1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A brief visit in photos and a few words ... this past weekend

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by ken2v, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Tapas tasting lunch on Saturday ...

QZN917r9SIq+o7bxNWJW1g.jpg

Roasted tom and pimenton gazpacho, endibias (endive, goat cheese, orange, almond, sherry vinaigrette); potatoes with spicy tom sauce and aioli; sautéed spinach with pine nuts, apple, raisins; Catalan pork sausage with roasted bell and onion; rabbit and chicken paella.

Five stars, one dud (the dry paella). I had a lousy Tenaya Creek IPA and then a very good Tempranillo. Terri had the Citrico G&T and then getting home last night promptly found the recipe; she was smitten.

We were thinking about pizza but the line was nearly out the hall and a sit-down with service just sounded better, anyway.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 3
  2. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love love love the gazpacho - and that they seem to be seasonal (whenever I go there)! How were the patatas bravas? :D The aioli sounds fabulous.

Also I love that pork sausage.

3. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tenaya Hop Ride or Gypsy Fade? I've had underwhelming experiences with both depending on tap location. But CET is starting to pick up the latter at some bars, so there's that. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gypsy Fade.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saturday dinner ...

p7RmYwtZRii69G1kpNn5Lg.jpg

B5%KAvQjQGKukoLI6Jve0Q.jpg

It had been many many moons since my last visit, and this was Terri's first. Price creep has hit CC, with 50s and 60s, but it remains with a few goodies -- starter, starch, veggie. Steaks get a B grade, so better than average but nothing stellar. I think the time has come to re-do the tired place/package. And by god Circus Circus is a shithole. But the wine we brought was OK.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saturday night at Wynn ...

x8Z12PfaQWqbMu28nwTH2w.jpg zb6gT7WrRO+IRmhG59OA6w.jpg 9JB+pn%xQAKg1U70WbA%BQ.jpg

Most all of the classics, several of his solo pieces and a few songs from Woodstock originally performed by others ... and his kid NAILED Hendrix's anthem. So worth it. So so worth it.

Funny, but we recently saw Stu and Cosmo at the county fair with Revisited.

• Like Like x 8
    • Love Love x 1
  7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sunday breakfast ... oh my ...

fullsizeoutput_a15.jpeg gVGqK+xZSKyv3zskW1EVHQ.jpg 4nrPXFvRRVuULLIaSHuegg.jpg fullsizeoutput_a1d.jpeg 1SNv4dQ5R4y4KziH595sHQ.jpg +Nm3RoFfQn6fBOVZCUPB+Q.jpg g+muYQLbTxybAB2B55Oc3A.jpg dtCwNSqFSy2HRXAZNl0Jug.jpg

Out west on Buffalo just south of the parkway. And how is it we missed this place over the decades??? We eat all over the valley and have since our first visit. Breakfast is always a key experience and this is now on our list of go-to spots, at the top ... and we've done most all of 'em, it seems. I'm not saying it's the "best" because that's a bit of an absurd concept. It certainly rings our bells ... resonantly And a cool bit is that Vegas version of lagniappe that shows up first -- bagel chips and a specialty cream cheese, in this case roasted sweet potato and pecans. Wowza good.

• Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And we made it downtown ...

Ze%phJrCR0mHucjcot0Xug.jpg SjrQffA0T0Oyp1hsNcAogQ.jpg fullsizeoutput_a16.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow ken you rubbed shoulders with the unwashed masses downtown! Must be a blue moon out. Makes me think you also secretly visited Ellis Island, come on admit it.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    fullsizeoutput_a1e.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gotta hit the conservatory when in town ...

0txID6+nSUSPSYjK+XJD5Q.jpg P9iRCFDETz28KqUjmCXS6Q.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  12. Dutch34

Dutch34 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guess I’ll be visiting the Bagel cafe this weekend. Looks amazing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oops, need quads for scratchers ... and look at that short-pay schedule at, heavens, Main Street Station.

OsAs1PvUSYGiK+oICfuvcA.jpg GMXeRf6sQGu6j1GUkH%UJQ.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  14. RedChip

RedChip VIP Guppy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was there Saturday night too! Amazing show! Lots of energy. Keyboardist and dummer solos gave me chills. Agree...so worth it!

One night at the Gambling Hall...
    ...followed by two nights downtown
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Great Ken !
    Thanks for posting
    I noticed Fogarty's row of amps facing skyward --
    Must be a "VOLUME !" issue ?
    Those Rickenbacker ( sp ? ) guitars look cool.....but...
    the ones I've played.....the necks feel like a log of wood.
    He's the best American pop songwriter/performer !

• Like Like x 1
  16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We set up this trip a month or so ago. As I've stated elsewhere, we inherited a timeshare from family and needed to burn some points that are expiring right after the new year. We put in to Hilton Grand Vacation Club south of Sahara on Friday night and left Monday morn. The location's not all that but on Saturday we hoofed down to Cosmo and back, seeing some of the needed sights, getting that lunch at Jaleo and picking up our tickets for that night's concert. With the easy parking situation at Wynncore we drove down for the concert. We went out toward/to Summerlin on Sunday, did some shopping at REI after breakfast, fueled up the car at Costco and headed downtown -- as evidenced by the photos. Several hours at the Mob Museum then a (so-so) IPA at Triple 7 -- it tasted like a lager with some hops -- and a spot of gambling at Boar's Head where a horridly short-pay machine dispensed two 4oaks in a hurry.

The drive home on Sunday was largely uneventful though convoluted. We hit the road before 10a and traffic just flew, I mean flew. There were the usual assholes trying to dart into nearly nonexistent gaps from the right lane but that's standard behavior. Now the glitch was iOS mapping telling us the 58 was closed between Barstow and Boron. WTF? No CalTrans signs but Siri is rather insistent, telling us to route down to Victorville/Hesperia and across Pearblossom to Palmdale, then north on the 14 to Mojave. Against my gut instinct we trusted Apple Maps. When we hit the river I finally decided to ignore the app and headed across to 395, with Siri screaming most of the way. When we hit the 395 "she" finally approved the route back up to Four Corners. Five miles down the road we were told to turn around and head back south to Pearblossom. By this point I figured IF the 58 was down we'd just continue on 395 and loop back down into Mojave. Sure as shit, we crest the hill and traffic is flying both directions on the 58. As it turns out the OLD route was indeed closed because the new section is open, but the software/algorithm/whatever couldn't sort that out.

I never use Apple Maps, always Google. When I did my last iOS refresh Apple took it upon itself to put Apple Maps where my Google Maps app had been on page 1 of my screen. Terri just hit the icon where it always is (was) and, voila, GIGO. Fuck you, Apple. Google/Waze had the route as open. Hey, we had an extra hour do enjoy the Mojave Desert splendor!!

Dropping down from Tehachapi it was just a bummer seeing the layer of CRAP that is air "quality" in the Central Valley this time of year. I know, I know, Ag Rules. You still don't have to like it. I grew up in So Cal before the air cops really turned things around and the air quality is consistently worse here from late summer until the winter storms arrive than it was in the LA basin when I was a kid in the '60s.

A few more pics are coming.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heaven? No, better, it's Triple 7, Main Street Station, Downtown Las Vegas!!!

cD%OBAzzTCyVqwEaBtHIvQ.jpg Ly4qSQ8KRIut%U3PiFKM7w.jpg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And then there is Wynncore ...

OfwS78BNQCWK8F5MLmqh+w.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sunday dinner and.a really nice, niche Pinot we brought with us ...

FAdNSKRTTOmjifFTWEQAGA.jpg

peUIwGjUTgeq4YkghgecLA.jpg

I can only guess how long it's been since I dined at Pamplemousse. It has to go back into the guidebook days so 12 years or so. Terri's first visit. We went light, opting not to try one of the two five-course options -- well, four plus granité which I don't consider a course. So we split the paté starter and Grand Marnier soufflé dessert. I had salmon in a Champagne-butter-herb sauce and Terri had the hanger. Pample is somewhat funky -- and no freakin' bar (beer, wine only) -- though well worth a try. And they have a really cool literal basket of crudités:

CWsn0j1GSWqODlMZ2LAFtA.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Slumming is fun!!! Now where's that steak?!?!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.