1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone familiar with Delta Comfort+ vs First Class?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Mr. Brownestone, Jan 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Brownestone

Mr. Brownestone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tend to act first and think things through later so I'm gonna ask here before I book this flight. I was booking with Delta Comfort+ seats and I understand you can upgrade at the gate (based on availability) to First Class. Has anyone done that and do you remember what it cost?

I'm really curious because I was under the impression you got at least one free checked bag with Comfort+, you do not. Also, while purchasing the Comfort+ seats on Delta's site they let try to upsell you to First Class for $90 each passenger (one way flight).

Considering bags are $30 each for the first one per passenger with Comfort+ and free with First Class that really puts the upgrade to $60/person. Considering my wife will likely need two bags that second bag is $40 with Comfort+ and still free with First Class. My total to upgrade during the initial purchase would likely be (assuming two bags for my wife) only $80.

Also, if you straight purchase First Class you get a priority line at the airport which is somewhat valuable to me, though I couldn't put a price on that.

If you upgrade at the gate you have already paid for bags and not got the priority line at airport check in so you lose out on a good bit of value. I'm thinking the cost to upgrade at the gate better be pretty reasonable for me not to go ahead and upgrade at the time of original purchase.

Am I thinking through this wrong (very possible) or is it less to upgrade at the gate than I than I think it is? Anyone upgrade at the gate from Comfort+ to First Class? How much was it and did they factor in the baggage cost?

2. gutshotSF

gutshotSF Royal chaser and real-life long-distance runner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Delta gold medallion member here. In my experience, unless you are a medallion member of some kind, your chances of getting any kind of upgrade (paid or otherwise) at the gate is zero. Those gate upgrades are offered to medallion members in a tiered system. It is best to just book the class of service that you want (and taking into consideration your baggage needs) and not bank on getting any sort of upgrade. Even as a gold medallion, I am only upgraded about 30 percent of the time, and it has only happened once on a flight to Vegas, since those tend to be fuller. Hope this helps.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Mr. Brownestone

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for the reply. When you say you are upgraded 30% of the time, is that a complimentary upgrade or 30% of the time they offer to let you pay for the upgrade.

I haven't been on a lot of Delta flights, but the ones I have seem to have mostly empty First Class sections so I'm thinking they don't really give a lot of comp upgrades, ever.

I'm not looking for a comp upgrade, was really looking to compare the price to upgrade at the gate (if available) vs just purchasing First Class straight out.

4. gutshotSF

gutshotSF Royal chaser and real-life long-distance runner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Medallion upgrades are complementary. If you saw empty seats in first class, it means that there weren't any medallion members on that flight to upgrade. The best thing to do is just purchase the class of service that you need up front.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do not expect the chance to even pay for an upgrade at the gate. Those "last minute" ones are for elite members. And, depending on the city and time/day of week, even their platinum elites do not get them. Even some Diamonds have trouble getting them.

If you want it, pay the $90 in advance.

As to comfort plus - I do hope you have already selected your seats. Understand you may still get a middle, and these are the same type seats as the rest of coach. Only difference is the space from the one in front of you.

As to priority line at airport.. only shortens the line for TSA. If you have precheck, then not worth anything.

If you want to hear/read lots about upgrades and getting vs not getting them, check out the delta page at Flyertalk.com.

On a side note - wife with two bags. A few years ago I introduced my wife to carryon only. She now is fine doing even a two week trip with just a carryon. Life is so much easier now.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  6. ChilliPalmer

ChilliPalmer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are being offered $90 now or doing booking definitely do it. If you upgrade or book 1st class in advance you get the priority line, priority baggage, etc. The longer you wait the lower your chances as elites get upgraded or last minute rebooks or business travellers snag those seats.

7. ngrund

ngrund High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For free checked bags, you can get the Delta Amex

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sfgiants13

Sfgiants13 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I can’t remember the last time I’ve heard them offer a paid upgrade at the gate. Medallions will get it followed by nonrevs. If the flight is heavily oversold in coach and open in first after all medallions are upgraded they might do op-ups starting with the most expensive fares but the odds of that are slim.

would I pay an extra $80 for first? Depending on the flight length probably not. Still get free booze in comfort and if you get a non middle seat it’s still a comfortable ride.

