1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Frontier Airline question

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by IWannaBeInVegas, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have always flown Southwest but am flying Frontier on the next trip. I know you have to pay for everything but I note they say a small backpack can be carried on for no cost.

I have a normal size backpack (not child sized), it would fit under the seat even with my clothes in it but I was curious if I would be able to get away with carrying it as a freebie or if there would be a charge, anyone have experience here? Someone at my job said they carried a backpack all the time and don't pay for it but have not used them in 6 months or so

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew Frontier last week from Cleveland to Vegas--same situation as you---had no problem and no one questioned me that it was normal size...no one cared...if its noticeably massive then yes you may be questioned otherwise you have nothing to worry about.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the reply. Once I pack my clothes in it I will have to decide if to try or not, I am flying out of Cinci. My best friend is flying from Cleveland and he can bring my stuff in his checked bag but then I would be paying half the luggage fee he paid (im cheap, what can I say).

4. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got one of those last minute $15 flights to LV last week---no way in fuckville Im paying $70 RT for a bag by itself---honestly, with it being 75 during the day and 50 at night, I brought short sleeves for the day and long sleeves at night---I wore long sleeves ONE TIME ONLY--literally never had to change. I was by myself and didnt go anywhere that required me to dress up so technically I overpacked.

5. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thats my issue, how can I pay $80 for a backpack round trip that is going to fit under my seat. I am there four days, I am sure everything I need I can fit in my bag. Otherwise I am paying my friend $40 to pack my stuff in his bag and he does not get there until midnight, I am there 1030am

6. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Youll be good with a bookbag----If I travel alone to LV---I will only do a bookbag. I did notice though as you said that when I was booking my flight they dumbed down the "personal item" to a kids backpack----Im sure tons of people back a big bookbag to avoid a $70 carry on or checked bag---same with Spirit.

7. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thats what I am afraid of, get there and they say its not a kids size and charge the gate price for the bag. Its a gamble

8. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Trust me, you are good. There literally nothing to worry about. They probably have that policy of a kids backpack because so many people overpack and have huge massive bookbags and instead of putting them under the seat, they put them overhead (which Ive done as well to give me more leg room)

9. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I will give it a try. Surely wont be over packed, just enough for Mon/Tues/Wed as I arrive Sunday and leave at 1am Thurs and well, to be honest I wont be going anywhere I need to dress up or anything for. Jeans and a t-shirt/hoodie is about it

10. wesraft

wesraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    8'X18"X14" They have a template but you should be able to tape it at home. It's decent sized. You might have a bag already at home, Backpack, gym bag, etc. that will fit just fine. All you need is to be able to stuff it in the template and they will almost certainly not challenge you unless you are obviously much larger than regs.

11. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I may make a template but I don't live far from the airport here, maybe just take it there and give it a try

12. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A messenger bag or a backpack will be fine! I’ve carried normal backpacks on Frontier and Spirit and both meet the “personal item” requirement, no extra cost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. LvBlitzforce

LvBlitzforce VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just flew with them last week no one said anything and really didnt seem to care about anything lol. I actually just ended up putting my bag in the overhead bin both ways with no problem. DO NOT ORDER OR CHARGE ANYTHING ON BOARD

Ive flown twice with them now and both times they double charged my card and it was a huge hassle. Also they try to sneak it in... like they didnt do the second charge until like 10 days after the original. Shtty airline but those 15 dollar flights are just too good to pass up.

14. cg123

cg123 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's a trick....kinda. I fly Frontier all the time.. I usually only bring my "personal item", which for me is a full sized backpack. It fits under the seat, but snugly. But I am 6'4" and really need that leg room under the seat. Trick is, the gate crew are the ones responsible for enforcing the bag restrictions. They see all I have is a backpack so on to the plane I go. Once I'm on the plane, you can bet your ass my backpack is going in the overhead bin. The flight attendants don't know what bags I have paid for, or more likely, don't care. Done it many a times and nobody has ever questioned me or asked me to move it.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    they don't care because so few people pay for a carry on that it isn't an issue

16. cg123

cg123 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly. Bins are almost all but empty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the feedback, its much appreciated. More than likely my first gamble of the trip I guess. My best friend offered to put my stuff in his luggage for half his baggage fee which would make my airport a breeze with nothing to carry around

18. unomas

unomas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had the opposite problem. Since I am usually a southwest flyer and they stopped their nonstop flight to vegas from Philadelphia, I too had to find a new ride. Frontier popped up and offered a no frills nonstop flight. I researched the plane and found they have 4 rows of extra space seats. (row 1,2,3 and 13) So, I actually paid for my seat in row 2 only to find out I didn't have any bag space overhead! I was not happy and learned that the flight attendance also don't have specific space for their bags and they of course take over most of the first overhead space. So, row one had to use row two's space.....etc. I obviously complained as I was not going to put my bag anywhere but above or below me. Luckily I had a back pack and that went between my feet. Next time I flew I picked row 3 only to witness the same overhead problems. (but for that flight we checked our bags) In a test my next flight I booked row 13 and hope I have overhead space?
    Cheers

19. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Im just going to have a backpack so under my seat it goes

20. sinnerman

sinnerman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As others have said, I have carried a normal backpack through frontier, no problem. As long as it fits in the seat underneath you, they are fine with it. And, since frontier bins are mostly empty, you can always place the backpack in the overhead bin during the flight anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.