1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Your Obscure Music

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by FormallyTD, Mar 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhinoman7

rhinoman7 A Diamond in the Ruff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not necessarily from different genres, but somewhat obscure and awesome songs!!!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. FormallyTD

FormallyTD Big Time

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm only a little past Page 1 right now, but I'm listening to every song. Up to @Basil

It seemed like a decent way to discover some new music and not rely on those boneheads over at Pandora or Spotify (just relying on the boneheads on VMB).

Thanks for participating.

• Like Like x 3
  3. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, I think, FormallyTD. I have found a couple gems in the pile. May have skipped some. In the spirit of the challenge, I have posted a late Renaissance orchestral work and a 20th century Western ballad that was covered very satisfactorily by Willie Nelson but which I prefer in its original form. Trying to think of a great but obscure jazz piece. All of my faves that come to mind are well known.

Here's one, if it works. Eliana Elias is well known in her field but may be new to many here. The link works if you selecs://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=IlI5eTr5a-0&q=https://www.facebook.com/serdar.yasar.szy&redir_token=ichfpnCJEvRQ5Xg9UslMLWhFMqp8MTU4NTg2MTA4NUAxNTg1Nzc0Njg1

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  4. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband pointed out to me that he hears me singing this song a lot lately. Another Canadian Band, song from 1997. It seems very timely.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MTMONGO

MTMONGO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! That made my day.

6. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry in advance for the audio quality here, but this is my favorite recording of this song... early Nanci Griffith, playing at Anderson Fair in Houston... I was there for one of the two nights she played that were taped & recorded for a video & album release, so it's kind of special to me... You can still find the DVD & CD - "One Fair Summer Evening"

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  7. FormallyTD

FormallyTD Big Time

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you.

More people should participate. You could change someone's life, you know...and I'm not kiddin'.

It's odd that the last entry is the most relevant (to me). @topcard I love that CD. It's better than KISS Alive, Peter Frampton's deal that sold $9B copies worldwide and WASP's 'Live In The Raw'.

My folks loved Nanci and I most certainly do. This is a keeper, folks:
    61jOCvAOTIL._SL1076_.jpg
    @Gino I'm glad GG Allin had a penis my size and was a complete mad man. Did I say Mad Man? By D.R.I.?

One of my favorites.

I'll write more this weekend on this thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the show Bosch on Amazon. The main character loves jazz so I’ve picked up on some performers I never heard of.

Art Pepper if you like smooth jazz

• Like Like x 1
  9. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rarely do I hear any Lacy J Dalton played anymore. Love this song. How much music do we enjoy because people give up everything and follow their dreams.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

• Like Like x 2
  11. topcard

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The real shame was that she chose to leave out "There's a Light Beyond These Woods" on the CD... it's on the DVD, but far too many folks missed out on that song..

Here's another recording from that album/DVD & one of my favorites... "Workin' in Corners'... the "inside" story on this song is (was) the configuration of the stage at Anderson Fair back in the 70s & early 80s (when she first wrote & recorded this) She played Anderson Fair regularly back then... it was literally a 'triangle' in a corner of what was called "the listening room"... it was a truly special venue.

• Like Like x 1
  12. topcard

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One more thing about Anderson Fair & then I'll drop it - if this is the kind of music you like & the type of venue that you wish was more common, do yourself a huge favor & find the DVD "For the Sake of the Song"... here's a trailer for it...you'll see some familiar (& not so familiar) faces:

http://www.andersonfairthemovie.com/index.html

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. FormallyTD

FormallyTD Big Time

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Songs I purchased because of this thread. I either had never heard the song (enjoyed it) or had forgotten completely about the song (enjoyed it).