9. Mr. Brownestone

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks all. I'll just pay the upgrade fee ahead of time.

I appreciate the input.

10. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with all the comments here. I would add that flights from some airports are more likely to have last minute upgrades. As a silver medallion (the lowest), when I fly from Manchester, I probably get upgraded more than 50% of the time & sometimes there are still empty seats. Out of Boston, I almost never get it. I was surprised to get one from Long Beach to Vegas earlier this month. I am not sure how long your flight is, but $90 is a bargain if it's 3 hours or more. Also, I see that upgrade fee fluctuate quite a bit after ticketing, so if you see it for a price you like, grab it.

11. Mr. Brownestone

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pittsburgh to Vegas is 4+ hours and I change planes once so it's worth it to me. I understand YMMV, but my wife likes the window seat and I'm not about to let some creep/disgusting slob/noisy kid/etc... sit next to her so I always fly in the middle seat. I'm not a big guy so it doesn't bother me as much as it might others, but $80-$120 (depending on how many bags the wife takes) is worth it to me just to sit in a row with only two seats.

12. Syringe Monkey

Syringe Monkey Hero of the Baggage Carousel...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We switched last year from Southworst to Delta because of the Delta AMEX.
    2 checked bags.
    Assigned seats (SW boarding process induced anxiety on my vacation).
    Miles.
    Comfort + is the bomb...bigger seats, more legroom, free booze and 1st Class meals. Yes, please.

The only problem is no direct flights from Pittsburgh to Las Vegas.
    We can deal with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mr. Brownestone

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with all the above. I'm still taking SW back to Pittsburgh because of the direct flight late at night. Otherwise, they have raised prices and screwed the schedule going to Vegas enough to finally make me switch for the flight out.

That 6:40 Vegas time flight that gets back to Pittsburgh around 2:00 is just too perfect for me and it's usually not full so I stress less about the boarding issue than I otherwise would.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. jdk

jdk Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Delta Diamond360 here. Everyone is correct on the upgrade at the gate, not Deltas policy and it’s a 0% chance. Having said that, if you want to upgrade, log onto your delta account, click change seat. If upgrades are available it’ll show 1st class seats, click on one of them and then it’ll give you the price.

15. Syringe Monkey

Syringe Monkey Hero of the Baggage Carousel...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll keep that in mind next year.

The 737Max issues have made it so I don't ever want to fly with them again. And, I saw on the news this a.m., the 787 Max with folding wingtips is about to enter the Boeing fleet (I don't think Southworst). Folding wingtips? Are they deployed on a fucking Aircraft Carrier?

Just...no.

• Like Like x 1
  16. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bet you they will be changing the name from 737 max to something else.

17. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband has been Diamond with Delta the last several years. 2 million miler. (hope he doesn't get to 3, lol) Chances getting upgraded from Atl to LAS or anywhere west coast is about 0% chance. Just watch the seats, there will be 10 seats available a week before and they all sell out within a day or two before the trip. The price you got is a helluva deal. Take it!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At least on the way out to start it off right!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mr. Brownestone

Trips to Las Vegas:

Yea, I mean, full disclosure, the reason I don't mind the SW flight back is if we are leaving on, say a Thursday, we still book the room for Thursday night with no intention of staying the night, but I don't have to worry about getting a late check out and even if we do get a late check out it's only till 2:00 and we are killing time walking around until it's time to leave on that late flight.

BUT, with the room at our disposal I feel like it's the perfect end to the trip as I can go all day, get pretty well drunk in the late afternoon since we have the limo to take us to the airport. The wife can use the pool one more time and have the room to take a shower before heading home. A few more drinks for me at McCarron while we wait to board the flight and I usually sleep all the way till the pilot announces "Welcome to Pittsburgh". I'm probably OK to drive home from the airport with my last drink being 5 hours ago, but the wife does the hour drive home from the airport since a DUI would cost me my job.

I think that will always be my plan until SW does away with that nonstop at 6:40PM Vegas time.

20. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure why MAX issues would keep someone from flying SW, but to each their own.

And, the folding wings are on the 777, not the 787. AND, Southwest has ZERO of those on order and I doubt will in our future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.