1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Has your buy in amount/session loss limit/trip bankroll changed over time?

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by hail2skins, Feb 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hail2skins

hail2skins VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ask the question mainly for table game players, but its probably applicable for slot players as well. I'm a low-rolling table game player who tries to find $5 minimum tables (normally blackjack or craps) if possible, but will play a $10 minimum if necessary. My default initial buy-in has pretty much always been $200 for a while (regardless of whether its a $5 or $10). My session limit I would put at $400. And overall, for a 3-day trip, I tend to allocate $1000-1500 for gambling. I've never come close to losing that amount...….one time I was down $900 for the trip before recovering a bit the last night to be down $600. Conversely, the most I've ever won overall on a trip has been $600 (sounds exciting huh?).

Anyway, was more curious about whether folks' buy-in amount, session limit, and trip bankrolls have changed much over time.

2. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. Imaginos

Imaginos Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm pretty much just like you though my buy-ins with craps started at $100. I jumped from there to $300 once I got more comfortable with the game and have been at $300 ever since. I also normally play $5. I'll occasionally buy in for $300 on a $10 table, but I usually don't last long enough to be all that enjoyable. My upcoming trip I'm gonna try a $500 buy-in on a $10 table and see how that goes. I usually just play pass line and inside place bets with the occasional hard 6/8.

4. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. rallen

rallen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Outside of flight and hotel cost, my trip budget has remained the same, but my expenditure has gone down. I play low-limit cash game poker a lot more than I used to, and the promotions in the poker rooms are more lucrative, which keeps costs low. I play bubble craps now instead of table craps, and get my craps fun at lower cost.
    My benchmark spend on gambling, food, drink, tips and transport is $150 per day; my average spend during my 2019 Vegas trips was $54.45 per day.

6. WichitaMuskie

WichitaMuskie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My trip bankroll has probably expanded by 20X since my first trip, but the first time I went to Vegas I was a college student (so the beginning bankroll was quite low!), and now I have been a practicing attorney for 17 years. So things is just different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It greatly depends upon what you're playing. If you're playing $5 blackjack, losing $1,500 takes awhile. If you're playing $10 craps, taking 3x-5x odds, placing numbers, etc....you could easily burn through $1,500 in a day.

My limits have evolved, but partly because I don't spend as much time in Vegas. And my limits/betting probably are a bit random by game. I play VP for quarters and pai gow for $10-15. I pretty much only play 21 for quarters, though. And I like to get to a $5 craps table if I can because I play odds heavy and like to press place bets.

8. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to only be able to budget like $50 a day when I first started going, then a few trips it was $500 and $600 a day. The last few trips I have been down to around $100 a day, mainly because they are so tight with the alcohol now and they increased the fees on everything. You want me to play and spend more, get something in me and stop with the parking and resort fee bullshit. Otherwise I'm just going to sightsee and take pictures and shop with my gambling money. Feels a lot better coming home knowing you only lost $175 or so rather than the couple grand you took with you.

9. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, to all the above. Probably increased 20x since I started going in the early 90's.

10. alexm

alexm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, Yes, and Yes.

I am predominantly a video poker player and my buy in is and was a 100 dollar bill and while that is my session limit (lose and take a breather) I have increased the number of "sessions (bills)" I have for a day. My trip bankroll has increased around 50% and amazingly most of that increase came because I progressed to Caesars Diamond. Now my food budget has been added to bankroll since my wife loves the diamond lounge. We have 1 meal a trip sometimes 2 and RC, Celebration, and host almost always covers it.

What has alaso increased dramatically is how much time i spend playing.

11. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. When I first started gambling 40+ years ago, it was $300 per trip, it has since gone up.

12. blissfulignoramus

blissfulignoramus 3:2, nothing else will do

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure, it changes, due to inflation, changes in table minimums, and my income. Like a lot of others, I’ve gone from having maybe $75 I’m willing to lose the whole trip, to now much more than that. However, going once a year I see that I win some and I lose some Over time, probably averaging a few hundred in losses per trip? In that sense it’s been very steady for a decade or more.

My standard blackjack MO is to buy in at $200, and base bet $20 per hand, playing until I either lose the whole thing, or walk away the first time I lose a hand and I’m still up at least $100. Depending on how I do and how long the sessions take, I’ll do probably 6-12 of these sessions
    in a 3 day trip. This has not changed in 10+ years, and probably won’t until I can’t find decent rules with a minimum that will accommodate me — right now it’s not a problem.

13. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure. But I've been going for 25 years now and the cost of everything and my income has gone up. We have done short trips with less than $200 bankroll for the two of us. I can't imagine that being my daily solo budget now.

14. MCann

MCann I can't complain, but sometimes I still do...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hoo boy, yes!

15. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My early trips (in the 80s), my bankroll was $300 to $500 per trip. $5 blackjack & craps. Session bankroll was always $100.
    In the 90s, the trip-bankroll doubled to about $1000, but I still stuck with $5 tables, but would frequently advance to $25 blackjack as the trip went along.
    In the early 2000s, the bankroll was about $1500 per trip, and I started playing 3-card poker as well...$5 tables. My blackjack base-bet was now $10 instead of $5. Session bankrolls became $200.
    These days, I budget $700-$800 a day, and will go as high as $300 per session (that's what happens when you add UTH to the games you play!).

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.