1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Do you still have a landline?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by notfromconcentrate, Feb 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We hadn't had a land line since 2002.
    Recently we upgraded our internet service and it came with landline.
    The only phone we could find was my old LIPS phone from the 90's.
    We don't use it, the ringer is "off"
    We can still hear it ring slightly occasionally.
    입술.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We haven’t had landline probably over 15 years ago.... might have been before that...I bought one of those “intent free call” phone wheee you can make phone call oversea for free (had this service for couple of years)

3. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still have a land line because my cell phone is usually turned off. If anybody really needs to call me, they can call me at home and leave a message. I have yet to find a phone call that was that important that I need to use my cell phone. My cell phone is mainly for emergencies when I am away from home. I do not live my life out of my cell phone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, we have one, even though my 24 year old son makes fun of us every time he comes to the house. :D

But I'm glad I have it. Yesterday I broke the screen on my cell phone and it wouldn't work. I was getting calls but the screen was dark and I couldn't answer.

So I used my land line at home to call around to all the cell phone repair places to see who had a replacement screen on hand.
    Ha! Take that son!
    The other use is when my wife is trying to get a hold of me and I have left my cell phone in the bedroom.

The landline is part of our Google Fiber account. It only costs $60 a year. And it has an anti-spam feature. Not many calls get past it so it's not an annoyance.

• Like Like x 1
  5. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, not for many years

6. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dumped my traditional landline with the phone company years ago. Although when I moved into my new condo a few years ago, VoIP service came bundled with my cable TV/Internet plan, so I have a VoIP phone that I use as a backup to my mobile phone. If I were to remove VoIP service from my plan, my rates would actual go up which is crazy, but that's Comcast for you. LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  7. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, we have a landline in our Comcast 'bundled' service. Internet and tv would cost more if I got them without the landline. But we use our landline. We have 8 phones positioned around the house so that we're always by a phone when someone calls and I don't have to run around the house to answer the phone. I often leave my cell phone in the car or in the anteroom to the house. It sits there until I leave the house again. Everyone knows to try the land line first...if no answer then try to get us on our cell.

• Like Like x 2
  8. RebelDiceMan

RebelDiceMan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes we have a landline. However, we don't answer it unless we recognize the number as a friend or relative. Otherwise the answering machine picks up the message.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Caller-ID is a godsend! Anything I don't recognize or I'm not expecting I let cut to voicemail.

Lately I've been seeing a lot of spoofed faux local calls and I've learned to recognize them. Most of the numbers in the immediate area are in the form of 402-895-xxxx or 402-332-xxxx and if they are legit, they will have the caller name on them. If they just say "Omaha, NE" or even "Out of area" then they are fraudulent and I ignore them!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. For credit card payments over the phone. And I just don't want my Dr Dentist etc having access to my cellphone number

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s gotten really bad up here, the local number spoofing. I’ve heard anecdotes of scammers spoofing HOSPITAL phone numbers so that even for people who don’t answer calls from numbers they don’t recognize and just Google the number after to see what it is, their Google search will turn up a hospital phone number which will make most people panic... and then when that number tries again a few minutes later, the recipient will be far more likely to pick up AND will be frazzled/panicking and thus more susceptible to getting scammed.

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
  12. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No landline. No television product (cable, satellite, internet TV platform). Cellphone $39.98 per month (includes Chicago State and Federal Taxes). Internet $60 per month. Cancelled my landline about 15 years ago when AT&T DSL internet became available in my area, and I switched from dial-in 53,333 KBPS Mindspring (a great company, though no DSL here). My only other internet option is Comcast, which I will forgo home internet completely before handing them a penny.

Liked it better when the above combined was under $40 ($10 flip phone, $29.99 internet), though the iPhone does come in handy and the internet speed is much faster than dial-up.

Unless you broadcast on talk radio or have extensive work phone requirements for a completely reliable clear phone call, there is no need for a landline circa 2010, let alone 2020. Flip phones are still either free (based on income) or $10-$20 per month, and are fine for what 99% of people need with a landline.

13. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a new one to me. Why wouldn’t you want your doctor or dentist to have access to your cell phone number?

If it’s a matter of not wanting your number to “get out there” somehow, wouldn’t their computer systems be far more secure than the average business, handling medical information?

If it’s a matter of privacy... wouldn’t you want calls from a doctor to come straight to your personal cell as opposed to a landline, where whoever else is using the line might see who called and/or be able to hear voicemails?

14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still have my landline. I have it bundled with my DSL.

I like the landline because I can screen my calls. I have an answering machine, most telemarkers and scammers don't leave messages so while I get many phone calls I don't answer them so it goes to the answering machine and they hang up. I do get some messages from the "IRS" and "credit card people" but I just delete them and ignore them.

Don't know, I may never get rid of my landline unless the companies get rid of them.

Yes, I can screen my calls on my cel phone and people can leave messages but I only give out my cel number to family and close friends so I hardly get any spam calls. I want to keep it that way, rather give my home number instead of cel number.

I have a pay as you go cel phone, pay $20 every 3 months ($80 a year) so I don't give out my cel number. I use the phone when I travel (mostly for emergencies) so sometimes I notice I start getting spam calls on it when I use the phone to call some businesses when I am away. Luckily the spam calls stop after a few weeks/months.

At home I wish I could switch to a faster service than DSL but my condo is old (over 40 years old) and the net companies won't string fiber lines unless they get the exclusive contract on the building, something that won't happen because the residents have different net services and won't switch to the other.

Yeah, I do miss having a smart phone, when I was at the CES they had giveaways but you needed to respond on facebook or other media, something that I can't really do on my flip phone.

Unfortunately my cel phone service (virgin mobile) got bought out by Boost so I may have to switch to a more expensive plan once the switch takes effect.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  15. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I LOVE nomorobo.

16. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Doctor uses a cell; very handy as I can text the Dr's office to make an appointment.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gotta love that! As a way of battling sales calls, my doctor's office doesn't even answer phone calls :eek: voicemail or email, that's it. Would love an option to text instead.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope. Haven't for probably 15 years, or close. I do have a pair of long range walkie talkies in case s* ever hits the fan and cell towers go down. Probably only good for 1-2 miles max, and may not work.

But, I like having a backup to cell towers if needed, just not willing to pay x amount per month for telemarketers!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a matter of privacy and just preference. I just hardly use my cellphone for calls like that. Family are really the only one's who call my cellphone. As far as my landline it's only myself and my kids who have access to the voicemails so no problem there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to have a landline because my data service is really bad. Most of our relatives have got rid of their landlines.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.