1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What do you alway pack in your suitcase, that some might consider strange?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by daveg000, Jan 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    dmr ~ I double, no, make that triple-dog-dare you!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of those dolls we were discussing. Buy her a window seat. No one will care.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wood Toothpicks and Handkerchiefs

• Like Like x 1
  4. boofmichael

boofmichael Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We spend a lot of time at the pool on holiday so I bought a waterproof phone case from Amazon for like $15 so I can take my phone in the pool or leave it at the side without fear of it being stolen and I don’t need to keep looking over at my lounger to make sure there are no dodgy looking people lurking around. It’s also handy to keep bills in for tips so you don’t need to leave the pool.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One thing I've often found myself in need of on trips is a pair of scissors... usually to cut the tag off of something that I've bought brand new, or to remove a wristband. Too often I've gone the "I'll just snip it with a pair of nail clippers" route, and I decided I wanted to get a pair of scissors to travel with. Of course, you can't pack "real" scissors in your carry-on if the blade is over a certain length.

So I managed to locate this pair, which is fully permissible on the plane since the blades are under whatever the maximum length is, and they can't easily be used to hurt anybody.

Five bucks on Amazon, could probably find a cheaper version at a dollar store or something if you looked hard enough. This resides in my carry-on bag now.

[​IMG]

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
    • Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rubbers just in case I ever get "lucky", lol. Nope, never got lucky in vegas.

Yup, I also bring duct tape.

One note, don't use duct tape to box your things through the mail, the PO doesn't like people using them. Don't know why as they are more secure than the clear tape.

I also bring along plastic bags along with recyclable bags. In many places (like Hawaii) they don't allow plastic bags anymore so you are out of luck if you needed it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A hot water bottle. My feet are always like ice cubes. Also very helpful if my back is aching.

An immersion water heater for my morning coffee. I’m very interested in that collapsible kettle that was shown here.

8. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a standard toiletry go-bag that I always have ready in my suitcase. Otherwise, cufflinks are key -- I travel for work and have found myself without cufflinks on more than one occasion, it's not the sort of thing you can remedy quickly if you forget them! And always a spare USB charger.

• Like Like x 2
  9. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    See page 3 of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Not that. Just a couple of books with pink and purple perforated pages and a plastic coil wire attached to a bunch of credit cards that are no good for buying anything. Insert spouse's eyeroll here.

10. Sniff009

Sniff009 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Plastic utensils and napkins. I also pack plastic bags.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No!

I kinda learned the hard way once not to be a smart@$$ and joke about things like that.

It was the spring after 9/11 and I and some local Bay Area friends went to Rocky Horror in Oakland. There was a bag check and I assumed it was for things such as water balloons and hot dogs. (Those who have done RHPS certainly know about this.) Anyway, when it was my turn the guy just asked "Uh, ya got anything in there that you're not supposed to have?" and I replied "Yeah, booze, guns, drugs ..."

Wrong! He motioned over the real theater security goon who took me aside, searched my bag, and gave me the Come To Jesus lecture about making jokes about things like that.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  12. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bring my iced tea mix.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Do you get a weird aftertaste boiling in rubber?

14. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well many of the things folks think are strange, I already pack. I never knew there was flat duct tape. Already ordered it on Amazon!

I just bought a roll over The holidays, I was with my wife, Daughter and 5 grand kids, for a weeks Vacation(?), and my oldest grandson had a cast on his ankle that was unraveling.

15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably all of these things are at least a little different:

1. Several cheap number 6 3/4 white gummed envelopes. We leave a separate tip for morning and evening housekeeping every day-the housekeeper who does the service always gets her envelope.

2. A small electric kettle for Mrs. Johnny.

3. A few Cranes stationery cards. I write brief thank-you notes to people who go out of their way to help us during our trips. These notes often elicit happily emotional responses and thanks that someone noticed. The effect always outweighs the effort and makes it more than a worthwhile activity. (and, yes, we also point out the excellent service to hotel managers)

4. Like Sonya, I used to always pack a small white noise machine, but I’ve found that the Sleep Pillow app for my big iPad works very well and makes just the right surf sound. Have to leave the iPad plugged in for overnight use.

5. In May and October I pack a waterproof case for my iPods (made by H2O audio) and waterproof ear buds-I listen to music and audiobooks while swimming laps.

6. And, probably also odd, I throw in my LL Bean Wicked Good fleece slippers. Always by my bedside.

7. Probably not so odd, but I always carry a pack of Clorox On The Go Disinfecting Wipes. We wipe down airline seats, seatbelts and buckles and tray tables. It’s unbelievable the disgusting crap these wet wipes pick up from the surfaces where we sit. Nice job American. Also good for wiping down tv remotes and room phones.

As I’ve pointed out in a different thread, we always check bags and get no reward for being minimalists. If in doubt, it gets packed.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 2
  16. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Quoting to give props to you for this in particular. You're absolutely right that written gratitude has a far greater impact than any form of verbal gratitude, with an added bonus of it having a more lasting effect. It also comes across as much more sincere and thoughtful on a card like this, instead of just any old piece of paper. I like your style!

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JJLV

JJLV High-Roller

Frozen Tundra. Desert dream died with him.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry I can not answer as I was only commenting on poidawg's post about it and how brilliant I thought it was being collapsible. I hope it will get answered for you now as I quoted it below.

18. Gobluebrad

Gobluebrad Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Goldbond

19. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks-obviously we certainly agree. I’m old and this is the way I was raised. I have found that brief handwritten notes have always had great effects well beyond what I’d usually think.

I have had simple Cranes note cards and fold-overs (engraved) since my grandmother gave me some when I was sixteen ( in 1962). My personal reward for writing is the obvious appreciation people seem to have for being noticed, thanked and appreciated. But, I’d do it without reward-just as an enhanced personalized “thanks”.

But, you’re from Canada where people still have manners, generally, so you obviously get this.

• Like Like x 2
  20. callahanha

callahanha Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mother bought me a portable travel oven. It plugs into the wall and is about 12 X 10 X 4 inches and is collapsable. It is great for reheating pizza or sometimes I stop at walmart and pick up some frozen egg sandwiches. I keep them in the fridge and take one out in the morning and put it in the oven for an hour and have a much cheaper breakfast than Starbucks

• Like Like x 6
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.