1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Thanksgiving plans? Right around the corner.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Valgal, Nov 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Time goes by so fast, I can't believe we are so close to Thanksgiving!

My family and I spend Thanksgiving in NYC and we like to do our big thing the day before. We see a show, and go to dinner afterwards- usually at this French Restaurant which has been a favorite. We keep the day of low key and will do a little something, and then I usually join friends that stayed in the city and we go somewhere that's open and enjoy the day and catch some football...It's a different way of spending it, I know, but we always enjoy it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  3. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Routine:
    a) standard turkey-n-trimmings
    b) football on TV
    c) in-laws

Here's something weird. This movie has been shown here at the ranch since '90. Never any inclination to change it up. Never. It's just too comfortable. Odd.

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Ken. We have a Natural Grocers that opened up here last year. I checked their website and there are 7 days left to order a Mary's Heritage Turkey. $6.99 a pound. If I was cooking I would order one. One of the best things for me since my son finally married the "right" girl is her parents do all the holidays. They have a huge house and they are entertainers and spare no expense. His in-laws are the salt of the earth and our entire family is invited over there for every holiday. They also invite lots of their family and friends. -- For me no cooking. I just bring my jiffy cornbread casserole. i have a "country" friend she has several turkeys among other types of birds - they are all pets.

Last time I made turkey dinner I ordered a bbq boneless turkey breast from New Braunfels Smokehouse -- it was very very good. -- pricey but worth taking the hassle out of it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every year, it seem like I do less and less for the Hollidays including Thanksgiving. I don't have any definite plans this year, but will most likely get together with some friend and go out to dinner. No one in my circle of friends cooks a traditional Thanksgiving dinner at home nowadays. LOL Most of my relatives are on the west coast and they also take the easy way out and either go to a restaurant or they order a precooked turkey with all of the fixings. If I had it my way, I would be in Vegas for Thanksgiving, but I just return from my Halloween trip and I have some things coming up so I can't plan another trip right now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. drac999

drac999 Loving Life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm cooking a feast (as I have at least 40 out of the past 51 years)! My kids haven't been able to come for the past few years because of Disney trip of one son and the other son working, but my oldest son will be over with his family this year. Menu (never changes):
    Turkey (usually fresh young Butterball turkey); bread stuffing made with several loafs of dried white bread which I must say is fabulous (learned it from my Mom who learned from her Mom); mashed potatoes (again fabulous made with sour cream, butter, and cream learned from my Mom); fresh yam casserole with crushed pineapple, butter, brown sugar and marshmallows; gravy from drippings and canned chilled cranberry sauce. I stuff the bird, but also make more dressing wrapped in tin foil and put in the oven an hour before dinner is done. My daughter-in-law will be bringing several pies. I'm hungry just thinking about it:)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. TableToddyy

TableToddyy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We still want to be in New York for the parade (I've always loved the parade and we both really want to watch the inflation of the balloons). But this year, we made a late decision to head to NYC and chose the week before because when we do Thanksgiving, we really want to plan more and spend more $ for a room with a view etc. I love the Christmas windows and I know we'll be there earlier than usual (for us) this year, but I hope (and have read) a few will be ready already.....

• Like Like x 1
  9. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Usually they unveil the windows a little more than a week before Thanksgiving so I think you will be able to see them!

The balloon inflation is really fun, even though it tends to get really crowded in the evening, but that should always be on the list to do once if they haven’t before!

10. Pbtrav

Pbtrav Mid level gambler.....high level drinker!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flying to Vegas the morning of Thanksgiving ...

11. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now that's funny! :D

12. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For Texas folks
    You can order a turkey online or in person at Rudy’s for $49.95, with sauce it’s $55.95. Only 1300 left at my location, having started at 1700, lol. Pickup dates Nov 25-27. Seriously, they do run out! We’ve ordered several times, but alternate cause I love basting my own turkey in the oven.

For central/south Texas folks
    Bill Miller BBQ does a decent turkey and fixings dinner or you can just order sides. Their cornbread dressing and gravy is pretty darn good.

Some other bbq joints do whole turkeys as well.

Gobble Gobble

• Like Like x 2
  13. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  14. nancyf

nancyf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are going with 8 of our friends to our local Fraternal Order of Eagles Club to have Thanksgiving dinner... cost is $6.... can't beat it!

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  15. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are doing our apparent tradition of going out to a condo on the beach here in WA. I think we've done it every Thanksgiving for the last four or five years. Mom's been coming out to spend the weekend with us since Dad died and I think it's good for her, when she can learn to relax and enjoy just hanging around.

There's a local BBQ restaurant that prepares a wonderful smoked turkey Thanksgiving dinner and delivers it on Wednesday. You just heat up everything and serve. We stop at Westport Winery and grab a few bottles of wine, stop at Brady's Oysters and Bay City Sausage for smoked fishes and meat snacks. Then it's just three days of staring at the ocean from the condo or walking on the beach, weather depending. Sometimes we go down to the lighthouse and climb to the top. Last year we did a whole jigsaw puzzle. :) It's so low key and easy, how can we resist?

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.