1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Passport Renewal

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by smerrian, Feb 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just renewed my US passport. $110 and it took 2 weeks from mailing the request form (picked up at the post office) to getting the new one back. I had the pics taken at AAA for $8. Just some information for those nearing renewal.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
  2. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, mine got back just as quick. I had my pics done at Costco, but forgot what they charged?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I have quite a few years left on my current one but this is a good reminder that I should make sure. Thanks.

4. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good information thanks.

For those who need to renew your Global Entry be prepared for a long wait. Mine expires this September (2020) and I submitted the renewal in November. I am still awaiting conditional approval. Due to the long waits they are extending your expiration out a year. You can renew a year in advance you should keep this date in mind as well as the passport renewal times.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to know on the passport. I think mine needs to be renewed toward the end of the year. Had my last photo done at Walgreens and just took the application to the post office.

6. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only thing I can add to be helpful....

My passport was long-expired. I had to go to a post office to renew, some of the new passport rules apply if expired. And I found that different local suburban branches have different customer service policies. Some give reservations, some only first-come-first-served. I walked away from long lines where I live, and went to an adjacent small suburb PO and it was a breeze.

7. tfcoach72

tfcoach72 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear you are experiencing this. I did my renewal online and received it in no time. I’m just upset I did it early, Delta Amex (platinum) will reimburse with new card renewal. This is a new benefit since they’ve hiked their yearly fee. Lost $100 being early.

Just a getaway! On the Gulf Coast—
  8. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I renewed my passport a little over a year ago. I had my mugshot taken at Walgreens, since I was able to use my rewards points to cover part of the charge, then sent in the renewal app via registered snail mail. Turnaround time was pretty good, considering that you're dealing with a government agency. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  9. steveks225

steveks225 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my area, the county library does passport services, albeit for a nominal charge, so those who dread going to the post office or aren't AAA members, see if your library offers doing passports.

10. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m planning a business trip to Canada and your post made me check my passport. It expires next month!

A big THANK YOU for the community service announcement!

• Like Like x 3
  11. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mine was expired but i never had to step foot into a post office when I renewed last year. Everything is online. Fill it out on the computer and print it with the info already on it. Was super easy.

12. julia

julia VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was once driving to Canada and realized at the border that my passport was about to expire. They let me in, and the U.S. let me back in. I sent it in for renewal the next day!

Just sent in mine and those of two of my kids for renewal. Kid #2 is finally at the age where hers will last 10 years. Kid #3 has a looong way to go before that.

13. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is lucky as some countries, will not let you in if you are set to expire in a period as long as 6 months away as their visas run longer than that.

• Like Like x 1
  14. wesraft

wesraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, mine was surprisingly quick and easy. Got it in a couple of weeks.

15. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    CNN is reporting that new passports are only being issued, at this time, on a 'Life or death' situation basis.

The US is not issuing new passports unless it's a 'life-or-death' family emergency
    Faith Karimi, CNN • Updated 3rd April 2020

(CNN) — The US has stopped issuing new passports, unless in a "life-or-death emergency,'' in an effort to help stop the spread of coronavirus.

In a statement on its website, the State Department asked Americans to avoid international travel at this time due to the impact of coronavirus. In line with that, it said, it will only offer passports to customers with a qualified emergency.

Examples of emergencies include travel due to serious illnesses, injuries or deaths in the immediate family, it said. Applicants must require travel outside the US within three days, and will have to submit "proof of the life-or-death emergency such as a death certificate, a statement from a mortuary or a signed letter from a hospital or medical professional."
    Applications received on or before March 19 will get processed, the agency said.
    Individuals needing to renew their passports for future international travel can proceed as usual without the usual option for expedited service (at an additional $60), according to the State Department's website.

Moderator note: Edited for copyright

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone planning to travel the rest of this year and needs a new passport is gonna have a problem. This is basically the same as a shutdown and the pent up demand when they reopen is going to delay things big time.

Good news for renewals though (until they change the rules again - LOL)

Applications received on or before March 19 will get processed, the agency said.
    Individuals needing to renew their passports for future international travel can proceed as usual without the usual option for expedited service

17. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not that I am going out of the country...but glad I renewed mine last fall!

Now, my TsaPre, is due up for renewal.

18. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Note that as long as your passport expired less than 5 years ago, you can renew by mail without having to apply for a new passport in person.

• Informative Informative x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.