1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wallets... do you still carry one? Do you do anything uniquely nowadays?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by notfromconcentrate, Mar 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. tigers4life

tigers4life Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still like to use cash and never get organized enough to get to one or three cards. But I did switch last trip to a neck wallet. I loved it but only when I travel

3. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I go to Vegas I bring a money clip and use that just for tipping money. I also empty my wallet of many non-essential items that I won't bother to use in Vegas, like my store rewards cards, costco membership, etc.

At home my wallet and keys go in one pocket, phone goes in the other.
    In Vegas my wallet is smaller and goes in one pocket, and my phone and tipping money goes in the other.

I don't deal much with cash at home as I do in Vegas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I totally agree that different folks like different things.

BUT - those that say they could never reduce and/or get rid of the wallet... well... how do you KNOW?

I have talked to many that thought the same thing and once they gave it a few days, well... most did not go back. Why not try?

5. TheBlackjackKing

TheBlackjackKing Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I'm in a dangerous place I'll carry two small ones, one that has money and one that has cards, so if I get robbed they'll just get the money but I'll still have my cards and IDs lol...other than that yes I usually have a designer wallet on me

• Like Like x 1
  6. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If going the multi-wallet route as a theft mitigation strategy, why not have the "other" wallet contain a small amount of money and a couple of less important cards? I.e. you'd have your main wallet that has your ID, main cards, most of your cash... but your "other" wallet might have a couple cards you use less often, maybe a few dummy loyalty cards as well to fill the slots, and maybe like $40 cash. That way if you hand it to the robber and they check it, they'll be more likely to believe that's your real wallet. Whereas I feel like the average robber might get suspicious if they get handed a wallet with only cash in it.

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
  7. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I've read up more on minimalism, I've found that what helps people overcome this is the question of "Okay, you have all of these things that you claim you need... choose which of these things you'll use today. Anything else for tomorrow? Next week? Of what remains, what do you need and why?".

Naturally much easier said than done for many, but I think that consciously choosing what you actually need versus a blind assumption favouring overestimation of what you think you need is a key turning point for giving up any hoarding-like tendencies... which I think does apply to wallets as much as it does to anything else.

8. oldbrewzer

oldbrewzer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still carry a wallet and like tmoney25 above take out all the non-essentials like photos, business cards, etc. After all, you need room in the wallet to bring back all the winnings. LOL.:D

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Minimalism and wallet are not mutually exclusive terms.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. TheBlackjackKing

TheBlackjackKing Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The other wallet will have expired cards or something along those lines lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't figure out why anybody cares what somebody else does or carries.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I carry a wallet. I have a Tuumi wallet. I think thats how it’s spelled. I love Tuumi wallets.

In Vegas I carry 2 wallets. One of them is my bankroll wallet only.

It is very very fat.:poke:

13. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To be clear that's not what I'd meant to imply. I think that because wallets have a somewhat flexible physical capacity (i.e. you can jam a bunch of receipts, dry cleaning tickets, etc. into a given pocket without a set limit), it enables small-scale hoarding to go uncorrected. There is absolutely no way that the average person who carries a "Costanza" could possibly need everything in there on a day-to-day basis, which is why I added onto NSH's idea of trying only taking what you need to see how it works, by saying that this principle is commonly used in minimalism, as it forces people to ask a question they ordinarily would not ask themselves out of complacency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great phrase! Cant disagree with you.

• Like Like x 1
  15. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is how I handle TIPs and PLAY money. My wad of cash is folded once, without a money clip in my pocket. With $1 always on the outside, I can reach in and pull out $1s. I actually pull out 1 or 2 BEFORE my drink comes. Or if looking for water, I have it out and ready.

As to play slots, etc... The $100 bills are in the center of the fold. I can easily reach into my pocket and pull out a $100 bill. Do it all the time.

BIG NEGATIVE? I reach into pocket for another $100 bill and come up with a $20. Time to quit. Or reach into my back pocket where I keep some reserve $100's.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  16. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think anybody really "cares"... though I do think most people still on this thread at nearly 100 posts in are certainly curious.

The common theme so far in this thread has been that we all seem to handle our cards/cash/small documents in different ways... particularly with changing norms between digitized payment methods, less frequent use of cash, and fewer paper documents like receipts.

There isn't necessarily a "right" or "wrong" way to use a wallet, since we all do whatever makes sense for us. But getting to hear the perspectives of others when it comes to a topic that a lot of people don't normally talk about (especially outside of their real life social circles) can certainly be insightful. Heck, the #1 thing I learned from this thread was that eye surgery cards are a thing, and that you have to carry them with you when driving if you've had corrective surgery.

I don't necessarily care what other people do or carry... and there are things mentioned in this thread that I would never do myself, but I pass no judgement. Though I absolutely am curious, because I gain perspective as a result... and I trust most readers/participants of this thread have derived the exact same benefit.

What's the harm?

17. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But where do you keep the condom if you don't carry a wallet????

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've abstained from doing such things impulsively for some time now, so I can't speak much from firsthand experience. Though I will say you'd be surprised at how common it is for women to carry them in their purses. I'd say that's due to some combination of having the physical space in a purse (thus making it less of an inconvenience), and it usually being the men who say "whoops I don't have a condom but it's okay my pullout game is strong", thus forcing the woman to have protection on hand if she wants it to happen.

Of course, that's a whole other topic :) but I feel like that's a relevant paradigm shift in discussions about wallets, and what happens when people (especially men) stop using traditional wallets in favour of money clips/phone cases.

I wonder what other things have changed in parallel.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Calder

Calder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Because as interesting as the thread may be, carrying a wallet hardly constitutes a burden.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  20. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I s'pose you could always put it on before heading out for the ever-hopeful evening. Nothing says minimalist quite like not having to tote around that burdensome condom wrapper. :poke:

• Funny Funny x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.