1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

To sleep, or not to sleep?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by EastCoastVegasFan!, Apr 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately, because of responsibilities, this is the flight I have to take back. Trying to strategize, sleep, or no sleep?

214A081A-0A22-4020-A1EA-A955F19255D5.jpeg

July 19th - July 24th
  2. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

For me
    It would depend on the beer consumption
    on my last day/nite.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And if I had a wing man.

4. snoopydogj

snoopydogj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you cancel your end of May trip?

5. hail2skins

hail2skins VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stay up all night and sleep on the plane.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Scottndindy

Scottndindy High-Roller

You are heading back to East coat time. You have an 8:15 eastern time departure. It all depends on what you have to do that day back home.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jon_vegas

jon_vegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If responsibilities force you to take that early of a flight, then I assume you have to perform said responsibilities soon after you get back. I would suggest to do the responsible thing and get sleep so you are able to perform these responsibilities.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  8. tfcoach72

tfcoach72 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do this quite often. I’m on east coast time, but I usually stay on east coast time my entire trip. Just depends on your schedule and bedtime in Vegas. For me it’s about the gaming, and there’s gaming available all 24 hours, no night owl for me.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Just a getaway! On the Gulf Coast—
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like @smerrian!

July 19th - July 24th
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha, ha.......that's up to you.

Personally, I don't do that kind of stuff. Traveling is supposed to be fun, so I'm not about to put myself in a self inflicted, torture situation. No way I could enjoy a trip like that. I would stay an extra day or two, or not go at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nah... we try to do mid afternoon. Lazy last morning, check out normal time. To to Amex Lounge for lunch and plenty of drinks. Get home just after rush hour to avoid traffic.

12. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm leaning towards sleep, mainly because as another poster said you seem to have responsibilities to attend to upon your arrival. Assuming you woke up at 9:00 am on Wednesday 29, you'll have been up for 24 hours and 40 minutes by the time you land in Baltimore. Of course, you might catch a few winks on the plane, but that amount of sleep will be pitiful at best.

The scenario I might provide as an analogy is this... say your flight was at 6:50 am and not 5:10 am. You'd sleep no question, right? Even if you sleep for only five or so hours in that case (bed at midnight, wake up at 5:00 am, head straight to airport), that five hours would make a huge difference in your day on Thursday 30.

Shifting this whole situation 100 minutes earlier to a 5:10 am departure only makes a marginal planning difference IMO. As much as it might suck to go to bed as early as 10:00 pm (or perhaps later if you figure you need less than five hours of sleep), I think the best-case scenario that it makes the intended difference is far better than the worst-case scenario that you'll be tired as shit once you land and might face some consequence from that tiredness (e.g., not being able to drive safely, suboptimal performance at the responsibility you have on arrival).

Also remember that whether or not you'd have the energy to stay up the whole time or not is completely speculative this far out. You don't know what your trip will be like once it actually happens. Thus, I would advise planning to sleep so that you have the option to not sleep if you so choose... whereas doing the opposite (i.e., planning to not sleep and then deciding you need to sleep) is probably going to be more difficult to do... especially if you don't get a hotel night that night.

I wouldn't risk not sleeping, personally. I've done some reckless and crazy things in the course of my travels, but this wouldn't be in my comfort zone.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    [TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sleep, even if four hours, plus a nap on the plane, which is something but not truly restful. With even a few hours you'll be tired the next day but won't be a walking zombie when you are supposed to be taking care of things.

14. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why not just leave a day early? Or is this a short trip already. I’d advise either go to bed early the night before, or sleep on the plane. Or both.

15. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Deleted, not a bad post, my feedback just into worth the TP it's written on.

Oh wait... That might make it worth something...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.