1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best Value Android Phone

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Multifarious5, Jan 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Soooo, I'm a big cheapo, BUT I want the best bang for my buck.

Xfinity offers $12 cell service (including calls and texts) up to one GB for existing xfinity customers, and they piggyback Verizon....GREAT deal.

I tired an iPhone 11, too restrictive on customizations for my taste.

SOOOO, phone-wise, I have to go Google, Samsung or LG on Xfinity.

LG is probably out. Bought an LG TV, returned it, don't trust quality.

So Google pixel 4 XL, Samsung S10e, or Samsung 9 are my pics.

My criteria:
    1) Customization. (All Android phones have this.)
    2)Fingerprint sensor. (Pixel does not have this, and I prefer this to face recognition only)
    3) Wireless charging (cuts out cheaper galaxy models)

Anyone prefer Pixel 4 XL, Samsung 9/s10e and why? Note 9 is also a consideration.

I only have a few more days to return my iPhone. Pixel has a GREAT deal, but fingerprint is big for me (Pixel is face recognition only, no fingerprint), so I am also kicking around the idea of Samsung 9, even though older....

Again, this is for Android users. I tried iPhone, not for me. Thanks all!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. blue808

blue808 Lahaina Strong.!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently got the Pixel 3a and I'm really happy with it... I looked at the 3XL and the 4XL, but the 3a fits my needs perfectly. I would suggest that you check out some comparison reviews on CNET and You Tube as well.. plus the price point for the 3a is really budget friendly... about $400.00. Plus the 3a has the fingerprint sensor...Good luck..!!

3. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Samsung died in the great "Styrofoam Soda Cup in a Too-Small Cup Holder Explosion of 2019".

I had assumed that I'd just get the latest Samsung, but I had a bit of sticker shock. I identify as a Millennial, therefore I am one, however I just can't see paying almost a thousand bucks for the inclusion of all sorts of stuff that is just there to lift the price point. I did some research (including using CNET for quite a few comparisons) and decided on the Google Pixel 3A-XL. I have a plan at T-Mobile and got it for $499.

And it is - by far - the best phone I've ever had. The quality of the photos is absolutely phenomenal, and the battery has insane life compared to the Samsung (my Samsung seemed to be always tethered to an external battery, Since I bought the Pixel, I've never even hooked it up to the external battery).

The best photo I've ever taken was with the Google, and this was THROUGH A HOTEL WINDOW!!!

upload_2020-1-20_8-59-6.png

I am not saying that its the best camera, or that I am a great cameraman, but a phone that can take a photo like this is certainly an upgrade from Samsung.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
    • Like Like x 2
  4. 63hearts

63hearts Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used three generations of iPhone before switching to android, my first being pixel2xl and I wish I would have done it far sooner. The pixel2xl is still in use in my family and it doesn't disappoint. The 4 will be very good to you.

5. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For Android bang for your buck, you probably can't beat the Pixel "a" series.... starting with the 3rd generation Pixel, Google releases their flagship version in the fall, then a budget version of that phone in the spring.

The 3a (or 3a XL if you prefer a bigger screen) would be your best bet right now; the 4a should be out in April or May if you can wait a few months.

If you want high end specs at a bit of a discount, take a look at One Plus. Their phones have similar specs to Samsung and Apple, but are a bit easier on the wallet (though they are pricier than the Pixel "a" series)...

Edit: looking back at your post, I see that One Plus wouldn't be an option on your service; I'll leave the info there in case it might be helpful to someone else.

I would eliminate the Galaxy S9, as that phone is almost 2 years old. You mention the Pixel 4, but not the 3a....are the "a" series phones not available? If not, then it's between the Pixel 4 and Galaxy S10e. Both very good phones, just go with whichever checks more boxes as far as features you want...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  6. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just switched to this offer in September of 2019. Great deal. With the phone, I'm paying $28 a month. I was paying $45 a month for a flip phone through Verizon. I got the Samsung Galaxy A50, which retails for $350, and at that time, they were offering a $250 Visa Gift Card, so I basically paid $100 for it. I have multiple iPads, so my phone is mostly just a phone for me, but have no complaints with it.

I know it's not one of the ones you were considering, but just thought I would mention it.

I'm just hoping Xfinity doesn't pull their normal method of jacking up the price after they got you. I just cancelled my streaming with them, because paying about $12 a month to stream local and a few antenna channels was worth it to me, but now that $12 is $45.

• Love Love x 1
  7. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Josie this is SO why I am doing it. I tried sprints kick start plan, and have a moto z3 play. Good phone, but terrible service (no one can hear me) and Comcast requires specific phones.