@blue808 'Li'i's Song - Keola Beamer (been listening to a few of his albums via the youtube as well....dig on that guy. Thanks Blue)
    @UKFanatic 'Fade To Grey' - Visage (I still dress like Steve Strange)
    @Hitmaxbet 'Feel The Same' - Riot. (my brother was really into these guys growing up and many of the bands like them...Krokus, Y&T, Fastway, Icon. I had completely forgot about that album 'Fire Down Below', which is a great one. 'Queen of the Ryche' is one of my favorite rock songs....so you have good taste)
    @mr.vegas 'Pissed Off and Mad About It' - Texas Hippie Coalition (never heard of them. I like that they are having a Pantera-esque sound, there....nobody can really pull that off, but that was a solid track, thank you)

Shout out to @Hollywood31 & @bardolator I haven't purchased anything from those bands, but I like your taste in harmonies.

@jpw711 excellent choices. Have some music from both bands. I'm partial to 'Crash Course In Brain Surgery' meself.

@DaiLun I didn't know anybody else had heard of It's A Beautiful Day. 'White Bird' is a great song.

I'll have to start up again with the posting of one @Valgal whose sister I'm supposed to fancy....someday.

Keep 'em comin' and thanks for the participation.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Count de Monet

Count de Monet High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's a busker from UK that is ready for Fremont Street.

""

• Love Love x 1
  15. PlanetMark

PlanetMark Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cool thread, I try hard to have a new favorite band every month or so... not sure whether King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard are rock and roll on acid, or psych rock on crack... next month, I'll have moved on.

If you want to support artists during the lockdown, head to bandcamp, find something you love and buy the albums / downloads.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

She had a Coronavirus exposure scare but she is past that now. I got in trouble for making fun of her in high school when she went to see this group in concert with her nerd friends. She was in every Accelerated class and club- Calculus, Physics etc. all her friends were equally smart. They all went to see John Denver and they opened. I like John Denver but never cared for them.

I always got in trouble for making fun of her intellect. She was always A+ and I was A- and solid B. She of course would make fun of me for not being as smart. Yawn- I didn’t care Girls just wanna have fun. I went to see the Doobie Brothers. My mom wanted to know what the smell was on my clothes.

And here is the group and song I could not stand and she loved. To this day it makes my list as one of my least favorite songs/group.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband loves this song. It’s his anthem. I always give him the evil eye and the look when he starts singing it.

Tompall Glaser. Put Another Log on the Fire

• Like Like x 2
  18. firemanpete3

firemanpete3 Low-Roller

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  19. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Waiting For “Very Good” Video Poker @ Rio…

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This band (now just the lead singer and whoever wants to play with him) is on my list of acts to see once the plague is over - the last video is an hour-plus live set released as a DVD with the album bearing the same name:

• Like Like x 1
  20. RushAndRoulette

RushAndRoulette Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think these are obscure, but who knows what corners of the world are hearing these with the internet these days. Apologies if these are chart-toppers somewhere, I don't listen to Casey Kasim as much these days.

This band, The Parlor Mob, is out of Asbury Park, NJ. I thought they would have been huge, but who knows why some make it and others don't. I couldn't pick my favorite, but the whole album "And you were a Crow" is solid gold in my opinion. Pick whichever of these 3 floats your boat after 10 seconds and rock out if it works for ya.

This band gets airplay on my college station, but I know nothing about them. They could be chart-toppers or a DJ's cousin. It's got an earworm chorus that I scream when I am pissed in traffic.

This was a side project of the Darkness' lead singer that went nowhere, but I love the bombacity of this song. The riff is contageous and the song is ridiculous as you would expect from Justin Hawkins. I would stick through this one. It sucks you in.

and lastly, to end on the lowest note possible, I see this band whenever they come to Brooklyn. They are like Sonic Youth, but with a Japanese singer who sings like Wing. This is either something you'll hate or be violently intrigued. They get one of those responses, and nothing in between. I can't even pick one song, so I chose this one. This is their most straight forward song, and It definitely is not mainstream by any definition

Hope these links work and have fun and thanks for this thread!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.