1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Crank/Spam Phone Calls

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by SteveO, Mar 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Starting two weeks ago I was getting more calls and some texts with much greater frequency, I believe tied to these MFs trying to take advantage of the health crisis that was already exploding in NYC at the time. May those folks rot in hell.

Fortunately, in the past couple of weeks I have received virtually none.

Edited to add: A couple of times I picked up and let the call connect and told them I was recording them, that the Attorney General of NYS was a friend and that they better run and hide . . . Yeah, I did that. Felt great.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  2. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm wondering what the heck it is that I do differently that prevents me from getting spam calls :confused: I literally cannot remember the last time I got one, and even if I think back to such times it's only ever been "brute force" calls. For instance, there's a common one here in Toronto where a recording "from DHL" comes on with a woman speaking Mandarin, which EVERYBODY gets. Other than that, no memory.

Mind you, I tend to actively withdraw my consent to be contacted from virtually anything that I sign up for. But y'all seem to get multiple junk calls per DAY, and I'm just left wondering how that's even possible :eek:

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
  3. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you ever get such calls at a moment where you have time to spare, another good thing to do is leading them on and wasting as much of their time as you can. The more time they spend waiting for you to "find your credit card", the less time they have to scam people who might actually fall for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  4. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think those in India are too busy with their own problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some time ago, a cohort of mine, when he got a sales call, would say "hold on a minute", put the phone down, and eventually hang up when he heard the "clanking" alarm for receiver off hook. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The places I worked at usually had a strict "CPH" (calls per hour) minimum, so any hold that was longer than 30 seconds was usually marked a "call back later", and we'd move onto the next call.

For places that didn't have such rules, I can imagine that this would be a great way to attain that effect :)

7. gr8whitenorth

gr8whitenorth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had the same work cell number (never actually owned a personal cell) for 14 years now. The spam calls I get go up and down all over the place. A complete PITA when I am traveling out of the country as they are getting trickier with the numbers they spoof. I have taken to only answering calls I recognize for the most part. This week ironically I've not gotten a single bogus calls thus far. Last week about 2 or 3 per day.

8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aaaaaarrrrgh! I don't think I could EVER work in a call center! Gotta be the most thankless job there is!

"Hello, uh, Ms. Renn-er-Key? The purpose of my call is ..."
    "Please put me on your do not call list! **CLICK!**"

9. tigers4life

tigers4life Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The number of calls I have gotten is way down.

10. jlpkap

jlpkap Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don’t get anymore since my IPhone added in settings and then phone to activate a block for all calls if people not in your contact list. Spam callers don’t like and if it is a legit call they can just leave a message. Love it.

11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uh, hello {giggle} is your refrigerator running?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey @booker
    How about the ones hawking hearing aids, lol. DH gets those 3 or 4 times a week like clockwork.

Haven’t seen a change in spam calls, but emails yes.
    The biggest increase I see are all of the pizza and fast food places informing us of their new safer food handling and non touch process.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never get crank/spam calls on my cell phone because it is always turned off. At home, I monitor all calls and simply do not answer calls from numbers I do not want to be bothered with.

14. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They passed some new robocall laws which went into effect this year, so that could be why some are starting to receiving less spam calls.
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/law-robocalls/story?id=68008423

I'm not getting as many spam calls, but I still get a few almost everyday. My mobile carrier (Verizon) has also been tagging some of these incoming calls that I receive as "possible spam". If I don't recognize a callers ID, I just let it go to voicemail anyways, but most of the time these spammers never leave a message.

15. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In reference to emails - I had posted asking how to clean up things on hotmail a few months ago. I finally got things going appropriately into the in box & the junk box.

After that I signed back up for mailwasher pro. I hadn’t used it in years and decided I would give it a shot again. After about 6 weeks of bouncing the domains/sources that were consistent I went from well over 100 spam per day down to 30-50. After another month it is down to around 12-25 per day. I don’t bother and bounce the dlcjejbx.com domains or total garbage ones like that - you know it won’t ever get back to them anyway. But I do bounce the ‘consistent’ domain names. And it definitely has been a good investment for me.

Easter again..:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have an answering machine at home so I don't get many spam calls. They don't leave messages. I don't pick up the phone so after a while they stop calling me.

Edited to say that only the "IRS" leaves me messages. That and people wanting to help me pay off my mortgage and bills.

Most of us can't work there because we have consciences.

17. SteveO

SteveO Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmm. Seems some are the same some are up and some are down. We’re definitely down in number of calls per day. Some days not any whereas last month it might have been 5-7-10 per day.

18. rolotumasi

rolotumasi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few years ago I received a call that my Social security was compromised. I would have to give my SS# to the guy on the phone so he could verify it was the one in trouble. I told him I would have to see a picture of his mother. He said "what are you talking about" I told him if his mother looked hot I would give him the number then I just hung up.:D

• Like Like x 1
  19. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's what I do. Put the receiver on speaker, and just let them get through their spiel. I used to be combative - tell the caller that they need to find a better job - but the Mrs. says that these poor folks are just doing a job that they can do (and 'Steve' must be a very popular name in India). My take was that they're fully briefed on whatever scam is being run, so not a whole lot of sympathy from me. Now, they get to talk to air. But...the frequency has dropped to zero as of late. Not sure what the root cause is, but I'm fine with the decrease.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.