1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Been in Vegas during any iconic moments?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Johnzimbo, Feb 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idtwins

idtwins Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was there with @bugfinder72 during this quake. I remember waking up thinking "wow, that's a strong wind to move the building!"

2. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Coulda been me...

49058267_10213186514446094_2942419473866424320_o.jpg

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
    • Funny Funny x 4
  3. WiBadgerbacker

WiBadgerbacker Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    During my first trip to Vegas in 1996 the Atlanta Olympic bombing went down. I was sitting at O’Shea’s when it first came on TV. This was obviously pre-9/11, so normal airport security was very lax. When we flew back and when through McCarren, there were armed soldiers all over the airport. It was frightening and reassuring at the same time.

4. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was staying at the Flamingo during the Cosmo pool fire in July of 2015. I looked up from the pool and saw a huge smoke stack. No one had any idea what it was, and my phone was blowing up as friends knew I was in Vegas.

Capture.PNG

July 19th - July 24th
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
  5. woodsie

woodsie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The interesting thing about slot RNG is that had you been there to snake the winner's spot in line, the Lion's share almost certainly would NOT have been hit that night by you or anyone else. Heck, it's possible that it might have been still up right now as we speak.

So yeah, thanks a lot for blowing it for the rest of us. :nono:

6. BlackJackLady

BlackJackLady High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were in Vegas when Hurricane Katrina hit. Hadn't had tv on the entire week s had no clue there had been bad weather.Saw it on a Newspaper headline the day before we checked out to head home (Texas so really not affected). Got a call from our daughter that storm had knocked down 1/2 our back fence. She called our insurance and we dealt with it when we got home.

7. rhinoman7

rhinoman7 A Diamond in the Ruff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Quite possible!!! I do miss that machine! Made it a point to stop there at least once every trip. Playing that machine helped keep me at Pearl for a few years!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. rhinoman7

rhinoman7 A Diamond in the Ruff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jackson. Hee hee.
    Guess I should have been more specific. LOL!!!

9. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that's a generational thing... I hear "MJ" and I think "Jordan"...somebody younger hears the same thing and thinks "Jackson".

Normally, there's context to inform you which one (e.g. - "I saw Pippin & MJ at the crap table!"...or "MJ and Janet were seen at the Palms")...when it comes to Vegas, it really could be either...
    :beer:

10. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My friends saw Frank Thomas and Gary Coleman (standing on a chair) playing craps at the same table in the 1990s, quite the Odd Couple.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in vegas when the false missile alert went off in Honolulu. It looked kind of scary, I was at the crap table when it started posting that Honolulu is going through a missile alert and people were panicking because of the incoming missile.

They were showing people opening up manhole covers to get inside to protect themselves from the missiles.

This was right after the time when we found out N Korea was test firing missiles so many people actually believed that missiles were flying to Honolulu. I didn't bother calling anyone at home, figured they had enough on their hands so I just kept up with the news every time I was near a tv. I didn't believe for one second that missiles were flying to Honolulu, figuring that N Korea was too incompetent at the time to hit a target thousands of miles away.

A few hours later and finding out that the missile alert was just bogus. Then I found out that our idiot governor knew about the false alert a few minutes after it started but he didn't remember his social network password (????) so didn't notify anyone that the alert was bogus. What a moron, he couldn't call the tv news outlets to put out a bulletin?

I was glad that I was in vegas, I would have been pissed that the gov did jack shit to calm the people of Hawaii when it was needed most.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
  13. Jamstrick

Jamstrick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does Pete Rose signing autographs count? Dozens of times?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol. That's so dog-bites-man that we might as well chalk up finding a roll of toilet paper on the hanger in the shitter to be an iconic moment. (And it certainly is if you get in there, do your business and find out there is no roll!!)

15. BCguy

BCguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was in Vegas the day Roy Horn was mauled by his tiger. Funny we'd been at the Secret Garden earlier in the day. Always wondered if the tiger was kept there that day.

16. RTCraft

RTCraft Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nothing earth shattering and I didn’t witness it, but we were the when they Riviera was imploded (the first one) in June 2016.

17. rm22

rm22 Gym Junkie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was just there a few wks ago and found out that the presidential debate was across the street at the Paris theatre. While i watched it on tv in my room, the candidates kept referring to 'here in Nevada....' Also, during my entire stay there was a newscaster with a permanent corner seat on the patio at Hexxbar giving new shows.

18. Frankr163

Frankr163 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was more than one Riveria?

19. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it was dropped in two separate explosions I think they done the 2nd part about a month later

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Eusdawb

Eusdawb Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.