I am sure they’ll go up eventually (Comcast) but it’s worth trying. Plus, with Hulu, netflix and a bevy of new streaming options, and cable prides being insane, a cheap mobile plan IS a hook to keep people onboard, so I’m hoping the prices stay stable at least for a little.

great feedback as always Josie, and fingers crossed prices stay! :)

And @grosx2 this is GREAT feedback. They have $300 off Pixel right now (only 4 or 4xl). I like the s10e mainly for the fingerprint, but not enough to pay $250 more than pixel. On s9 I’ll mix it per your advice, unless they run a killer deal. Looks like pixel is the front runner right now, unles s10e goes on sale.
    Thank you!!!!

8. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fingerprint? You mean the sensor to unlock the device?

The 3A-XL has a fingerprint unlock, but it is located on the back of the phone (which I first scoffed at, but now find far more convenient because my phone is almost always already in my hands.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  9. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a Pixel 2, the small one. I've dropped it on concrete from 4', the screen survived, the corner of the case is chipped, That is the ONLY problem I've had with this phone and it's over two years old. Compare this to the Samsung S5 I had before, where after 3 or 4 months, every other phrase that came out of my mouth was "I hate this fcking phone, piece of shat, GDMFPOS phone). I had motorolas before, I was happy, but I LOVE the pixel.

Ann says my BP has dropped dramatically.

No reason to go home yet.
  10. grosx2

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just an FYI, the next Galaxy phones (apparently called S20 rather than S11) are going to be announced on Feb 11, so very good possibility that the S10 line will see some price decreases in the next month or so, if you're able to wait until then...

11. Eric1285

Eric1285 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure if current year flagship phones are what I would consider a "value".

I recently upgraded my OG Pixel XL to a Pixel 3. Didn't want to spend the money for a Pixel 4, and the Pixel 3a performs about the same as an OG Pixel (but with a much better camera). Pixel 3 hit the sweet spot for me...they were actually priced below the 3a, making it a no brainer. I'm very happy with the phone, especially the battery life.

12. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @grosx2 thank you so much! I found that our after I ordered the iPhone. I'm kicking myself now as I only have a 2 week window. But, hindsite and all. BUT pixel has a great deal. I know the battery is lower, but reviews said the s10e is the same, so that helps.

I'll give it a few days then will bite the bullet. Your thumbs up on pixel was a BIG help thank you! :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife has the S10e on Xfinity and has been very happy so far.

• Love Love x 1
  14. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ack, not making it easy Gov! The s10e is my top pick. Any solid android works for me, but I REALLY like having fingerprint recognition, which pixel doesn’t.

I’m using the iphone11 now, with SOLID face recognition, and it’s still too bumpy for me—-Pixels will probably be even more bumpy. I flat like a fingerprint scanner, even if “less cool” on tech.

So, it’ll depend on sales this week. I’m definitely returning the iPhone 11. Solid phone and feels good, but old tooth android users (like me) will fuss about lack of customizations.

My mom and brother love it, and I think iPhone has an amazing product, and if I could customize it? I’d be keeping it. But I can’t.

So, S10e, Pixel 4 XL or an older note s9 (last pick) it’ll depend on the sale price this week on xfinity, wish me luck, and I’ll post back on what I pick!

15. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pixel 2 has fingerprint, I bet the 3 does also

No reason to go home yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've been using the Moto phones for the last 8 years or so and very happy with them, most recently the Z4 and zero issues with any of them in all that time.

• Like Like x 1
  17. grosx2

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It does, but she mentioned that this particular carrier only has the 4 or 4 XL available, and they ditched fingerprint for face.

• Like Like x 1
  18. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can get a BlackBerry Key2 LE for $280 at Best Buy. I’m probably going to pick this up because my BB Classic is not well. It’s been a great phone, love the keyboard. No one would care to steal it.

https://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_key2_le-9292.php

• Like Like x 1
  19. Foos

Foos High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use a LG V20, used they cost under $100 on eBay (I paid $60 for mine in Perfect condition) , they have the best Music Dac for your music collection, a removable battery, fingerprint reader, Dual 16 MP cameras and takes any size Micro SD card. I use mine on Mint (T-mobile reseller) using a google voice number (not the number Mint gives you) so I always can be a new customer for deals. I currently pay about $8 a month for Unlimited talk, text and 8gb data.

• Like Like x 1
  20. phantomfj

phantomfj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My pixel 3axl has fingerprint sensor on the back.....

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.