1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Okay, my turn. Colonoscopy

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by makikiboy, Feb 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Courtney pretty much nailed it.

I also used the liquid Magnesium Nitrate, and had to drink 3 before the procedure, not sure if its any different with the pills. Get a good book, or download a new game for your phone. There's going to be a lot of toilet time, and it's pure liquid. At the height after taking the drink, I was probably on the toilet every 30-45 minutes for a few hours. Oh, there's the abdominal cramping, too. That was fun. There's no "hmmm, do I need to go to head to the john?" You'll know with absolute certainty that it's time.

Once at the doc's office, the very nice receptionist informed me where the bathroom was, which was a great relief after the 20 minute drive. In the exam room, it was lie on your left side and pull up your knees into the fetal position. Then the drugs: I was not completely knocked out, so there were a couple of uncomfortable moments, but was drugged up enough that it wasn't painful at all, just a weird sense of pressure. I was in and out during the procedure, but since I was facing the screen during this, did get a new perspective on my body.

Afterwards, they won't dismiss you from the office until you fart. Nobody had told me that, so I was holding in the gas because of manners, until the nurse asked if I had farted, and why. After that, I let 'er rip and was let go. My very considerate daughter had gotten me a bagel sandwich from Dunkin', but wasn't risking that in the car since the Nitrate was still at work. Took about half a day before that wore off.

One last note that may be useful: there will be some soreness from the constant bathroom usage as well as the procedure. The wife knew a useful trick (I've never asked how or why she knew this, and figured I shouldn't ask): soak a paper towel in witch hazel, and apply to the area for a bit. Basically just kept the towel in position in my skivvies for about 20 minutes and the soreness went away completely. That trick really saved my ass :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Colonoscopies are awful by any standard. I just completed a Cologuard test last week and came out negative-doc let me skip next periodic recommended colonoscopy. Thank God. Thanks, Doc. Thanks, Cologuard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. zignerlv

zignerlv VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot of you are mentioning the large quantity of liquid needed in the prep as a big negative. That isn't necessary. There are some low volume preps available. The one I used last year, Prepopik, is discontinued, but there is a follow-on premixed version, and there are other varieties as well. Prepopik for me had an almost pleasant taste, caused no pain, no cramps, and no violent bowel movements. Another family member used this prep about 4 times, after having used the gallon type prep in earlier experiences, so it was highly recommended by an experienced patient. Just 5 oz, mixed, once the late afternoon before, and once 5 hours before the procedure. Each followed up with 4-5 8oz cups of plain water. Unlike other preps, there was a higher out of pocket cost, about $25 after benefits, but it was well worth it. Not getting enough sleep the night before the procedure was the biggest negative of the experience.

Not necessarily looking forward to having another one in the future, but it turned out it was a much better experience than I expected, in part due to this prep.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mother died of colon cancer at age 41. I've had to get colonoscopies every 3 years since I was 30 (30 years ago). Never had a bad experience except drinking that God-awful gallon of vanilla, ginger or whatever flavor prep liquid was forced on me the day before. A couple of times I was given pills and a small bottle of powder to mix in a glass of water. That was SOOO much easier but I find GI physicians seem to like giving the gallon of puke instead.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Among medical procedures, colonoscopy is one of the easiest. You lie on your side, not your back, because the doctor needs to have access. Once it is over, try not to refill your gut with the junk that was in there before the procedure. I enjoy an In-N-Out burger- maybe once every 3 months.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to be picky here, but magnesium citrate (Citronesia) is by far not the most common drug for colonoscopy prep. Some docs will use it, but it's not often the prep of choice.

What's still most often used goes under the brand name of Golitely, or its siblings Nulitely and Halflitely, and is mostly polyethelyene glycol. Some claim that this is actually the same compound as anti-freeze, which it is not. It's used in all kinds of commercial products, such as (in much smaller quantities) toothpaste and "personal" lubricants. In a large quantity it makes the gut fill with water, thus flushing everything in it out.

There are some newer drugs for prep which are (supposedly) more pleasant, but docs seem to prefer the "litely" family.

7. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know what all the fuss is about. The prep is the worst part, and even that isn't too bad.

I have colonoscopies regularly (four last year) and rarely have any sedation. I have never been knocked out for one.

• Wow! Wow! x 4
  8. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Commando!!!

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
    • Funny Funny x 3
  9. checkchange

checkchange Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats on getting it done. I've had several.

When you show up for the procedure you have already done the hard part which ain't too bad. Then lie on side and night night and poof it's over you feel great

10. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hope it all comes out in the end!

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be careful when your procedure is over and you start eating again. Start slowly.

Don't be like me. Your stomach is completely empty and what I did was scarf down some Chinese food like there was no tomorrow.

My stomach felt like it collapsed around the invading Chinese morsels and I keeled over in pain as my stomach knotted like a towel going through the old fashioned wringer.

12. Tony Y

Tony Y Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had mine done for the first as a soon to be 62 year old man. And a good thing as well. Doc removed 11 polyps ( non cancerous) so bear the preparation it could save your life

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. rooster42000

rooster42000 Goat of all Goats , My Hero

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How was the colonoscopy.???

14. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He's in Hawaii. He's still got a few hours to be hungry and sit on the potty. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only difference, really?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Think about it...

17. 3544quebec

3544quebec High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only if your insurance covers the peppermint flavoured scope (starts humming Ring of Fire)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Hard6n8

Hard6n8 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wait......How is it supposed to come out?

:blink:

19. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got back from my colonoscopy about an hour and a half ago. It was pretty quick and painless. Procedure took less than half an hour. They found 6 polyps and removed them. Most were small but 1 was kind of big, 12 mm but benign in appearance. And yes, I am farting like crazy.

As everyone mentioned, the prep is the worst thing about the procedure. At 6 am I started drinking from the big jug. They said to drink half of the jug but to continue taking more if I don't have any bowel movements. Well drank half of the jug and....nothing. I had a regular bowel movement but the rest came in small spurts (lol). I drank more from the jug and finally I got more spurts. I continued to drink the rest of the jug but before I got to the end I had to puke. It seemed like at least a quarter of the jug probably came back out. Not sure if I drank it too fast or if I got sick from the concoction. I tried to drink the rest of the jug but again puked as the thing made me nauseous.

The next couple of hours I am running back and forth from my couch and the bathroom. I finally just took my newspaper and sat on the throne for half an hour. It seemed like I just go and when I get up I have to go back down to release some more. Too bad, it only came out in spurts, I had hoped it would be a big "run" to clean me out but that wasn't the case.

Get to the place and they prepped me. Laid me on my side and I was out like a light. Next thing about 40 minutes from when I laid on my side, the nurse asked how I was and if I was ready to leave the place. I felt fine and got my stuff and was out the door. Not bad, I had 3 other operations (meniscus twice and ACL replacement) that put me out and I was sick and nauseous for all 3 after the operation. This time no problems, kudos to the anesthesiologist.

The timing was pretty perfect for me. I got to get a good night's sleep and start the prep early in the morning. Then off to the dr's office at 11:30, surgery at 12:30 and out the door by 1:15. Not like the stories I heard about people sitting on the john all night prior to the procedure.

Too bad, Hawaii doesn't have an in n out so can't have that one. Actually since I puked so much I wasn't in the mood to eat and definitely wasn't hungry. I just put the water in a cup of instant saimin (cup noodle) and will have that (3 pm now). Will probably eat a smaller dinner at 6 or 7 pm.

But no, after all the puking I wish that I didn't have to do this thing ever again. Just thinking about the smell from the solution is making my stomach turn. They gave me something like crystal light lemon to mask the taste of the prep but I still didn't like the solution.

• Like Like x 3
  20. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The big jug is the worst...
    nurses my wife worked with got me two small bottles of stuff... you mixed one with Sprite or ginger ale,drank it and then the other an hour later... they called it a colontini.... just don't be more than a few steps away from the throne....
    i kept thinking of George Carlin.... you got the fizz, the fazz,the fizz-fazz, the rip-shit ,and the big one that goes WHOOSH.:kill:

• Funny Funny x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.