1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Windows 7

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by runningonthehub, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me too. That's why I'm keeping the old pc's and using them for most of my work.

I did try to create a dual boot on my newer laptop but couldn't get the other OS to load windows 7.

In the 70's I worked on an IBM 370 I think. I still have those punch cards. At one time I was using them to write notes on. When I got into computer science I remember punching out my program on the cards. Once I had them in a box and I dropped the box and the cards flew all over. After that I always drew diagonal lines across those punch cards, just in case.

When I got to the university I was trying to get into the electrical engineering program. I think my first computer I used was a BCC 500. To get into EE I had to take computer courses but when I started taking those computer courses I enjoyed programming (at the time, lol) so I switched over to computer science as my major.

It was funny because many of the programs I had to work on (in class) were game types (like tic tac toe subroutine). I had fun doing those programs. Didn't realize that work environment wouldn't be as fun as the game stuff. especially after I graduated and got out in the real world.

2. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still on Win7 at home. Unless my computer dies, still plan to be on that OS.

3. MCann

MCann I can't complain, but sometimes I still do...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I havent upgraded my personal machines to Win7 yet. I do software engineering professionally so I have work PCs, one with Win7 and one with 10. Also have an XP VM to run certain software that doesnt play nice on the newer stuff and is required for debugging some of our legacy assets. Absolutely HATE Windows 10, as well as server versions 2008 and newer. They're actually harder to use and less functional than server 2003 in terms of my job because of stupid changes they made to the core of how web server (IIS) configuration works.

Computers I own personally? My laptop is running XP64 (fun fact - that's actually based on Server 2003 and not WinXP but about the same to the casual user) and I have a much higher end PC in a home music studio that boots to XP by default, but technically is a dual boot to Win7. Neither of my personal machines is connected to the internet 24/7. The music PC has thousands of bones in software all dependent on some really expensive hardware that doesnt totally work in 7, and I don't want to re-buy. I have backup images of the system hard drives and still have all the installation media if I need to replace motherboard etc. I've already done this once.

In summation, Win > 7, get off my lawn!

And to answer the OP question, I'll keep right on doing what I'm doing. Those OS's were prior to the days of subscription SaaS and the constant need for internet validation / self esteem problems of more modern software, and there isnt anything they can do to make them stop working.

4. Housecat

Housecat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I too hated Win 10 when it first came out. I still don't like the interface as much as 7, but under the hood, it's a no brainer not to migrate. You'll get used to the interface after a while, and you can still add things like quick launch bar. Security, driver compatibly for new hardware, network stack, new job uses Win 10 etc. are just some examples of why you should migrate.

Once 7 goes EOL, use VMs to run your non-compatible programs, but I wouldn't recommend connecting them to the internet...

And this is coming from someone who refused to pay bills online, bought CDs instead of downloading on iTunes etc and paid cash at grocery stores. Not many people do those anymore right? So just go for it.

5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still buying CDs, have never appled or ituned anything ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  6. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed. The original version of 10, which was basically designed for touchscreens, was terrible, but it's a lot, lot better now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Win 10 has been stable for me so far, but I have only been running it since February. It is Win 10 Pro, 64 bit version. I have considered trying one of the Linux builds, but have yet to do it.

I ran XP Pro for many years and liked it, but could not run a lot of newer stuff on it. I never used 7 and only used Vista briefly at my last job before retiring.

8. GabrielBFly

GabrielBFly Vegas Aficionado

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's Windows? :goofy:

The Celebration of Mimi
    • Like Like x 1
  9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I lied. In 1989, I had an apple II GS. That is the last & only apple product I intend to own....[yes, I've used them - my husband has a mac and ipods, I do not like them, I HATE the itunes model, and the whole company is just not for me, so....I've made my bed with evil Gates, I shall lie in it.....]

10. tallsamoan

tallsamoan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ubuntu show-off?? o_O

11. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have two Win 7 Desktops at home and a Win 10 laptop. Took me a few hours to find and shut off all the unnecessary Win 10 crap. Forced to switch to a new machine Win 10 desktop at work, took 2 days to get it the way I wanted.

I'm not switching from Win 7 at home until shit I need stops doing what I need it to do.

Why they can't just make the OS more robust and secure and add features without renaming and moving all the existing features and configs around, I don't understand.

I mean, they spent 15 years burying the highway that runs through Boston, but it's still I-93. And the Aquarium right next to it is still where it used to be, it's still called the Aquarium, it still has fish tanks, and the entrance is still on the ground level in front instead of on the roof in the back..

