1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

VMB, Do you know where the f@#k you are??????

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Mr. Brownestone, Nov 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Brownestone

Mr. Brownestone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

This won’t be a normal trip report so be forwarded that I may get a bit philosophical during this one. You see, this wasn’t a normal trip to Vegas for me. We went earlier this year in May and really enjoyed ourselves and I really don’t have the budget to go twice this year. I’m really what gamblers call a bankroll nit, but not just in gambling, in life as well. I like to be ahead when it comes to finances and not using credit to buy things, I like to know I have several month’s of expenses in reserve just in case, etc.. so for us to take this trip it meant the budget would be lower than normal and likely much lower than most would be comfortable going to Vegas with, but this trip was about a concert I really wanted to see.

Special thanks to my wife because several month’s ago when I texted her that Guns N Roses was playing Vegas in November I told her (mostly joking) that my life won’t be complete if I don’t get to see this show. She immediately text me back telling me to book the trip. I called her and told her not to tempt me and she insisted we go and said she would but the tickets herself if I didn’t. She told me she appreciated all I do for her and the kids and even if we couldn’t 100% afford it that we were going. I bough the tickets that day, bought the plane tickets and booked the rooms. I honestly could not believe I was heading to my favorite place in the whole world to see my favorite band of all time.

Day 1

We have the early flight out of Pittsburgh and it’s rainy and cold with a few flurries in the air, I really hate living here. We had fairly early boarding assignments on our Southwest flight and sit only four rows from the front of the plane and have a fairly uneventful flight out and get off the plane pretty quickly. As soon as we land we get a text from our Presidential Limo driver that he is waiting in baggage for us. If you aren’t tired of me touting for Presidential Limo you likely will be soon as I can’t say enough good about them. Always on time, always professional and always take the anxiety out of travel from/too the airport. Spend the extra money and use them. Our driver gets us to the Wynn where we are staying for three of the four nights thanks to the Wynn Slot app.

At this point I’m going to give my review of the Wynn and probably piss off a few people who want like to complain about the recent changes to the app. I’ll apologize in advance if you are one of those people.

First off check in was super easy even though we were trying to check in at 9:30 and check in really isn’t until 3:00. The staff is almost too friendly boarder lining on patronizing. The gentleman checking us in let us know the room was not available but they could immediately put us in an Encore room if we wanted. We said we would wait it out as we were going to get something to eat anyway and they said they would text us when the room was ready and we could just pick keys at the kiosk. We head out to the Strip through the building and are blown away at how beautiful and clean the hotel is. The place is spotless and it’s very noticeable how much staff they have working. We walk across to the Fashion Show mall and don’t get very far before we get the text the room is ready, that was fast!

We get the room keys and head up to the room and can’t believe this is a free room via the slot app. It’s super clean, much larger than we expected and has some amenities you just wouldn’t expect. You walk in and see the king size bed, table and two chairs, love seat, desk and large TV, this is a very spacious room for a “basic” room. Checking out the bathroom it has a double sink (which I love) a tub and separate glass shower and the toilet is in a separated side room with a second privacy door. The TV is on a bracket the swings 90 degrees so you can watch TV sitting in the chairs/love seat or swing it out to watch it while you are laying in bed, pretty nice feature. Everything in the room is controlled by buttons on the wall or the Alexa device in the room. Yea, you can just tell Alexa to open the blinds and that’s what happens. It plays music, turns the lights on and off, sets the privacy notice and who knows what all else. We have one at home so we are used to using it, but for those who aren’t there is a list on the desk of things you can tell it to do in the room. How cool is that?

My wife wants to check out the pool before we head to lunch and it’s a great area, super clean, plenty of chairs and just crystal clean water. Her enjoyment of the trip will be relaxing pool side so she can’t wait to get back and find a chair after we get something to eat.

So for all of you who have not stayed at the Wynn and are complaining it’s gonna cost you a few dollars because of the recent updates to the app, stop complaining, pay them the money and enjoy a stay at what I would now consider the nicest property on the Strip. You will be blown away at how nice this place is and you will be (should be) a bit embarrassed you complained about it (I’ll move on now).

We bypass the usual “where do you want to eat” conversation and immediately agree on Five50 Pizza. We walk to Aria which was a bit farther than I thought it was. The pizza is every bit as good as we remember it was last time. While we may search the Strip for better pizza, it’s more likely we just come back here again before the trip ends.

Again, we didn’t bring a ton to gamble with so we decide day 1 will just be using the $100 in free play I have at MLife and maybe some poker. Since we are already at Aria we find a machine and let it rip. Typically neither of us are slot players because it just seems to drain the money so damn fast, but this time we actually run pretty good and cash out our $100 of free play for $148. Go us!

We make the walk back to the Wynn stopping at Walgreens for room supplies and then my wife is off to the pool. I’m gonna hit the poker room as planned and nothing really eventful happens as I buy in for $300 and cash out for $250ish. We really don’t want to eat much for dinner so it’s just snacks in the room. We are exhausted from the early flight and time change so while going to bet at 9:00 seems silly, we’ve actually been up for 20 hours.

Not a super eventful Day 1, but I do want to be somewhat rested for the concert tomorrow.

• Like Like x 14
    • