1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Coffee

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by ReTriggerMe, Jan 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every travel site has discussions of in-room coffee makers, etc.

I need in room coffee first thing in morning. Ive yet to find room service, or a little one cup brewer that suffices. I like very dark roast brew. Not about the money... Id order room service if I could get a decent cup.

I travel light, carryon only if 4-nights or less. Ordered but returned a collapsible kettle. I travel with one of those old immersion heaters, and a collapsible pour over. Bring coffee. Find, or buy cheap mug... leave the mug behind at departure

Anyone have other tricks? Know a way to get genuinely strong, hot brew delivered? Know a hotel that will send a coffee maker to room?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few years ago on a five night stay we stopped by Fry's in Vegas and bought a full sized coffee maker for ten dollars. We brought our own coffee and this worked great and then just left the maker at the end of our stay.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have privilege (card level) or $$$ some hotels will provide a coffee maker to the room. 7* used to get Keurig in their rooms at Cromwell if requested. there have been several threads about who does and who doesn't, and what types.

There are coil heaters that you can plug in and make hot water if you want to make a cup of instant,
    coilheater.jpg

or with a little ingenuity, you can make a cup of drip.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  4. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is an immersion heater. I travel with that and collapsible pour over
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Eric1285

Eric1285 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I stay at hotels without an in-room coffee maker, I'll bring a few cans of Monster or Red Bull so I can get my caffeine fix within 5 minutes of rising. That buys me enough time to get downstairs and buy a proper cup of coffee.

6. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A portable French press combined with an immersion heater will get your coffee as strong as you like. I usually travel with two or three immersion heaters since my wife likes tea as well in the morning. I'll usually boil 2 cups of water in the disposable room cups because the immersion heaters work best when they reach near the bottom of the cup. The Stanley has the added benefit of keeping the water hot where as some lesser insulated presses let it get too cool while steeping.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This. I do this, but I stop at Walmart ($10.84 for a 12 cup coffee maker). A full pot of my favorite coffee every day. I bring up a glass of milk at night to put in the fridge (or on ice) for the morning.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tarstarkas

Tarstarkas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought online a 1 cup keurig knockoff for $19. It doesn't take up much room and I bring a box of k cups. Drinking it black makes it even simpler.

9. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is there any other way to drink coffee?!?!?!;)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  10. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're picky about your coffee, I'd suggest avoiding the in-room coffee machine approach, as they're usually not very good. I remember reading something about how a Clark County ordinance prohibits traditional coffee pots in hotel rooms, so the only ones you'll find in Vegas are the "pod" or "filter basket" single cup serving types.

Off the top of my head, a few hotels (and room types) that have in-room coffee for sure...

- Main Street Station
    - Plaza (Luxe rooms)
    - Four Queens
    - El Cortez (Keurig)
    - Sam's Town
    - Gold Coast

If you absolutely need GOOD coffee in the morning, I think that the most reliable thing to do would be the "buy a coffee maker and leave it behind" approach. Figure that will cost you $20-ish for a coffee maker, coffee, filters, and a mug or some cups. Divide that by four nights, it's the same cost as buying Starbucks every morning.

One other suggestion, what about buying bottled/canned iced coffee and putting it in the fridge or on ice? That's something I've started doing at home as I don't always have the energy to make coffee in the morning, so I keep some bottled iced coffee in the fridge and I can get my fix without having to wait for anything.

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
  11. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always take an immersion heater. Some of Starbucks instants aren't too terrible, so I've used those. The little basket in my single cupper at home fits in the top of my take along coffee mug, so I've used that too. I also ordered a bunch of empty tea bags, which I've tried coffee in. It works okay. I don't think any of these methods are ideal, but I rate them drinkable. When I'm on vacation I gotta have my coffee and snacks in bed in the morning.

I use my Brita to filter the water or use bottled. Can't make coffee with that stuff straight out of the tap.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always wondered how often do they clean/replace those coffee makers in the hotel rooms, especially Keureg machine which have a lot of nooks and crannies inside that can become pretty gross over time. LOL That's one reason why I don't use the coffee makers in the room. It's definitely safer to bring your own coffeemaker or just walk down to the nearest Starbucks. Years ago, I use to carry one of those immersion heaters to make tea in my room, but nowadays I just head down to Starbucks or wherever I decide to have breakfast for my morning coffee.

13. vsop

vsop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I travel with just carry on luggage and manage to fit in a .5 liter electric water kettle (Bodum)...and bring a package of Cafe Bustelo instant espresso ...it's nice to have some coffee and pastry without having to leave the room in the AM..

14. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use to think "How can my Dad drink coffee black?!?! It's so bitter!", but then again, I see people drinking tea with lemon, sugar, and cream (which I could never do).

In my Dad's case, when you don't have much money, you drink it black. In my case, I drink tea black (without any additives), because that is what I drank before I drank coffee, and that's how it was served in my house.

Sorry, didn't mean to digress the post. Made my contribution earlier.

15. julia

julia VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I too love my coffee. I’ve used the Starbucks Italian roast VIA instant with a hotpot to heat the water. Lately though, I just get a latte at Eataly and I’m good.

If I really needed that dark roast black coffee, I’d travel with pour over brewer, filters, hotpot and a container of freshly ground extra dark roast. My current fave is Black Rifle Coffee Co’s Murdered Out. So delish.

16. kkinwi

kkinwi VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Black and Decker one cupper has served me well for years. Fits in a carry on, and I always have cups and coffee packs along. I will usually indulge in 2-3 cups while getting ready for the day. One of my fave Vegas parts of the day.

• Like Like x 1
  17. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think about this problem because I travel for work sometimes, but they're mostly 2 day trips and I pack very light. But for a longer trip, such as 6 nights in Vegas, the Aero Press would work. I use one at work right at my desk. I think it's great and you can tailor it to your taste. At work I have a kettle, but that immersion heater would work. The problem with the immersion heater and the Aero Press is you need a cup for the coffee, and a cup for heating. So maybe the portable kettle would make more sense. I have about a week to figure this out, lol. Great thread!

18. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a small kettle and instant coffee. Takes about as much space in my luggage as a pair of shoes.

19. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like you've already tried the Collapsible kettle. I bring one of those with some of the Starbucks via Instant, which I find fairly decent for instant coffee.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.