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  12. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep.
    If anything, Microsoft's pulling this will just motivate me to back up everything on my PC...something I've always put-off.
    So, when Win 7 eventually fails, I can rebuild everything with a new PC.
    I am incredibly disappointed with their doing this... I've been OK with the changes up through to 7 (3.1 to 95 to 98 to XP to 7), but ever since, (8, Vista, 10) the changes have been crap - adding features I don't want, dropping features I do want, building in assumptions of what they think I need & adding telemetry features so that internet activity can be tracked - to better target advertising to the user.
    Sorry, but crap like that just pisses me off.
    If they don't want to support their product, that's certainly their choice - but it speaks volumes to those customers who will go with Win 10... but only if they care - it's only a matter of time before your Win 10 support will die (or possibly kill your computer) - and their "solution" will be to sell you a 'brand new OS' that they will claim is better... but - guaranteed - it will have even more insidious features than 10 does.

If Microsoft folks are reading this, please pass this along as one customer's sincere advice:
    1. Don't pre-load ANY 3rd party apps!
    2. Default setting needs to be "telemetry OFF", with a double "are you sure?" pop-up if you try to turn it "ON"
    3. Allow the customer to EASILY disable or remove ANY program on the computer without such impacting the OS...(you'd think they would have learned this with Win95 & the Netscape/Explorer fiasco!)
    4. Do NOT automatically "recommend" ANY non-Microsoft products to me. Period. You want to advertise? Fine. Don't use MY machine to do it.
    5. 3rd party software (as well as "old" Microsoft software) needs to able to work on your "new" system. Back-compatible settings used to be a thing with MS. This ability is a MUST. If I want to load my 2010 version of MS Office on my machine, I should be able to do so. Forcing me to buy the Office "subscription" is, in my view, an anti-trust violation...something I would have also thought they learned with Netscape/Explorer.
    6. No more "Nag-ware". I don't want unsolicited pop-ups from MS "alerting" me (more than once) that I need to upgrade/purchase software from them. If I tell you the first time that I'm not interested, that should be it.
    7. Do not hide new forms of telemetry or tracking in ANY MS "updates". Period. If I want you to be able to track me, I'll activate "telemetry" on my machine (see #2 above).
    8. The 'Task Manager' must be easily accessible. I want to be able to see what's running on my machine anytime I wish... and disable/delete anything I want.
    9. Ensure that ANY OS updates are fully compatible with ANY MS product already loaded on my machine...otherwise, do NOT update my machine without warning me that doing so will (for example) disable my 2010 version of Office.
    10. Contrary to what Microsoft has become used to, we are NOT your unpaid beta-testers. Quit putting out defective software with the plan that customers will identify the problems with it... unless you want to pay us.

Annual Spring Trip!
  13. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's exactly what Windows 10 is doing with their semi-annual updates (1709, 1803, 1903, etc.)

14. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Updates and service packs are mostly bug fixes and critical security stuff. They don't affect what you see and how you interact with stuff

I'm talking about design changes.

15. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    These aren't service packs like the old days. Each semi-annual update introduces new features and potential design changes. 1903 has few design changes to the start bar. There's been articles about how Windows 10 could be the last OS Microsoft releases.

16. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, you made me look. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True story today that made me think of this thread.

The guys in the systems area got a new toy/tool today, and instead of a printed manual, TFM came as a supposed Word Doc file on this itty-bitty CD or DVD.

Well, they were running all around asking us "what version of Word do you have?" and such, 'cuz Genuine Microsoft Word would not properly read this document. It would pull up all of the text fine, but the illustrations and graphics were all wonky. What was strange is that different Word versions would give different wonky graphics displays, but none of them close to correct. How in the world can you RTFM when TFM will not display?

Anyway, they finally tried one of the CAD stations which uses Linux and has Libre Office on it and BINGO! Perfect display, both text and graphics.

So much for the Standard Of The Industry, huh? :)

18. Golfer

Golfer Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All new workstations and hardware except server. The cloud server and cloud management system isn’t my problem, except the monthly invoice. Absolutely necessary due to security concerns. I’ll get it done for under 10K. My IT contractor told me Microsoft’s support of 10 will be shorter than previous versions.

It’s frustrating to have to destroy all the old hardware, but that really needs to be done to protect myself from lawsuits. I’d rather donate, but that isn’t wise given the liability involved. Some people say differently, and that’s fine if they want to pledge / risk their net worth, but I won’t be risking my net worth taking faulty advice from some wanna be computer guru.

It’s the cost of business. I’m assuming 10 - 50 K every 4 to 6 years. And it’s going to get more frequent and more expensive.

19. jack v

jack v MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After reading this thread, I checked and my last windows 7 update was in march of 2016, I have updates turned off, computer runs great. I recall a time when you needed to get a new one every 4-5 years, I've had this one since 2011. I do have another tablet.

20. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have one Windows 10 desktop that is slow and I only use for printing, Word, copying disks, and tax software. Have 2 Chromebooks that are used for everything else and I really like them. They're cheap, never lockup, don't get infected. Let me go on record saying that the last good OS Microsoft made was XP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.