1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tip or no tip when picking up food?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by rdwoodpecker, Jan 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I assumed whomever brought it to the car did the shopping.....my mistake.

• Like Like x 1
  2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Dogs have owners, cats have staff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you're right; something like $2.50 per hour + tips?

3. pirviii

pirviii Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do, the CWs and bartenders make more then I do

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry I always stray from the original post question. To answer the question I do not tip on take out. But if there is a jar then I do put the loose change in there. Just because I personally don't like to carry loose change.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. jack v

jack v MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No tip for takeout, ever, i find the concept ridiculous. For delivery I would tip him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Calder

Calder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tip for delivery.

If I pick up, shouldn't they tip me?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you tip in the drive-thru lane?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Calder

Calder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope, but I have get out of my car to get the pizza.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would not ever think about tipping on a pick up. Tipping is for services rendered. On a pick up, all they are doing is their job, making my food. See, I went to pick up my order because I did not want to pay any extra fees, like a delivery charge. If I am going to tip on a pick up, I might as well stay home and get delivery

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually tip a couple of bucks at a mom and pop restaurant locally owned restaurant for my to go orders. I tipped good for to go orders at StripBurger in Vegas. Those people bust their ass.

I don’t tip at fast food. Exception Is Sonic - 100 degrees in Texas and they are running back and forth to cars- I give a buck or two. Although I have not been to Sonic in a couple of years. We have a Whataburger now.

11. Vegas Todd

Vegas Todd MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, unless you're buds with the owner/server/cook.

12. Sean Kearns

Sean Kearns Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I loathe tipping in general. Pay your workers a reasonable wage and pass along the cost to the consumer... .you know, like in every other transaction in the world. The idea of tipping someone who rang up my purchase and handed it to me is insane. Why would I tip a cashier? Micro-rant notwithstanding I still tip 18% in a normal restaurant setting (ok I'm back... why is my server only entitled to $9 when I have a cheap meal and $50 when I have nice meal) and I'll tip bellboys, valets, bartenders, barbers, uber drivers, etc as expected.

• Like Like x 2
  13. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we have a nice meal, the server should know that a Johnny Walker Black and water is not a shot(glass) of Johnny Walker Black and a seperate glass of water. They should know more than just basic server stuff. They should have less tables and have support staff that can bring bread, refill water and the server has to share tips with them. That being said, we have been to nice restaurants where the server should have done better, the manager should have cared more, the corporate office could have responded to a complaint. I am not tipping them more than someone who goes above and beyond.

14. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm one of those who tips on take-out if it is not "fast food" or pizza...not much - typically the coins + $1.
    Funny about the mention of McD's... I tip the server at Sonic every time, but never would tip the person delivering my bag of food to my car at a burger drive-thru.
    I guess I just figure that their having me pull into a "waiting area" for my food is me already helping them out by keeping the drive-thru lane moving.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty sure they are not able to accept tips. But for the sake of this game I wouldn't tip for this service that is being pushed.

16. JJLV

JJLV High-Roller

Frozen Tundra. Desert dream died with him.
    Trips to Las Vegas:

Good answer Joe. I worked at a privately owned old school Superclub for almost 20 years. I did it all. Among the many tasks while seating customers and bartending... taking phone to go orders. Not often as it was a steak/ Prime rib type place but on Fridays Fish Fry night... WOW. I ran my A## off! While doing everything else...Take to go call, then running that ticket to cooks, Back in time when alarmed to box them up, making the sauce cups (tarter sauce so on) and any other special requests all good and bagging it up. I bet in those 20 years I made 20 dollars on to gos. So sucked. But always brought them out fresh and handed them over with a smile and a thank you come again! :) Honest. I always tip if I can tell they are doing the work. If just runner I still tip a buck or so or leftover. They are often pulled from something else to bring out that to go. BUT to each their own. I sometimes feel I tip for those that don't. It's all good.

• Love Love x 1
  17. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our H-E-B grocery discourages tipping for curbside delivery but not for home delivery. They both have the same transaction fee. $4.95 flat rate + 3% extra on every item. I have a friend that refuses to use the self checkout. She once told one of the managers that tried to get her to use it when she only had a few items that she expected a discount for ringing up and bagging her own groceries.

I have used curbside many times. Some mornings after work I’m just too tired and or lazy.

18. Roccoscollar

Roccoscollar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No worries. I'll tip for you for next time I'm there. I'll let them know it's from comfortably numb.

19. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Dogs have owners, cats have staff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Knock yourself out!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. WichitaMuskie

WichitaMuskie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha, I worked at a KMart in high school/college, and we weren't "allowed" to take tips for loading people's cars in the garden center, either (top soil, decorative stone, mulch and the like). Oddly enough, those tips that WERE offered somehow ended up in my pocket. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.