1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

boxsocial's first trip report! downtown 1/12-15

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by boxsocial, Jan 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boxsocial

boxsocial Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

hey everyone!

I've loved reading all the trip reports posted here over the years and have learned a lot about the in's, out's, and whathaveyou's of Las Vegas from the random adventures, so I figured I'd give it a whirl and try to live post my upcoming trip.

the details!

flight:
    flying Southwest nonstop out of PDX around 11am on Sunday - already scored A group boarding so the hard part is over. coming back nonstop on Southwest early Weds afternoon and hopefully there won't be snow on the ground when I return.

hotel:
    I was originally looking at grabbing a cheap room at Flamingo since I haven't stayed on the strip in a while, but I checked my Bconnected account and I had some comp rooms available and free is even more free without the resort fee. I booked a king room Sun-Tues at MSS and a premium king Mon-Weds at The Cal, hoping that the overlap will provide a more leisurely hotel swap without any rush or fuss - first time staying at either location.

the beer:
    The PNW is flush with amazing beer and I always like to bring a six-pack of goodies with me to keep the indulgence level up while I'm having a good time.

[​IMG]

plans:
    a good friend of mine lives in the surrounding area and he invited me over for a bbq and to watch the Packers game on Sunday. he has a nice built-in outdoor grill setup and knows how to use it, so I'm definitely looking forward to that. other tentative plans include seeing Opium and maybe Purple Reign, going to the Mob Museum and Neon Museum, dinner at Charlie Palmer's, drinks at Skybar, beers at Able Baker taproom, VMB meet-up on the 14th at PH, and who knows what else. if i end up actually doing half of those things, I'll call this trip a success.

gambool:
    bingo at Plaza, maybe a poker tournament at Golden Nugget and/or Flamingo, VP at Vue Bar and Boar's Head Bar, craps at MSS and Golden Gate, maybe a few slots here and there, and using my $50 SW freeplay on black/odd at The D. when I haven't learned my lesson, there will be bubble craps and let it ride somewhere.

other hopeful stops include Donut Bar, Triple George Grill, finding a great bloody mary somewhere, Hattie B's or Flippin' Good hot chicken sandwich, maybe some live jazz, and anything else that piques my interest. I can't promise this will be a great TR, but I'll do my best!

• Like Like x 9
  2. NittyOne

NittyOne VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sweet I’m in, like the way you roll. Not much into most of the bourbon barrel aged as I find them to sweet but definitely down for those barrel aged wild ales.

• Like Like x 1
  3. whitefox

whitefox Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your beer selection looks amazing. Good luck downtown! The D has "personal" mini bubble craps machines upstairs. I had a weird experience on it, but it might be worth checking out if you're interested.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NittyOne

NittyOne VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recommend doing some time at the bar next to Triple George as well, some great memories there with the wife. For your MSS room I prefer rooms on the train side and would ask for one on that side when checking in. Both MSS and GG craps tables are two of my favorites.

Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. drac999

drac999 Loving Life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a great trip!

Happy Birthday to Me!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Stinkfinger

Stinkfinger Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Following

• Like Like x 2
  7. boxsocial

boxsocial Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for the heads-up! I've seen pictures of these things, I'll have to burn a $20 on one between rounds of VP and Sigma Derby.

thanks for the bar info and room advice, I'll see if they have something available on that side when I check in.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some good looking beer there! Hope you find some good locals to drink too!

• Like Like x 1
  9. rooster42000

rooster42000 Goat of all Goats , My Hero

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good Luck :wave:

• Like Like x 1
  10. eliza

eliza Creepy Vegas Friend

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like an awesome trip. I'll be following along. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  11. RedChip

RedChip VIP Guppy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck! Sounds like a great trip.

One night at the Gambling Hall...
    ...followed by two nights downtown
    • Like Like x 1
  12. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dear fellow northwestern, love the beer selection. Even here in the hinterlands of the Long Beach Peninsula, there are some good beers & breweries to be found. I live 30 minutes from Fort George in Astoria and three blocks from North Jetty Brewery in Seaview, WA. That's too convenient. lol

Have fun & looking forward to hearing about your trip!

• Like Like x 2
  13. boxsocial

boxsocial Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    drove through the rain to the airport and snagged a spot in economy parking close to a shelter, quick and easy shuttle to the terminal and through security in a breeze. enjoying the fruits, er.. pickled vegetables of my labor at The Country Cat!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. boxsocial

boxsocial Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you're in a great area for beer, can't go wrong with Ft George or Buoy! haven't tried North Jetty, I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BoVegas

BoVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking forward to your TR, win.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BigSully

BigSully Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go see Bobby at the main bar at Binion’s! The best bartender around!

• Like Like x 1
  17. boxsocial

boxsocial Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    scored a window seat in row 15 with a flat spot to lay my head on one side and an empty seat on the other. taking off in a few, next stop: Las Vegas! hopefully my Chiefs will be doing their thing when I land.

• Like Like x 2
  18. boxsocial

boxsocial Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    flight got in early which was a bonus. I walked down to catch the WAX but the machine wasn't taking cards and I didn't have anything under a $20, so took a Lyft instead - quick drive with a nice driver for under $20 including tip. there was no line when I went to check in at MSS, found myself in room 1002 facing the highway which works just fine for me. time to get my matchplay at The D and see if the gambling gods are as nice as the travel gods today.

19. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dang! How did I not list Buoy? I even know the owner, Luke Colvin, and am friends with his parents. Perhaps I've had too much of their products. :drunk:

I'm current having Graveyard of the Pacific, an amazing seasonal collaboration from North Jetty and Heathen Brewing, but at 10.4% alcohol, I'll try to make one last for the duration of the Seahawk – Green Bay game. Cheers!

IMG_2509.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  20. boxsocial

boxsocial Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    up $15 off roulette bets with my matchplay, no complaints yet. beers, bbq, and football are a success so far!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.