1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

You have 4 hours downtown, with a Vegas virgin...

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by CaptCampion, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FABismonte

FABismonte Tell my wife I am "about even."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If one actually goes to El Cortez, you should walk another block or two and visit the Container Park mall at night to see the fire breathing mantis at its entrance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Reverb

Reverb Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is this person a gambling virgin as well as a Vegas virgin? If the answer is yes, then skip all the eating, bar drinking and sightseeing and get them hooked on gambling ASAP. Namely head straight to ElCo and play about an hour of $5 craps, an hour of $5 single deck blackjack, an hour of video poker, and an hour of some slot machine that they think looks interesting. One of those four will get them hooked and then you're good to go forever more. If this is a significant other, think how great it will be on future trips that they're more anxious to hit the tables than you are.

• Love Love x 1
  3. tigers4life

tigers4life Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about start at plaza at night just walk up freemont with a drink enjoy light show and street acts as you pass. If you want to cap it. Get a classy drink at Oscar's bar check out view end at el Cortez with co[n drip and 3:2

4. CaptCampion

CaptCampion VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It would take a while and a lot of explanation to bring everyone up to speed on our relationship (which goes back to high school) and the circumstances that brought us to be in Vegas at the same time.

The important part is, we're both happily married to other people. There's NO romantic agenda here. For the purposes of this trip (convention) she's just a work colleague of sorts.

But, she's never been to Vegas. So I'm just trying to give her as much of the experience as I can, while not angling for anything. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Depdawg227

Depdawg227 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

100 percent totally agree, start just before sundown and go with the flow

6. CaptCampion

CaptCampion VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is the picture at Binion's free? Just curious. It wouldn't dissuade me from doing it if it was.

I think we'll be able to stick around Fremont until 7 or so, so should be able to catch at least one of the light shows. Before that we'll just eat and drink and gamble.

7. FABismonte

FABismonte Tell my wife I am "about even."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The photo is free but since I get multiple photos so that each of the group gets one, I tip the photographer a few bucks. Given how appreciative she is, my guess is few tip. BTW, the 7 by 9 (ish) photo comes in a nice cardboard folder so is somewhat commemorative.

8. rccinatl

rccinatl Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If your four hour window is after 11PM and you are hungry, I suggest visiting the Market Street Cafe at the Cal for the Oxtail soup. It's the best meal downtown IMHO. (especially if it's cold outside)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. palellama

palellama Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just note that at least last time I went, Oak & Ivy was exclusively American whiskeys. Le Thai has an interesting selection of whiskies. Not broad, but they did a good job of covering the spectrum of styles. I also really like their cocktails (and food).

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. CaptCampion

CaptCampion VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excellent, thank you for that. I think I'm ok with good American whiskeys, but now Le Thai has another thing to recommend it.

11. AyDee

AyDee is getting too old for this

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please keep us posted (TR on how it goes?), our next two trips have a few relatively Vegas Virgins along, and I like the latest framework..
    Planning to do stuff new to us like MSS billiard room, Binion million $ pic, etc..
    It's going to be hard to not do the usual degen gamble every hour, but I'm looking forwards to seeing our usual through fresh eyes, my BR will probably thank me.

I think our DT first night stretch itinerary so far is : Rooms at Cal, maybe DTG out, (great idea to try to hit sunset FSE), dinner Le Thai, hit elco, work our way back via D, (?Freemont/4q/Plaza?), GG, MSS BHB if its not over...

Day 2 we implement "rags to riches" and run them to a cosmo room which is the perfect counterpoint to the elco start.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  12. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Easy. I'm walking down to the end of Freemont and getting on the bus and heading to the strip.

13. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OMG There was a group of us that stayed at the Excalibur once and we found the derby one night. A quarter a race and we were all winning. We all gave the drink girl our winnings and she supplied enough alcohol to cater a wedding over the 2-3 days we were at it. I thought my favorite game was Haywire, but this one will always be my #1 game.

14. kingpasty

kingpasty High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't forget Bar Prohibition @ Golden Gate. I would also see if you can grab a bar at King's Bar in 4Q - the best seat on Fremont for some people watching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. LoveDowntownVegas

LoveDowntownVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I might pass on Oak and Ivy and goto the Mob Museum speak easy for the cocktail.
    My first thought was the pic with 1million dollars.
    Golden Gate walkthrough - check out where it all began and grab a Bar Prohibition cocktail.
    Piss on the berlin wall at MSS.

16. Funkyboer

Funkyboer Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have not seen the newly renovated LED light display on Freemont street, excited to see that and go to Whiskey Licker Up at Binion's

17. CaptCampion

CaptCampion VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmmmm hadn't heard of this. I'll check it out

18. CaptCampion

CaptCampion VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The other 2 full days will be on the strip. I'VE done everything on the strip I need to, just trying to give this person the best overview possible of Vegas and I think we can cover what we need to downtown in 4-5 hours

19. Zapper

Zapper Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Santos Tacos- 612 E Carson
    Frankie's Tiki Room-1712 W Charleston Blvd

20. CaptCampion

CaptCampion VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL

Well, I'll include this in a brief trip report when I get around to that.

But basically I had a great plan for downtown. Got to the hotel right on time. Grabbed a bottle of Pendleton from downstairs and headed up to the room with my two friends. Finished the bottle. Never made it out of the hotel that night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.