1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Found money when preparing to travel

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by duffer1991, Feb 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duffer1991

duffer1991 Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just packed for my upcoming 48-hour trip to Las Vegas. I look forward to playing craps with @cjcjcj and @whitefox and any other VMB members who spot my toxic waste-colored writsband ;)

It led me to something I have not really seen here before: A few years ago, I was packing for a trip to Asia with my ex (insert @EastCoastVegasFan! comment here). When I got my passport from my safe, I realized I had put $1,500.00 in there after a trip to Las Vegas. I had forgotten about it and was thrilled at the windfall.

I am the type who is thrilled to find a $20 bill in an old sportcoat or my golf bag. What is the biggest "Wow, I forgot about that cash" moment you have had?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    • Love Love x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Courtney

Courtney Resident polygamist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got married in 2000. I lived with my parents until the night of my wedding. A few days later, they brought a manilla envelope of my “life papers” over (My certified birth certificate, my original social security card, etc.) My Husband put it in our safe.

Fast forward to 2015, we planned a trip to Jamaica, and I needed a passport. I needed a certified copy of my birth certificate, so my Husband got the envelope out. He found an envelope in the envelope, which had savings bonds I was given AT BIRTH. ( Now FORTY years later.)

$5800!

• Wow! Wow! x 12
    • Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 3
  3. duffer1991

duffer1991 Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And BOOM goes the dynamite!!

4. Courtney

Courtney Resident polygamist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was pretty fantastic. I didn’t spend it in Vegas, though. I put it all in our kids’ investment accounts.

I mean, I’m sure I spent the equivalent in Vegas, but not THOSE particular bills.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Maine Farmer

Maine Farmer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The first time I won so many hundreds I couldn't fold my wallet. But I also found out how many green chips it takes to fill the racks at the table.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was packing to fly out seven years ago and found around $200 in an envelope in my carry-on. My bankroll was a lot smaller back then, so I was pretty thrilled. That extra $200 helped me dig out of a hole on the last day and that was the first time I ever came home from Vegas even.

• Like Like x 3
  7. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats to all who have found money. I applaud you.

I'm thrilled to find two quarters in the couch cushions. LMAO

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 4
  8. duffer1991

duffer1991 Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am usually happy with found change too, so you can imagine how happy I was to find a stack of hundreds.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I save all of my change for Vegas trips. Especially quarters. They do add up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. news423

news423 No Respect

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great thread!

The most ‘found money’ my way came a few years ago when I received an unexpected $150 check in the mail. It was legit; apparently had overpaid a medical bill and the doctor’s office just got around to sending me the difference.

• Like Like x 4
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  11. nancyf

nancyf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not that good with balancing my checkbook - one time, I was closing out an account and thought I had like $4. in it - turns out I had $1004... so that was found money to me ...

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Funkyboer

Funkyboer Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I forgot about a $7000 check that I put in my car, 3 months later they called me and asked if I was going to cash it. I totally forgot about it.

• Wow! Wow! x 8
  13. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One year I went to the bank to turn in my change the machine stopped a couple of times which I did not think about it too much. when the teller came back to give me the money she handed me two black chips that were in the jar. I must have dumped them into the change bag at the end of a night the previous year and just dumped the whole bag into the change jar when we got back.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  14. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been lucky to have this problem twice. Once on a trip we took in December where I grabbed a jacket that I last used the previous December and found over $400 bucks and my Total Rewards players card. The second time was last May when I went to pack my wife’s iPad mini which she only uses to watch tv on the plane and I found a bank envelope with $2000 in the pocket of the case it was in.

Mark

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  15. duffer1991

duffer1991 Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you did not miss $7,000.00, then we need to hit the craps table together!!

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Although we're pretty comfortable now, I guess I clearly remember being broke. I never forget a check. :haha:

Other than the odd $20 found in a pocket, I guess the closest I got was opening up the safe to grab my bankroll for December and seeing I forgot to deposit my $2K handpay from July into the bank. I just stuffed it all into the safe at home. Oopsie!

• Like Like x 8
  17. wesraft

wesraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I found a $100 bill two separate times hiking around a ski area in the summer. A friend found a one ounce Krugerrand (gold coin) underneath a chairlift. What the heck was somebody doing skiing around with an ounce of gold in their pocket?

• Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. FABismonte

FABismonte Tell my wife I am "about even."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's great. I bought savings bonds when my kids were born but savings bonds now are not a thing.

Downside is at some point (I believe 30 years) Series EE bonds stop earning interest so good thing you found them as they probably stopped earning when you hit 30.

BTW, I remember the scene in the movie "Risky Business" when Tom Cruise used his savings bonds from his grandparents for an activity one thinks of in Vegas.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since the advent of widespread use of debit cards, I usually deposit most of what I come back with. Yes I come back with money because I don't gamble a lot. Back in the day I used travelers checks and deposited what I came back with. While organizing a trip, I came across a TC cover from another trip figured I might as well reuse it. I picked it up and felt something inside. I was elated to find eight $100 TCs inside. It immediately clicked that after a trip about a year before, I thought I'd done better than my money showed and I guess I was right!Nothing like found money!

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Funkyboer

Funkyboer Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.