1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How far in advance...

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by LVRaiders, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LVRaiders

LVRaiders Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For those not booking on comps...

How many months out do you book your room in advance? I nerd out when it comes to my travel, and have planned my 2019 trips (less any comp specials) to Vegas since last November.

March, June, October and this year threw in an August stop on the back end of a west coast work trip.

April Trip
    Last Minute
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JoeM78

JoeM78 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I book well in advance and take advantage of the free cancellation/changes policies at most hotels. I probably make the first booking 8-9 months prior to a trip and then monitor the rates as time goes on. Each time I notice the rate drops, I re-book. The final re-booking is probably 2-3 months out.

My trips usually evolve over that time. I may have multiple hotels booked and I adjust the locations and length of the trip as it gets closer. I will even re-book the flights as they drop (taking advantage of Southwest free change policies).

I know non of this is really necessary, I could just book month out and probably not spend very much more money, but I find it fun and to always be planning my next trip.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  3. LVRaiders

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I unfortunately dont have SW as a primary carrier (I'm a frequent AA flyer) but often book flight 4-6 months out, monitoring any trends via Google flights pricing.

April Trip
    Last Minute
  4. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I book my room as soon as I know when we want to go. Then I check back weekly and cancel and re-book if the rate goes down. In 2017 I lost count how many times I re-booked, but it was at least 6 times. In the end I booked a Spa Suite room at NYNY for less than what I originally booked a standard King room. I first booked that room in May. So,5 months.

If I'm going to a conference I book it as soon as I'm given the green light to attend. Work pays so I don't care if I can get a better deal. I'll book for the conference rate and sit and wait. I booked my upcoming trip in November, so, 6 months.

I book about 4 to 6 months out.

For flights I wait until about 90 days out because the prices seem to get lower as you get closer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. FYMYAWF

FYMYAWF VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been as far ahead as a year and as little as a few days. Just depends on the circumstances. I had a couple impromptu trips this year that I booked just the week before. I'd say on average though about 3 months ahead. Better flight deals that way.

6. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm comped now, but I used to book really far out (direct through hotel, won't work at a third party) and call in and rebook eack time prices dropped.

I like nerding out on rates too, and it was always fun to watch the calendar like a hawk and rebook.

Maybe that's why I am comped now, they got so sick of me doing this they gave me rooms! :whistle: (Kidding)

FYI I still do this with my flights since I don't do early bird check in. Anytime the points drop, I rebook on SW. Paying can be a pain, since you have to keep track of prior conf. #'s, but for points? I'm a total airfare troller!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Regardless of whether I use comps or not, it really depends on when I can set tentative travel dates. I hate to plan too far in advance, since Murphy's Law has struck a number of times and I had to cancel trips and reservations.

I think my next Vegas trip will be over Halloween which is almost 5 months away, so I'm in the process of planning a few things now, but nothing is booked. I'm keeping a check on airfare, car rental rates, and going through what room comps I have available, but it's still to early to start making reservations.

8. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always book the hotel room directly with the hotel and I make sure the reservation is able to be cancelled. That way I have until a couple days before the reservation begins to cancel without any fees. But, in the case of Murphy's Law, I do wait to book airfare. Even though I'm committed anything can happen that far out. I mentioned I book flight 90 days before flight but I recounted and I do it about 60 days before. About 60 days ahead of time and I'm pretty committed to going at that point, the only thing preventing me will be some major event regarding health of family/myself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Book and rebook several times for other hotels, whenever I see a price/deal that looks good.

Have always found the best time to book any rooms at Golden Nugget is during their Cyber Monday sale in the Autumn.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    6 months at most. Usually 3 months on average. But I always check back to see if I can find a better deal.

• Like Like x 1
  11. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I now book 3-4 weeks out. If I do it any further ahead than that stuff always seems to change in my life that affects the trip. I get my offers a couple months in advance, so I know when the best days are for me. I book directly though the property (Hard Rock) and with Southwest Airlines... I'm done... I have a zillion points with SWA and just use 'em. I no longer rent a vehicle, just have a driver from the HRH pick me up and return me to the airport.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Kisby

Kisby High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm usually very excited for an upcoming trip. I'm making hotel reservations now for a trip in May. I like to make my comped reservations early as it usually gets me a better room on the dates I want. Sometimes, they run out of "comped rooms."

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blue pacific

Blue pacific Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Earlier the better is my motto, typically 3-4 months in advance...flights, cheap parking at airport, rental car reservations are all
    At lower prices if done 3-4 month advance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MaxVegas

MaxVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always try to book as early as possible. I usually only book reservations that take cancellations though, that way I can keep an eye on rates and rebook if prices drop at any point.

15. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My last trip I booked a month in advance but my upcoming planned (not confirmed) trip, I booked all but airfare back in August or July for April.

16. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Dogs have owners, cats have staff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I try to book a hotel as soon as I know I'll be traveling (for example, I just used a 25% off mLife discount to book for Thanksgiving weekend 2020). I always book with a free cancellation option, that way I can keep checking for better rates.

I always use Southwest or Spirit Airlines.

I typically make up a daily itinerary in a Word file, then "massage" my plans as necessary as interests and plans change.

Sometimes I hear about new attractions or one-off things I want to do, so I try to remain as flexible as possible- but always want that hotel booked so I can fall back on it if nothing better comes along.

I try not to rent a car unless it's absolutely necessary, and even then I only rent for a day or two of my stay.

17. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whenever I stay at Golden Nugget I'm not on comps, so always book my hotels during their Cyber Monday sale in November (For following June/July)

I've got comped rooms booked for next December.

18. LVRaiders

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have yet to book my room for late May as prices have changed weekly.

April Trip
    Last Minute
  19. Kisby

Kisby High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is true, but I find that if I make a reservations, and prices lower, all I have to do is call and get the lower price. But I'm usually comped and it doesn't matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. andyg99

andyg99 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Generally I book about 3 months ahead but when booking my March trip last week I checked the dates for another pre-Christmas trip and saw Luxor was offering me a freebee for the 2 bedroom suite (no resort fees) in December so I jumped on it. That is the earliest I ever booked a Vegas trip. So I have my first and last trips for 2020 booked - somewhere in between those two will be one or two more.

Vegas Trip #57
    Vegas Trip #58, Sammy Hagar
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.