What is the $20 Trick & how do you do it?

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by Sonya, Jun 25, 2007.

1. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You won't. There will be one of four outcomes:

You give them the $20, they give you an upgrade and keep the $20.

You give them the $20, they don't give you an upgrade but keep the $20.

You give them the $20, they tell you they can't accept it and return it, but still give you an upgrade.

You give them the $20, they tell you they can't accept it and return it, and don't give you an upgrade.

I have had option 3 happen, for those of you who are doubters.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. zoey11

zoey11 Mid roller and Vegas fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally, in the past I have done this, not so much anymore because it's comped.

But I used to politely ask for the next level upgrade, and have a twenty in my hand. If they are able to accommodate, make an effort
    or can actually do it, I then tip them at the end.

I was just never comfortable with hiding it, that's just me though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. eksantirik

eksantirik High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually I am thinking a little opposite. Maybe not excalibur, but luxor has pretty damn good tower suites. For a 4-5 night stay, it might be well worth it for $100. And since it’s not aria or wynn, the agent would probably jump on that tip (as long as he/she has a say over suites).

I just stayed there sun-thu five nights. But since I was solo, I was fine with the renovated pyramid room. But now thinking about it, it was very slow time for the hotel and a suite could ve been had easily.

4. Travelingman

Travelingman Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The $20 trick is part of the Vegas game in my opinion. A hotel that is half filled during a slow time or a Vegas convention. Feeling comfortable asking is part of the strategy. Even if I get turned down, I'm happy I tried besides I'm in Vegas with Steakhouses, Buffets and Shows.

5. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OMG in Heaven everyone. You are checking into a hotel room in Vegas not exchanging documents at Checkpoint Charlie. Be nice when you check in and tell the attendant you have a $20 if she can appreciably upgrade you. The nonsense and anxiety expended into hiding a $20 in a "sandwich" is incredulous to me.

I Like to Drink and Gamble
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. sinnerman

sinnerman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Come on man, it's so much cooler when you do it as a sandwich. Like palming the doorman at the club a $20 that fits perfectly in the palm of your hand like in the mob movies :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmmm....it is pretty cool to palm a $20 for the doorman at a club.

I Like to Drink and Gamble
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After reading, you will probably think, "Dude you are over thinking it."

When placing the $20 between Driver's License and Credit Card, is it a single fold?
    Do you make sure part of it sticks out?
    Have it even fell out and/or the person doesn't notice (say on topic now;)).
    Do you do set up this configuration before approaching the counter or sort of in front of the person so they know its there?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. drfishalot

drfishalot Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I make sure I ask for something worth some money like a suite. I usually use a $100 bill I hold in my hand while I ask for complimentary upgrade in plain view. I don't hand it over unless I get The upgrade

10. drfishalot

drfishalot Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For whatever reason $20 when asking for a suite seems stupid. In by the way I am a tightwad. But if you're gonna upgrade to a suite for 3 or 4 days a $100 would Probably be a bargain

11. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha, I'm not sure you are "over thinking it" but you definitely are planning and thats a good thing.

I actually had to set mine up here and see how I do it.

Here is how I do it and my observations. Largely this is at the Palazzo, but I've also used it to various degrees of success at all CET properties outside of Cromwell and PH, as well as a few off-strip and DT properties.

While in line I fold the $20 twice. That way its small enough that it fits between the two cards without sticking out but thick enough its clearly there. I hand the clerk the sandwich with a big smile/hello/friendly conversation (frankly, I think being friendly and sociable and apprecaitive is just as effective (if not moreso) than the $20). Normally the clerk kind of rubs the cards together and sees whats there and nonchalantly places the $20 down or keeps it there. Sometimes they ask if you need change or if you realized it was there. If so, I acknowledge its there, confirm its for them, and possibly make a small request (hoping for a good view / upgrade / waived resort fee / [fill in the blank].

More than once the $20 has fallen out onto their keyboard/workstation - which can prompt the discussion above. I've never had them not notice, and only once has the clerk not understood the point which made for a bit of an awkward interaction.

12. AlPal

AlPal Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ask for a complimentary upgrade with a $20 in my hand, if something is given they get it. If not, it goes back in my pocket. I’d say I’m 90-95% doing it this way.

13. Jer

Jer “The Walrus has spoken”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally agree... I hold the $20 up and say something to them to the effect of, “this could be yours if...”. They know, and if it can be accepted they will do what they can if they are down for the process.

14. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't offer any money. I just smile and have pleasant conversation. I get upgraded about 1/3 of the time. If the upgrade is really nice I come back downstairs and go up to the boothling in between customers and give them a $20 bill.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Scenario 1 : sandwich trick and ask for upgrade.
    Scenario 2 : Show them the $20 and ask for upgrade.
    Scenario 3 : Ask for upgrade without any offering.

How much of a difference in success rate do you really think there is between these 3 scenarios?

16. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Dogs have owners, cats have staff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since Vegas is kickback city, I would think the cash incentive is important. I personally wouldn't ask for something without putting something up in return.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ruark

Ruark Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What do you think is the most effective "line" to use in the $20 trick? The one I've probably heard the most often is "... any complimentary upgrades available?"

Another approach is to ask for a room that's NOT an upgrade, but with the tip, they'll upgrade it, without you having to ask for it specifically. For example, slip them the $20 and ask, "If you have one, I'd really like a room on a high floor..." That also relieves them of the pressure of having to, in effect, say "no."

Incidentally, my success with this has been about 50/50. I don't do the "sandwich" thing, folding it up real tiny and hiding it between two cards; that seems kinda silly and pretentious. I just leave it unfolded and hand it over with my card.

You know, this is becoming such a well-known trick, I'm very curious just how many of these the average clerk gets in a day.....

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  18. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't do the $20 trick very often because I stay mostly downtown and they don't have much flexibility on rooms.
    Sometimes when I do try it I might say something like "since the hotel is not really full".....

19. bull1029

bull1029 Mr. Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've used it downtown at 4Q several times, scoring a jacuzzi suite. Used it at Fremont two or three times, and got a mini suite, which is bigger than their standard room, with a nice sized bathroom. Been turned down at MSS (apparently only hosts book suites). Got a free upgrade at GN by just asking. That time we got a room in the north tower.

• Informative Informative x 3
  20. SimonG

SimonG Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It always depends on lots of factors. So whether or not someone else had success yesterday won't change your odds.

Length of stay, friendliness (or financial desperation) of clerk, hotel occupancy, which manager is on duty, random other convenient timing for your room type not being available.

It just boils down to asking ~ worst case outcome is that you end up in the room that you booked for $0 tip?

• Agree Agree x 1
Tags: