1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Can We Use The Showers @ Vegas Campgrounds if We Aren't Staying There?

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by C00kieD0ugh, Jan 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C00kieD0ugh

C00kieD0ugh Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I realise this is an odd question but for those of you that have stayed at Las Vegas campgrounds before, can we easily drive in to the campground, find the bathroom / shower building and plug the meter to take some showers or will we need some kind of paid proof to enter the campgrounds?

If that is not possible, we'll go find a truck stop somewhere.

2. mikel123

mikel123 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure about that, I'd assume they have some way of verifying. I think you'd probably be better off just using tripadvisor and searching by price for the cheapest hotel room. Some rooms during the week can be had for under $30 per night all in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it's like most campgrounds, you need a passcode to get in the showers/restrooms.

And they charge at truck stops to use the showers unless you're a trucker buying fuel.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. C00kieD0ugh

C00kieD0ugh Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just to clarify, not looking for free, looking for frugal!

Campground showers are usually cheaper than truck stop showers and for sure both of those are cheaper than any hotel room I could possibly find.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  5. AllenAndRossi

AllenAndRossi VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe a day pass at one of the fitness centers. Non-hotel guests can use the LINQ fitness center for $10. I would think they would have showers.

• Like Like x 2
  6. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If this somehow helps, 14 gallon gas purchase at a Pilot/Flying J truck stop gets 1/2 a shower credit.
    Buy gas twice there is 1 free shower.
    Need to get a Pro driver card which is free for the asking at the counter

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  7. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a big lake out in front of bellagio. Invest in a bar of soap and you are all set.

• Funny x 14
    • Like x 5
    • Love x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  8. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where are you sleeping? Why not shower there?

9. kip

kip Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas and frugal is like oil and water.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. wesraft

wesraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  11. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Forgot to add it's good for unleaded or diesel fuel plus you get 3 cents off per gallon.
    I've had a card for years , its come in handy on long trips.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Syringe Monkey

Syringe Monkey Hero of the Baggage Carousel...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I learn soooo much on these boards.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How long is the credit good for after the gas purchase?

14. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Credits are in the account within a couple of minutes they expire after 10 days

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. Cardeater

Cardeater Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This reminds me of when I used to drive on long trips and would just sleep in the car at a rest stop instead of getting a hotel room room for 5-6 hours. I had/have a Planet Fitness black card membership and would just use showers there. Membership is like $21 a month plus $39 annual fee.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Calder

Calder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's the desert. A bucket of water, soap, shampoo, towel. Pull off the road somewhere, step behind the van.

Any passersby will assume you're rehearsing for Fremont Street.

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow.

• Like Like x 2
  18. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm trying not to break rules here by providing unwanted feedback but we have some friends recently who spend a few days at the campgrounds. He mentioned something about forgetting the code to the shower (I believe) when he met up with us later at PH so my assumption, much like it was stated above, is that you'll need a code.

While I understand what you're driving at, I think the planet fitness option may be the best as it's $10 for a month (like 50 cents to sign up) if you need to shower THAT bad during one day.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was Second Infantry Division policy that showers were a luxury and needed only after about four or five days. Plan B would consist of a helmet & water can. Failing that, I think @Cousin Eddie and the Lake Bellagio scenario would be ideal.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. C00kieD0ugh

C00kieD0ugh Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmm, I'm a self proclaimed frugal guru lol. Lots of my friends and co-workers ask me to do the shopping for them as they are often impressed by my ways. I'm going to disagree 100% with you on this as Vegas is probably one of the best places on Earth to be a frugal traveler because of the amounts of deals that can be had.

Since everyone on this board has been so generous with information since I signed up only a week or so ago, let me share with you what is possible when it comes to doing Frugal Las Vegas. Also, did you forget which board you posted this on? I mean it's called frugal Las Vegas...

It's a 5 day trip and we're not big drinkers or gamblers. Another fun fact is that Las Vegas is the most frugal Sun destination for Western Canadians so the strip and gambling is not all there is for us, it's mostly about getting out of the cold. It was -45 (that's -49 in Freedom Units!) here last week in my hometown, it was even declared that we were the coldest place on earth!!!!

• We've got one free hotel room, 4 buffets and a half price to Beatles Love via MyVegas and after the exchange we are looking at $260 CAD.
    • We need somewhere to stay for the 3 other nights so we booked the 3 day weekend special and we're going to live the #vanlife, go check our Valley of Fire, budgeting for mileage cost and gas after exchange we are looking at $200 CAD.
    • Camping fee is going to be $0 because of a combination of stealth camping and public land use.
    • Because the van includes a kitchen, we're going grocery shopping to cook a few of our own meals.
    • Playing Binions and Four Queens apps, I've got free meals for a full day for two people doing the downtown experience.
    • Las Vegas Advisor Coupon Book is regular $37 ($50CAD) but thanks to some research and a few key comments on this very forum, I managed to get mine (it's in the mail) for only a dime! Yes, that's right, only 10 cents and that's not even an American dime, that's 10 cents Canadian lol. I don't know why, but this one makes me the happiest!?
    • Las Vegas Advisor Coupon Book Part 2: Thanks to more comments on this sub I installed the Comp City App and have enough tickets to get a free LVA book so I'm going to hold on to that and cash it in for the 2021 edition so I've already started saving on my next trip already.
    So far, the trip is going to cost us about $460.10 CAD plus about another $100 for various food / snack (aka feed my girlfriend's chocolate addiction) brings us to just over $500 for a 5 day / 4 night trip to Las Vegas. That's about $380 USD.

I'm down to researching some minor details like getting free / cheap showers and how to eat cheaper at In and Out and Chick Fil A if any of you folks have tips on those two chains? Why those two? We don't have 'em up here in Canada so yeah...

Hope this long winded post inspired others to go Frugal in Las Vegas!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.