1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Frontier Airlines...

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by NYNYGirl, Feb 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So what is it like to fly them? A little background as to why I'm asking. For our upcoming trip in May was to be myself DD22 her friend and my sister (which would have been her first time there). Well my sister is not able to go. But we were flying into LAX to visit her friends for a couple days as well. Then we were going to drive to Vegas. Now ready to scrap that part of the trip as well and just get to Vegas asap.

So rather than paying $150 pp to change our incoming flights (from lax to las) we are looking to just get another flight from Lax to McCarran. Saw some decent prices via frontier but never flew them.

So wondering since the 3 remaining will have the typical one personal/carryon and one checked (I get it those free on our JetBlue) does frontier charge for any of this. And anything else i should know about them. Thanks for any ideas..

2. zignerlv

zignerlv VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Short answer. Frontier charges for nearly everything.

Only a "personal item" is included, which is a bag small enough to fit under the seat in front of you. If you want assigned seats, there is a fee for any pre-assigned seat (not just premium seats). So, if you want to be guaranteed to be seated next to each other, the only way you can do that is by buying assigned seats. Of course, for such a short flight, you can just accept that you might not be seated together. They even charge for water on the flight, so bring a refillable water bottle and fill it after security check if you want to avoid that cost.

All these fees can easily double the price of a flight, even if you don't elect to pay for all the options.

https://www.skyscanner.com/tips-and-inspiration/frontier-airlines-fees

https://upgradedpoints.com/frontier-airlines-baggage-fees/

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  3. steveks225

steveks225 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you should choose to fly Frontier, be aware that your FF miles go bye bye after six months of inactivity. They’re at least giving SWA competition on the STL-LAS route that I try to do 2x/year, however due to their business model, Frontier is just not for me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Take one large suitcase for all. Divide the cost. Redistribute clothing upon return. Yes, the add ons are killer.

5. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I knew there was more to be said for such cheap flights. Will certainly look around and check out other airlines. Thanks for the heads up

6. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And thanks for the links. Very helpful

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Honestly, just pay to change the flight, it's going to be way less of a hassle than flying to LAX and then boarding another flight to LAS. Rental car savings should fund a chunk of this since the rental companies nail you for driving a one way from LAX to LAS.

8. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest prices are pretty decent between LAX and LAS...and no baggage fees!

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    probably depends upon the day/time of the week you want to go. Wouldn't expect a great deal on Friday at 5 pm

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Of course one would have to check, but 5/22/2020, on a holiday weekend, shows for $69 at 5:15 p.m. and $49 at 6:50 p.m.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @150 pp no thanks. $450 spent and nothing to show for.

12. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's pretty close it's actually the 16th...

13. NickG

NickG Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experience with Frontier has been uniformly terrible. I don’t really mind the a la carte charges. But every flight I’ve booked with them has either been delayed multiple hours or cancelled. They gave me a $150 credit for the most recent cancellation, so I did use it to book my return flight from Vegas next month (I figure being delayed coming back from Vegas is less frustrating than a delay coming to Vegas). But I will never again give them my money.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  14. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it is more of a challenge on these airlines, although I note that the worst case in booking Frontier from LAX to LAS is a lot different than the worse case in booking, say, ATL to LAS

15. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All my Frontier flight (approaching 20) have been good except one. Yes, you pay for everything. But do you? I can understand if you have kids but if you travel alone or even with friends...DO YOU HAVE TO SIT NEXT TO THE PERSON YOU TRAVEL WITH?

When Ive flown Frontier/Allegiant/Spirit----I have yet to pay for a seat and I have yet to be split up for the person Im traveling with. I book the flight and they are always seated next to me when I check-in online.

Luggage can be dicey. When I travel with my gf, we split a checked bag and each pay for half. If youre a single woman, probably not as easy. If you are only traveling for a few days, a book bag might suffice. As I write this, I have my travel backpack sitting behind me as I leave for Vegas tomorrow, Saturday and come back Wednesday. No seat picked, no bag paid for, $82 RT flight, non-stop.

I should shut the fuck up because none of this is probably as useful t oyou as it is me. Honestly, take the most affordable flight with the best time. In the end, you are all landing in Vegas.

BTW, even though SW has free bags, its always about 3x-4x more then any other carrier when I travel. My ass, feet, and legs dont know the difference---only my pocketbook.

• Like Like x 1
  16. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my " go to " airline for Vegas

Paid about $250 for my next trip to Vegas from Chicago
    Seat assignment...check
    the " stretch seat"...check
    checked bag....check
    carry-on....check
    fully refundable....check
    geez Frontier sucks :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    eeehghadds!! This is me. It’s the challenge and successful maneuvering through the channels. I’ve flown for 2 cents r/t + fees & taxes.
    I have points to fly swa home and book / fly 4 hours later or cancel.

• Love Love x 1
  18. RTCraft

RTCraft Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am taking a one way from RDU next month. First time ever. Paid for a carry on and stretch seat on the exit row and it still came in at $75 less than any other non stop flight that particular day.

I’ve flown spirit twice and swore to myself I couldn’t make it on one of their planes or a similar airline planes for more than 2 hours. It was just so cramped. The extra $$$ I’m paying made all sense in the world but it is a case by case situation.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  19. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a little bit of a love/hate relationship with Frontier after 5 or 6 trips. Really, the only thing I hate about Frontier is the uncomfortable seat, especially for a flight over 3 hours. They use a thin layer of high density foam to cover the frame, there is little “give” to this padding and it might as well be a seat on a subway.

But the thing I love is that they have frequent sales and their fares, even with seat selection and luggage, typically save me hundreds compared to American, the dominant carrier in Philly. Southwest has pulled some flights from Philly and their fares are not much better than AA.

Just go through the motions of booking a flight and add the “bundle” if you think you will have a carry on or a checked bag. This will also give you the pick of any open seat, even the ones up front with extra leg room. Then compare the fare with your best one from your favored carrier.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go more with "church pew".

But I can even handle the lack of padding (as I bring my own), but I feel like I am folded at a 90 degree angle for the flight to Vegas. I am fine with supplying a non-reclining seat, but couldn't it be tilted back just a tad?

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
    • Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.