1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Changing date on iPhone photos?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by jgates8, Mar 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any suggestions for changing dates on iPhone photos? I am cleaning & finding old tickets etc. Would prefer to take a photo of them & then edit the date to match what is on it so it lines up appropriately in photo timeline.

I am finding info that it is easy to do with a Mac, however I don’t have one.

Any app suggestions? I saw Pixelgarde & Metadata Pro mentioned but not familiar with those at all. I have Polarr & PS Express but I can’t see a date function in those.

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don’t see a need to be concerned about the date taken on a photo, really.
    What type of tickets are you talking about?

3. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I suspect the OP is taking photos of old event tickets for the sake of memories (sports/concert tickets), and wants the photo of the ticket stub to be dated for the actual date of the event, so that the image of the stub shows up right along with the photos of the event itself in a sequential photo timeline.

E.g., The concert may have been on September 1, 2018 but OP took the picture today... it makes more sense for the photo of the ticket stub to show up in the photo album along with other photos on September 1, 2018, so the visual of the stub can be enjoyed along with the photos of the concert.

JGates, is this what you meant? Admittedly, I know nothing about these types of things from a technical perspective. But as a matter of phrasing what you're asking, I'm pretty sure this was your question and just wanted to clarify for the sake of helping others better assist you.

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
  4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    exiftool is the industry standard for editing, removing writing image file metadata.

It's a freely-available perl program and will run on almost any platform. I know that it will run on Samsung Galaxy phones, so I assume it may run on iphones as well. (Or is this assuming too much?)

• Like Like x 1
  5. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a Mac, so it's easy to edit the metadata in photos just using the built in Photo app. Since you don't have a Mac, do you have a Windows PC? You can edit metadata in Windows 10 by right clicking on the file, clicking properties, then details.

There's an iPhone version of exiftool that DMR mentioned, but it's a paid app. Since I use Macs, I didn't need another metafile editor, so I've never given it a try.

6. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, @notfromconcentrate. That’s a good point. I work off several media and file platforms and can set up edited photos and timelines when needed for work.
    Nothing against @jgates8. Just curious. :peace:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exiftool should NEVER be a paid product. It's free and open-source. If anyone wants the source code, PM me and I will send it to you. It should run on anything with a more or less standard perl interpreter on it.

8. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes to the initial question. The last couple of trips I’ve taken a pic of the ticket, program etc at the same time I attended. However I have a bunch of old items I’m finding when I am cleaning out drawers.

So if I take a pic of a concert ticket from 2016, I’d like to set the date back to 2016.

I do have a Windows PC. Just not sure if I’d get it back to my phone retaining the edited properties (not home right now to test. At hospital w mom but can’t stare at the wall any longer) or the date/time it downloaded. My 1st instinct is if I email it back to myself and download it to phone it then might pick up most current date?

9. gr8whitenorth

gr8whitenorth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A quick search of the interwebs turned up:

https://www.colorpilot.com/exif.html

Looks to be a freebie. You can edit the EXIF metadata of the picture in question and reset what you would like to.

10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having created and edited countless image files over more than two decades, I can give you some detail here.

The "date" of a digital image is an overloaded term and can be confusing.

There are two general kinds of dates (including times) that may be attached to your images.

First is the "File Date", which is an attribute of the image file, that your computer and operating system sees. This is what is shown when you do a "dir" command in Dos/Windows or "ls" command in Linux or what shows in your file manager.

Second is a set of internal dates/times contained within the EXIF data of the image. These have names such as Create Date, Date/Time Original, Modify Date, Date/Time Digitized etc. These may or may not be self-explanatory and may or may not be intuitive and may or may not be present in your images. Usually some kind of original or creation date will be there, as well as some kind of a last modified date. These are all attributes of the image, and are internal to the image file.

MANY amateur photographers confuse file dates with EXIF dates.

Depending on your operating system (and skill of using it) there may be more than one file date. The one that is usually shown on a "dir" or "ls" command or in a file manager is the last modified date. This is when the file was last changed, or if never changed, when created. This may or may not carry over when the image file is copied from device to device. The others are such things as last access date and Inode date. Explaining about Inodes is currently above my pay grade, but I am learning. :) Some file managers are smart enough to "peek" into the EXIF dates of image files.

You can view/change the internal EXIF dates with exiftool or any of several others.

Depending on your operating system and skill, you can indeed change things such as the file creation date using various operating system tools or add-on tools.

Depending on how complete your EXIF editor is, you can change anything EXIF-wise within the image, including creation date, last modify date etc.

You might also be surprised as to how much information is contained within the EXIF data of your photos! :)

I hope that this clarifies more than it confuses. If you're confused, ask and I will try to clarify.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will likely have to ask some addl questions @dmr

Thank you guys.

12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And another way -change the date on the phone before you take the picture?

13. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use EXIF on the phone

14. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmmm. Not sure on this one. I’d have to see if I could adjust it by disconnecting cellular. It picks up from tower.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.