I'm OK with!)

Well, while I will go to the store, minimally, trader Joe's is just too much of a zoo, with small isles.

So, I tried the WSJ wine club. $69 +$20 shipping for 14 bottles that looked viable. I looked through all of the below options, but I like more old world, drier reds, and this WSJ's intro selection appealed to me most...I can cancel anytime, and did make sure to use a cc I rarely use, in case I have problems, but I'm embarrassingly excited! Next up for me... The Flowbee! (As many have been referencing on VMB as of late)

https://buyersguide.org/wine-club-reviews/t/best?kw=13998495875801487753&m=b&d=m&c=429044545652&p=&oid=kwd-794793899235&lp=9032828&li=&nw=g&nts=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_PPi3unS6AIVl9hkCh14qgD-EAAYAiAAEgLmUPD_BwE&tdid=7978360&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_PPi3unS6AIVl9hkCh14qgD-EAAYAiAAEgLmUPD_BwE

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 2
  13. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh my! Let’s not put me in the same sentence as @ken2v when we’re talking vino, @Multifarious5 . One of us knows the stuff. The other is just a drunk who relies on sommeliers or others in the know to recommend something that he’ll enjoy that won’t break the bank!

Also, at least for the next few months, I’m still an unemployed college student. You would shudder at the hobo hooch I’ve been drinking lately! :eek:o_O

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You always crack me up Carve! Let's just say I know BOTH of you can out-snoot me on wines...even if in a hobo hooch buying pattern!

PS good for you for being frugal! That's a mindset I admire, knowing when to tighten the belt and trim down on luxuries. It is a bootstrap mindset that I know your pops would approve of. It will just make everything taste/feel that much better later on. Everything is relative, so we all need some "hooch," to always ensure that we keep appreciating the splurges when we can get them!

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have often thought about joining that club @Multifarious5 so I would definitely love to get your reviews.

• Like Like x 3
  16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bought plenty of wine from TJs over the years!! Around here they've been a great source for Rhones. And we love us some Rhones. Plus, at those prices if you get something that goes into a stew, no pain.

Situational drinking? If you've followed our exploits, you'll know we spent seven years living in the heart of Santa Barbara County's Burgundy. That we are well stocked in Pinot and to a lesser degree Chardonnay is an understatement. But now we're killing off our other stuff -- Zin, Bordeaux grapes, Sangio, Tempranillo, Rhone varietals and blends. As we cut our club memberships way down we also shifted to a broader representation, so that explains part of it.

And like @thecarve, no experts here. We've just been drinking wine for a long time and we like to experiment.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not from Amazon, but a new trumpet mouthpiece. It's the last thing I need, really. But the never ending search for the perfect mouthpiece, continues. :blink:

• Like Like x 4
  18. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "lived in" :haha:

Quarantine makes us all be more resourceful and I don't think you should be embarrassed about making prison toilet wine at home. These are difficult times. :poke:

• Funny Funny x 10
  19. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    with work slowing down to not too much right now, Its got me ready to pull out my stretched beach cruiser trike I started building last year and got back burner-ed when we got busy at work...have to break it all down, bring it to work to weld a few things, then get it all prepped for fresh paint, also have to find someone to true a wheel for me, brand new and not straight lol

im also getting some ideas together since a car im looking at, the owner is not responding right now, so getting some crazy ideas for a future, major project with my current car, looking at 3D printers now, probably purchase one real soon lol

20. TheBlackjackKing

TheBlackjackKing Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I try to avoid amazon and support local businesses, and I will REALLY be doing that once this nonsense is over. I've actually banned my employees from getting amazon delivered to the office :D. But buying 3rd party stuff on amazon is ok cause they're actually small businesses, with that said I just bought a part for my laptop for $18 that I couldn't get from my local computer store cause it's closed :cry::cry:

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.