1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone use Advantage Rental Car?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by MGinCO, Nov 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually book Dollar or Budget, but right now, Advantage has the best price, for Sat., 11/16 evening arrival.
    (Due to UNLV/Hawaii game, rentals are higher this trip.)

I will have to go to the counter for Advantage vs right to cars for Dollar/Budget, but my price for a midsize car is $40 cheaper with Advantage. My code is even cheaper than going through Costco.

Any opinions on Advantage or should I stay with Dollar/Budget?

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our travel department used to use them regularly back when they were the little sister of Hertz. I never had any trouble with them at all.

However, Hertz sold them and shortly afterwards a cow-orker reported seeing the line waaaaay backed up.

I haven't used them since.

3. dukeofdarby

dukeofdarby High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    have used them on occasions when their price was considerably lower and had no issues----short wait,pleasant counter people,had the car that I signed up for

4. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it was closer to $10 diff, I'd go with Dollar or Budget, but $40 is worth it for me to wait in line.

5. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've used Advantage before and had no problems. Their price was best and we booked through our Boyd bconnected card for a further 10% discount.

6. drfishalot

drfishalot Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Used them 2 weeks ago and Vegas. It was cheaper car , was fine , piece of crab, but fine.

7. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used them before. No problems. Yes, their lines can get long during certain times of the day but that isn't the norm.

Just be aware of the "hard sell" for added coverage, lock out charges, etc.

One thing I always do, I make a copy of my reservation. If they charge more than what was on my reservation I go through the bill with a fine toothed comb to find out why they are charging more than my reservation. As mentioned above (a few years ago) I would find a daily lock out charge added onto my bill. No problem, I just ask them to remove any extra charges. But I've noticed higher charges for many rental agencies also.

Also beware, last year the advantage clerk showed me a list of cars (upgraded cars) and said that they were available for me. I didn't find out until they showed me the bill that all they did was upgrade me and bill me for the upgrade. I said "no thanks", I rather take my original reservation. What happened was that a car wasn't available for my original reservation so they wanted me to pay for the upgrade. Because a car wasn't available they had to upgrade me for free. This only happened once although they do try to push upgrades so just beware of the upgrade scams.

But I usually make 2 reservations from different agencies "just in case". I had to use the backup reservation a couple of times, had problems with the initial reservation so just walked to my backup reservation.

8. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a member of their program, so I get a free upgrade anyways.
    There also is an Expressway Line, so that should be faster.

I also checked via Boyd, but my discount I had, was even cheaper, plus free upgrade to Std car.

I will book "just in case" via Costco, if I see a decent price the week before.

9. Cardeater

Cardeater Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've used advantage a bunch of times. They try hard to upsell you the extras. I just act like a robot and say decline everything

I always reserved the economy.car bc I don't think they even have any on the lot. I've never gotten one. Last few times, I ended up with a diesel Jetta wagon.

It is funny that they try to upsell.me on the upgrade and then when I decline, some say "Congratulations, were out of economy cars.so.you.fet a free upgrade.

No matter where intent, I always document dage with oics.and video. I'll say that advantage in LAS is fair with the damage. They don't try to look for every little scratch like some local Enterprise locations do.

If you know the drill, Advantage is okay to use. the rewards are decent. When I was renting often, ingot a bunch of free days and weekends I let a bunch expire but I was surprised how many i had.

If I didn't currently have Presidents Circle fromHertz, I'd probably still.be using Advantage in LAS.'

10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One thing I liked back in the days of Advantage being Hertz Junior was that at the time there was no assertive upselling at the desk. I guess that has changed under New Management.

11. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Right now I have $147 all in, for 6 days.
    Kia Forte or free Upgrade to VW.

12. BlackJackLady

BlackJackLady High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have used them in the past, usually cheaper than the others, the do try to Hard sell the insurance. Watch what car they assign you, we reserved an intermediate (Malibu) and they gave us keys to an economy (KIA). They didn't have a Malibu on the lot and tried to charge to "upgrade" me from the Kia. No my reservation was for an intermediate I insisted on something larger because of my scooter and they finally relented and "upgraded" us to an Impala. (I think, it's been a few years ago). Right now they are the highest for my dates in May.

13. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wonderful!
    Just rebooked for $139.13 and I get a free upgrade!

Budget was listed at $152 all in, via AARP and $10 coupon.
    It may drop some more next week.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cardeater

Cardeater Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  15. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cardeater: Yes, i am using one of those codes. I don't need 2nd driver though,

16. drfishalot

drfishalot Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So update, Used Advantage on October the 17th . I made the reservation and was not with my wife when she picked up the car. Just checking an invoice email they sent me they charged her an extra $80. I still have my confirmation and price on the original 129.00. Wifes price was 208. The phone call tonight for 30 minutes was not helpful. supervisor was supposedly not available. Lesson learned, There are too many other options. I don't know how this is going to turn out yet.

17. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No matter whom I rent with, I have my printout in hand, check the bill BEFORE I leave, and recheck the receipt when I drop the car off.
    If it's off, I notify them right there, before I leave.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

yes, unfortunately they try to add on extras that you don't really need. But I get the same type of thing with Dollar, Budget and other agencies. This tacking on extras isn't just Advantage, other agencies will add them on if you aren't watching. No matter what the agency, like MGinCO I always print out a copy of my reservation and if the amount isn't the same as the bill I go through the bill to find out what extras they added.

Lesson learned, always check your reservation and bill to make sure they don't add any extras. And unfortunately you are probably out of luck to try to reason with them to get some of your money back.

One thing you can try, go through your cc company and make a claim, showing them your original reservation and that while your wife signed the papers she didn't know that they tacked on extra charges to the bill. Don't know if that will work but you're already out of $80 so it couldn't hurt to try to get some of it back.

19. mikel123

mikel123 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Advantage is a complete mixed bag for me. First time, they gave me a new Cadillac when I rented a mid-size. The last (and final time) they "upgraded" the full-size I was supposed to have to a crappy, beat up Jeep Renegade with almost 50,000 miles on it. It was in such bad shape, almost the entire damage inventory sheet was full of scratches. I felt like I was in a go-kart trying to get on the highway. I prefer to rent through Costco Travel now.

20. Cardeater

Cardeater Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a warning, if you do this to them or any other rental company, theyll likely put you on "do not rent" list.

As said above, all companies try to get you to do extras and even places like Hertz (at certain stations get complaints of unwanted charges being added ). I do like the Hertz and the like that have programs where you just skip the line and go directly to the car. Less likely to get stuff added this way, although gate agent still tried to sell me the prepaid gas at exit last time (and it was a one day rental even).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.