1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Looking to upgrade from Basil Hayden

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by 93 Octane, Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've heard good things regarding both knob creek and bulliet.TY

2. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Both are good. Both have secrets.

Bulliet, for example, is mass-produced industrial alcohol distilled by MGP. They cook up Bulliet's recipe, send them the raw dog, and Bulliet then barrels and ages the stuff to their liking. Everything except the flavor is hype. But it is a very good bourbon when said and done.

Knob Creek is Jim Beam. Only handled differently. When they find barrels that fit the mix, they kick them out of the regular rickhouse and send them to a special area, where they can be tweaked to become Knob Creek. Only difference is the bottle proof and the age. And the way it was mixed. Therein lies the magic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we started drinking bourbon, it was bulleit, knob Creek, and Maker's Mark. Still would drink any of them, but they're not my preferences for drinking neat or on ice.

But we like bourbon cocktails quite a bit! Husband prefers a Manhattan. Ward 8 is my favorite, but I like an Old Fashioned too. And we both enjoy a Scofflaw.

For ice - we use a large silicone mold with our RO water to make cubes. Have thought about getting freezer stones, but I actually prefer bourbon with a little water in it, so... (That's another taste test we did ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Timbuck

Timbuck Low-Roller

Buffalo Trace is my “go to”. Similar to Basil Hayden. About $25 a bottle.
    When I feel like an “upgrade” I get “Legent”. It’s a bourbon made by a Japanese whiskey maker. It is amazing. Try it. About $50 a bottle.

I haven’t tried anything much more expensive that $50ish per bottle.

These will also find their way into my liquor cabinet.
    Bulleit
    Makers
    Angels Envy
    Woodford Reserve
    Four Roses Small Batch
    High West

I haven’t found a bourbon that I “hate”, but I can definitely tell a difference between a $20 bottle of a $30+ dollar bottle.
    I like a big ice cube (not ready for “neat” yet).

5. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ooh, we've cleaned out some Delta flights of their Woodford bottles ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My go to bourbon is Buffalo Trace and Makers Mark, but I’m favoring Irish Whisky. I recently picked up a bottle of Black Bush and really liked it. My other faves are Redbreast 12 and Green Spot.

• Like Like x 1
  7. julia

julia VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like 4 Roses single barrel. Picked up a bottle at the distillery and have been savouring it.

8. progrocker2112

progrocker2112 Watch out for this guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Their distillery tour is pretty awesome, eh?

9. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First step is learning why Bourbon is different from whiskey (Kentucky born). My go to is Woodford, but if you can’t get Pappy’s (you can’t get Pappy’s), try Weller’s or any wheated Bourbon. Like any whiskey, a few drops of water or an ice cube will ease the burn.

Bros are back!
  10. progrocker2112

progrocker2112 Watch out for this guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wellers is great but also increasingly hard to find. At least in panther city.

11. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you like Basil Hayden's, then you will likely like another high-rye whiskey like 4 Roses, Bulliet, or anything else distilled by Beam like Hayden's is. For a high-wheat bourbon, the classics are Maker's and Weller if you can find it.

Still, IMO, the best high-rye out there is Wild Turkey 101 or any of its siblings like Rare Breed and Kentucky Spirit.

12. telero

telero Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lots of good suggestions. I prefer the wheated bourbons myself, so Maker's and Weller in particular. Didn't see anyone mention Eagle Rare, but it is definitely one of my favorite and not too expensive either.

• Like Like x 2
  13. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

Didn't see any Japanese whiskeys listed. Hibiki is within your price range and a solid choice at that.

Otherwise, here's what I usually go for (in no particular order):
    - Bulleit Rye
    - IW Harper 15 Year
    - Elijah Craig (any)
    - Four Roses Single Barrel
    - Misunderstood (different flavor profile than what you're looking for but really good imo)

14. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

I also forgot whistle pig :)

15. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for bringing up the Japanese whisky as I saw Suntory(sp) and was intrigued.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most bars stock Bulleit Rye, so when I’m out having a Manhattan, that’s my call. Elijah Craig and Four Roses are both good, I need to try IW Harper 15 year.

I picked up a bottle of Evan Williams Bottled In Bond, it’s 100 proof and very good for the price, great with a couple ice cubes as it dilutes the high proof a bit.

I picked this up a couple months ago, Nikka Whiskey From The Barrel. It’s a blend of single malts and grain whiskies aged in different barrels, it’s 51.4 ABV. I read that there is a shortage of Japanese Whiskeys due to popularity.

85DF343E-145B-4B19-86B6-B29CFD3AAC95.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    • Love Love x 1
  17. Ladeda

Ladeda Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A Northern KY person here who drinks a bit of bourbon.

Honestly, the one person who suggested going to a bar and tasting bourbons is spot on. That or befriending someone who has a nice collection that you can sample from.

Personally, the 5 bottles I have drank the most this year are Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, ($52ish) Old Forester 1920 ($59ish,) Eagle Rare ($28ish,) Buffalo Trace ($23 ish) and Four Roses Single Barrel ($34ish.) As always, your price is going to be different than my price in KY.

Be on the lookout for store picks, as those taste better than regular bottles 99 times out of 100.

Also, maybe try a Rye. Personally, I don't like Rye's, but Rye's are becoming more popular and you have more options.

As always, price check. Some liquor stores like to jack up the prices on allocated bourbon, so just avoid that. These are bottles like Blanton's, Weller's, even Eagle Rare. GL finding BTAC or Pappy, with the latter being overrated.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

Yeah that's why I'm trying to horde the Japanese whiskys

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If your travels take you to the Keystone State, you might want to check out what’s available at a local store. The PA Liquor Control Board is one of the largest buyers of wine and spirits, but they are as nimble as an oil tanker at full throttle when it comes to pricing to market.

• Like Like x 1
  20. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.