1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MyVegas Maverick Helicopter Reward

Discussion in 'MyVegas' started by WheatThins, Feb 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheatThins

WheatThins Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At the risk of sounding cheap, I'm going to ask this question. Do the shuttle drivers (that pick you up from your hotel and take you to the airport) and/or the pilots of the helicopters expect a gratuity from passengers? If so, and you are using the MyVegas reward to get the 15-minute night time flight over the strip completely free, what is the retail value and percentage that you would tip? (It appears it is $105.00 on their website.)

Their website also describes "complimentary limousine coach transfer to and from hotels within 5 miles of the Strip." Is that the shuttle that I've read about on here, from people that describe their experience with redeeming the reward? Or do they just give paid passengers an actual limousine, and myVegas comp users a bus shuttle and not an actual limousine?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  2. DN86

DN86 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it depends on the driver/ pilot whether they expect a gratuity or not. I've redeemed this reward 3 times.
    I've had drivers that open the door when they stand outside at the door but also drivers that remained seated behind the wheel and just push a button to open the door. I guess the drivers that stand at the door might be expecting gratuity. If the driver remains behind the wheel it is not even possible to tip him/her.
    I've had a pilot opening and holding the door to enter the building after the flight and shake hands of all the passengers and I' ve had 2 pilots that did not do this.
    Most people don't tip is my experience.

The shuttle is the same for paying and comp passengers.

3. Veratio

Veratio Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would love to do this reward, but I am very scared of hights. The girlfriend has no problem.

I might have to work up the nerve!!

4. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you been able to choose your seat? I am a photographer and the only way I would want to use my points on this would be if I could choose my seat and be in a spot to get those awesome Vegas from the air shots. (like the front seat glass would provide)

5. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If youve never done Mavericks.....
    Based on my one Mavericks Grand Canyon Trip.....
    If you have a car, drive to their terminal, skip the shuttle.
    1. The trip duration quoted includes shuttle time. I was at Wynn - first to pickup, last to dropoff. The operator explained to me that the 5-hour Grand Canyon trip was 2.25 hours in helicopter.... rest was shuttle and terminal.
    2. Once at the terminal, theres nothing to do other than snack bar and gift shop. Although every review of the actual flights Ive seen are excellent, comments about long terminal wait times are common.
    I left my hotel 45-50 minutes later than their shuttle pickup time and still arrived 25-30 minutes before my flight. And I was on my way back to the Strip while others were still boarding shuttles.

The terminal is by the famous Las Vegas sign on LV Blvd. Its walkable from Mandalay Bay.

The trip itself was great. I used the MyVegas reward for the picture. For Grand Canyon, the trip discount doesn't apply to early morning trips, because theyre already discounted to general public. And I wanted a morning flight.... I know that's off-topic for night-flight.

I had cash out to tip the pilot, as did fellow passengers. I guess we should have tipped while still in copter.... he walked away after before we could tip.

I dont think I'd tip a shuttle driver unless s/he helped me with kids, load passengers, bags or camera equipment, etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. ReTriggerMe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My trip, and others' comments online.... they rotate seats at every stop. Views excellent from every seat. I dont know how they assign seats for short flights.

If I remember correctly, there are 3 seats in front + pilot and four seats in back. Back is elevated.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. WheatThins

WheatThins Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    According to the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) section on Mavericks own website, seat assignments are chosen by a computer. It is based on the weight of each passenger, to make the weight distribution equal in the helicopters for flight safety. So now I am wondering if you go with your spouse or friend, you may end up not sitting next to them?

On the gratuity topic, I looked at TripAdvisor and saw a question posted about whether you should tip or not (January 2018). There were responses from people that said they tipped $50! Yes, $50! The whole point of the comp is that it's FREE. Grant it, I don't know if they were talking about the Vegas strip 15-minute flight, or the more expensive Grand canyon flight. And some of these people that said they left tips, appear to be from overseas, where tipping etiquette and expectations are different.

Thanks for the information on how the shuttle drivers and pilots open the door or not open the doors for you. I guess as long as they are not standing there with their hand held out (like a valet driver would), one could easily just keep on walking without tipping and just say "thank you". :wave:

Thanks also for the tip on the shuttle pick up times. I'll be staying at the Venetian, but from what you said, I think I'll just drive over to Mandalay Bay and just walk over to the terminal to avoid the wait times. (I hate wasting time sitting on a shuttle, especially if I am going to be one of the last stops.)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ReTriggerMe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If youre doing that, just drive to the Mavericks terminal. Its free parking.

While MB is close by Las Vegas walking standards, its still a bit of a hike. By "walkable" I didnt mean to imply a quick stroll.

9. DN86

DN86 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last time there was a group of 3 lady's that got split up so yeah it it possible.

10. LindaP

LindaP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been on the Maverick night flight several times. We took the shuttle each time. Once, they picked me up early and drove me directly to the Maverick terminal and I got on an earlier flight - no wait time at all. The other 2 times we were picked up first and had to go to a few more hotels to pick up other passengers and then still have a half-hour wait at the terminal. The champagne is free at the terminal and they don't limit you to one glass either!!! I tipped the shuttle driver $1 each way. It's a very nice shuttle bus. I tipped the pilot $5 each time. I'd say about half the people tipped the pilot. Didn't see anyone tip the drivers. It's a really great experience. I prefer taking the shuttle simply because I like having a few glasses of champagne! But it can be a waste of time. If you can get in the front seat - its the best!!!!

- Linda in TX

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  11. monkey

monkey Low-Roller

Yes, they can seat you separately - I got seated in the front right, hubby was seated on the left side behind the pilot...we were as far as possible from each other. Lol. No complaints; it was free :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.