1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Traveling with a group to Vegas.

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Electroguy563, Feb 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello VMB friends,

Just thought I'd create this thread in an effort to gain ideas and insight as to how a group can travel to Vegas and enjoy themselves.

We all know that individuals have different tastes, ideas, and thoughts as to how to enjoy Vegas. We all know that this is probably the biggest issue. How do we keep everyone happy?

This is where sharing of past experiences ,will help. The reason I wanted to start this thread is because I recently got back from a group trip with my in-laws and basically it went.....ok. There were times it did not, and I'm trying to figure how to avoid this as much as possible. I know there is no 100% perfect trip but putting in extra effort, along with helpful tips from hopefully other members will get it as close as possible to a perfect trip we all would like to have.

Some of the problems I believe we had as a group are as follows: (this is after reflection after the trip)

1) We had no real itinerary. We only had a loose agreement on when, where, and how to do or see certain destination places.

2) We rented a van for 7 of us. I believe this created a "captive audience" environment that forced those of us who did not want to do something to go along with everyone else.

3) Only two of us had the knowledge and confidence to drive around the valley. The rest of us were clueless.

4) We all had different tastes as far as gambling. And some of us didn't respect that. We had degenerates, and some who would kill themselves if they lost their twenty. And one who didn't like to gamble at all. Put them all in one van and you can see why there were unhappy campers amongst us.

These were the major hurdles we encountered. I'd like to ask those of you who have traveled in a group some of the things you do and agree upon to try to keep everyone happy.

I realized that there is one thing that needed to be done if and when we ever as a group travel again. And that is we all should travel in separate cars. This way after we do our destination event together, we can all go separate ways if a certain activity doesn't appeal to some of us.

Aside from that, is there other things you folks do to make the trip better? Thank you for any advice!

2. hippo25

hippo25 Tourist

We (group of 7) just came back from a Vegas trip and had a blast. We all have different interests; some like to gamble, some like to shop, but most of us liked to eat. We each had our own time to do whatever we wanted but we met up for meals at a specific location and time. We saw a show together (Vegas, The Show) and some of us saw "O" while others who didn't go found other things to do. We also rented a van which we used to go to certain areas (i.e. downtown, outlet mall, the strip) but once there we split up to do our own thing and agreed to meet up at a certain time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've done several trips with groups to celebrate birthdays and a vow renewal. It has gone smoothly every time. We had some items that were set in stone that were agreed upon....birthday gatherings, vow renewal, some dinners, some lunches a few attractions, pool cabana days and pre-planned where and when we would meet for each. Other than that no need for everyone to be joined at the hip. We'd text if we were gathering somewhere for drinks or whatever and anyone who wanted to join would. It works perfectly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fafa2e

Fafa2e High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will agree with what others have said. I think the main thing for a successful group trip is to alow everyone to have time to themselves and have set time / date / place for the group to meet and do something as a group (i.e. dinner, drinks, shows, etc.), but typically not gambling if you have a group with gamblers and non-gamblers.

The group dynamic can get a bit tricky when you are dealing with a group of varying means. You may have some in the group that would have no problem with $100 plus per head for dinner, but others that would be uncomfortable with that amount.

My Longest Trip Ever
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've planned a good number of group getaways to Vegas, as many as 40 people. But whether a group small or large, most of the same rules apply:

Plan a few/a limited number of activities that are intended for all hands.
    Right on as you note when it comes to cars. Take care of what you need, tell the others to do the same. Make it clear you're not Uber.
    Be clear that since all attendees are functioning adults, no one is responsible for anyone else's happiness, schedule, dining, whatever.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I travel solo to Vegas, and most of my trips are meeting up with a group or groups of other people. The key is to not over plan an itinerary. You will never make everyone in the group happy. Set a few items that you know you want to do together as a group and allow people to opt in/out of the things they are/aren't interested in.

Most of our gatherings use group texts or Facebook group messaging to communicate. Someone will text "Anyone up for tacos?" or something and people will reply with "I'm in/I'm out" and people will make plans for themselves. Other times we will agree to meet somewhere at a specific time (ie, for dinner) and then have loose plans on where to go next and people can come and go as they please for the shenanigans. Typically the larger groups end up splitting up into smaller groups, depending on their interest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. fugsworth

fugsworth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Electroguy563 I don't know that item #1 was your problem-- in fact, I think it's the only way to do Vegas, group trip or otherwise. Overscheduling takes away the spontaneity and freedom, which makes it less fun in my view. Numbers 2 through 4 definitely screwed you though.

I think you basically took the right lessons away from it. Group trips work best if everyone is free to, well, break away from the group. Otherwise it's just overpriced captivity. Problem is, a lot of the inexperienced Vegas travelers that make group trips so draining also get the idea in their heads that you have to do everything together or you're a buzzkill who hates your friends. Cram a bachelor party into one suite, Hangover style? I'd rather amputate my own limb-- any of them.

EDC
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to make an effort to get more confident driving around the valley. I'll also get more adept in using Google map and go to the Dr. for a hearing loss evaluation and aid. (I have hearing loss in my right ear.) I have a hard time hearing the Google Girl while driving, lol!

That way when we (ever) travel again together I will tell them I will rent a car. I believe it's better than way.

One very disappointing experience was when we all agreed to go to Pinball Hall of Fame. I was enjoying myself so much with my wife and then I found out everyone else was in the van waiting for me and my wife. We were there less than an hour. I thought they all were fuckin rude.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's such a drag, electro. It's amazing how hard travel is on some people. Not necessarily the physical part of travel, but getting their minds around being proactive and independent.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We all live in separate houses (away from each other) for a reason....

I kept that same philosophy last month with the six of us. When they wanted to meet up...we met up.

Other than that, every man for himself....it was awesome!!!

• Like Like x 3
  11. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I meet up with a bunch of friends from all over the world every summer during the WSOP.

When I say meet up, I mean we're in town around the same time. I book my hotels/dates, and whatever everyone else does is up to them.

Most of them do 1-2weeks, so I'd say we'll meet up for a poker tournament, or dinner/drinks a few times over the time they're there, and then I have two weeks of solo bliss at the end.

We set a whatsapp group chat up, and that way nobody is committed to anything without arrangement, and you can just put the group on mute if you're not wanting to get involved in anything at that time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Marilynfan

Marilynfan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for this thread. I have a group of 18 coming in June for a vow renewal and have been struggling with how much stuff I should be planning as the resident Vegas expert. I've set a couple of events (get together n our room with pizza and a cabana day) and the rest of the time people can do whatever they want.

However, I'm struggling a bit with whether to plan any group meals. It appears that everyone wants to spend as little as possible - I say this because while we are staying at Cosmo - the majority of the group booked Jockey Club because it is cheap and they can make meals in their rooms. Not my idea of a vacation but whatever floats your boat.

The group is not a split evenly kind of crowd as some people will order cheap on purpose and would not be happy to subsidize someone else's meal so I have no idea how I'd even do a group meal at a restaurant since I doubt any place is going to do separate checks for 9 couples, right? I thought of a buffet but honestly any of the good ones are probably more than some people want to spend once you add some drinks.

13. Chairman Meow

Chairman Meow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    100% this - I always insist on having enough physical separation when travelling as a group!

14. andyg99

andyg99 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The more you know your group the better - I think all of us here (we are Vegas nuts, right?) are automatically labeled "The Vegas Guy/Gal" and some in a group might think that makes us the tour guide. Try to make it clear in your best way ahead of time that you'll be happy to give tips and recommendations but will most likely not be doing everything with them...

Vegas Trip #57
    Vegas Trip #58, Sammy Hagar
  15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your wariness about meal time is well placed. You just need to leave that freeform. You can plan to "downscale" and join some at some time, but stand your ground for when you (and any others) don't want to slum it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This.

I've traveled with several friends annually for decades now. We are are tight as can be. But the math came down long ago of 1 guy = 1 room = 1 bathroom, then multiply.

17. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would have left them waiting. You are right.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  18. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I/we/friends have been doing that about twice a year for some 17+ years... we are all on different message board, though
    there are some that are part of VMB.

we set dates, a list of attendees, and a few gatherings/events....
    but we all understand that we are in Vega$ and sometimes things happen .ie: on a heater, a DND, or whatever.
    before cell phones, we all had an understanding about that if someone didn't show for a meal, etc.
    With the advent of smartphones, it's easy to call or text that you won't be there, or be there late...

good luck because sometimes it can be like hearding cats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think this is exactly the way to do it. I've done quite a few group trips -- a couple weddings, a few bachelor parties, quite a few meetups. The trick is to really prioritize what you want everyone to be there for, and also make sure that everyone is very well aware that you're gonna lose people along the way or at specific events. I once came for a bachelor party where the whole group met for a lunch but the groom was too hungover to show up. I was completely nonplussed, but a couple people were offended. Vegas itineraries tend to fall apart, so the best way to look at it is a trip you're taking with your friends to the same place at the same time, and you'll meet up, but it's not the end of the world if people drop out.

I'd also recommend avoiding too many things that require reservations, a deposit, or some other kind of firm commitment. I'd definitely plan on a few concrete group events, but otherwise you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

• Like Like x 2
  20. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I'm missing something. Maybe I'm just not processing what I'm reading properly tonight?
    @Electroguy563 , I thought when in a group it's majority rules. If everyone is ready to leave in less than an hour except you and your wife, why is it rude for them to vote with their feet and fill up the van? Is the point being that they should have come up to you and told you they'd had enough? Not trying to be confrontational, I honestly just don't see how they were rude.
    @Marilynfan , I thought that when you invite people to a destination wedding (or renewal of vows) you are responsible for meals surrounding the event. Just because the destination is your ideal place doesn't mean it is so for the guests. They're there for you. On their own they might not be willing to spend a day, or a penny, in LV but are doing so for you. If you're planning a group meal around your event, should you be covering the check? Again, I'm not trying to be confrontational, I honestly just don't understand the planning.

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.