1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sobriety in Vegas

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by EastCoastVegasFan!, Mar 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you put it in your head that it's going to be fun, new, different and seek out different kinds of experiences then you'll have a good time. If you put it in your head that it's going to suck, then it's going to suck. You're not doing this to punish yourself. You're doing this to shake things up and have a good time.

• Like Like x 1
  2. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bartenders are professionals, right? Maybe they are health professionals. If my health professional asks if I’d like another drink, I say yes, thank you. So this sobriety thing in Vegas isn’t going to work for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He’s right, who am I kidding?!?! I’m back on the Vegas drunk bandwagon! Had a moment of stupidity! :)

July 19th - July 24th
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. steveks225

steveks225 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being involved in the Four Queens/Binions situation last week, I decided to go "off campus" in my rental car, and see if increased play at other properties around town would be enough to trigger offers that I otherwise wouldn't get. When I'm driving in Las Vegas, I'm not lacking for opportunities to see all sorts of examples of bad driving, and I'm doing enough gambling that imbibing doesn't have to be part of my trip.

5. Vegas Todd

Vegas Todd MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My goal is to not PAY for drinks in Vegas.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My trip two weeks back I was completely gone the night I got in. 6 or 7 long islands later and I slid up to my room. Felt like crap for two days after and that was all I needed to just keep drinking water the remainder of my trip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I call " being sober in Vegas "........when there isn't a beer in my hand !
    So....I've had a few moments "sober".....in Vegas.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. FormallyTD

FormallyTD Big Time

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is like going to Glacier National Park blindfolded.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vegas Todd

Vegas Todd MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's funny. In all my Vegas trips, I've never been hungover. Must be all those weak drinks they comp you. Believe me, I run the gambit out there. Bloody Mary's for openers, Coronas all day & vodka tonics all night. Maybe it's the oxygen they supposedly pump in. Who knows. I admit that I'm a little slow getting up compared to my younger Vegas days, (age?) but I never get a hangover there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gr8whitenorth

gr8whitenorth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I were talking about the very same thing last night. On our last trip my wife went to the well like a person possessed within hours of arriving. Needless to say by about 10pm she was out. Down for the count. She isn't a big drinker and rarely drinks when not on vacation. When she does she'll often end up in bed for the entire next day. Well that next morning she was out of bed before I got up and in the gym and felt just fine. A few trips ago I had a particularly fun night which resulted in me taking about 20 minutes to walk down the hallway to the Tower rooms at Lux. Bouncing off the walls as I went. Same thing, the next morning I was right as rain. Now on our most recent trip to Mexico I overdid it and felt like death warmed over the next day. Yes, there is a trend developing here... We drink on vacation. However we cannot remember ever being hungover in Vegas.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had to be sober for a week in Vegas after my jet-skiing accident two summers ago. Even though I never had to use the heavy-duty painkillers I was given, the doctors told me not to drink at all in case I have to start taking them. In that case, my experience was obviously impaired by the fact that I had broken ribs and had very limited mobility (as well as needing to be very careful, since even a slight stumble could aggravate my injury). I still enjoyed my extra time in Vegas all the same... though admittedly, I've had way more fun when I have been able to drink.

For unrelated reasons that I won't get into here, I may have to be mostly or completely sober on my upcoming trip. Which, being both NOLA and Vegas, will probably suck. But I feel like it will be an interesting experience all the same, doing it through the lens of not having to nurse an injury.

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
  12. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Waiting For “Very Good” Video Poker @ Rio…

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My body seems to gained a significant level of sensitivity to alcohol; I used to have some very happy happy hours :thumbsup: but now I pretty much just have *a* drink in Vegas:

1) When meeting with people (yay social anxiety :goofy:)
    2) When it gets really busy around the VP bars and I need to calm down
    3) I have some sort of one-shot F&B credit or coupon threshold I need to clear and doing it all with food just isn’t going to happen

All in all, this means at least half of my Vegas days are sans alcohol, while the others don’t have much... helps with VP accuracy :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go to Vegas to cut loose & “shoot the shit” with friends or my wife. For me, a big part of cutting loose is being able to overindulge a little and stumble home. Even as someone who rarely drinks in my normal life, I can’t really imagine Vegas without booze.

That said, I’d never discourage anyone from doing anything sober.

14. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @EastCoastVegasFan! I know you will have fun whether with drinks, or no drinks. I don't think you gamble all that much, but love pools, so it might be even easier!

I only gamble in Vegas, and it's more for the excuse to live large with free rooms AND gamble lots. I couldn't spend what I do in Vegas without freebies. And I wouldn't have as much fun gambling on a tighter budget where paying for rooms.

Im actually really frugal most of the year, so my cocktails are a BIG part of having fun playing.

No drinks?

Each spin kills me, as I see the money go down.

Too many drinks?

I'm SURE I'm a few spins a way from winning lots, so why not bet more liberally? (Recipe for disaster.)

So for me, since gaming is a BIG part of my focus in Vegas, cocktails go hand in hand, but within reason.

If I didn't game like a total degen, and I just ate and did pools and explored? (I'm not a clubber/shopper), I'd be fine without drinks.

Bottomline, I know you'll still have fun, and that's, what makes, Vegas beautiful, there is NO right way to do it.... it's, what you enjoy!

Ps if you do drink again on a Vegas trip, I second others on sobering up time. We never risk it, as the body can always process alcohol at different speeds. Coming off a debaucherous trip can sometimes take longer to be 100% bright eyed and bushy tailed. Just uber/lyft/cab it to/from your home airport. It might cost a little more, but it's 100% risk-free and so worth it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can tell OP from my personal experience (with more than 100 trips) that one can enjoy Vegas without drinking alcohol.

• Like Like x 1
  16. epWick

epWick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I often leave the room with a tall chilly one and usually have a drink in front of me while gambling. I for sure get one more before I walk around again. I don't get too drunk and hungover because when I'm handling chips and money, I spend more time concentrating than pounding drinks. On most days I get tired before I get too drunk.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Kachow

Kachow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I suffer from a particularly bad case of Asian Flush when I have even one or two drinks, not only do I turn red, but my heart starts beating really hard and fast and I get a pounding headache. Because of that I don’t drink. For some reason, marijuana used to be the only thing that would counteract that, and in my youth I preferred the devil’s weed but would also drink. But that was many years ago and The industry I work in is a drug test heavy industry for safety reasons, so I haven’t partaken in a very long time. So I go through life completely sober not quite by choice, but by necessity. Vegas is still by far my #1 favorite vacation spot, and I have no problem having fun gambling or doing anything else there 100% sober, plus I always feel pretty dang good when I wake up, minus the occasional stiff neck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  18. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been drunk once in my life. I was 18 years old and almost got kicked out of my dorm. I have never been drunk since. I have never understood this idea of getting drunk and wearing it as a badge of honor. It would seem to be a problem that needs to be dealt with. But, to each his own I guess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Golfer

Golfer Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I gamble stone cold sober. I enjoy it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Hard6n8

Hard6n8 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tend to agree. I certainly wouldn't tell someone how to have their "fun", but I simply dont understand what's fun about getting shitfaced.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.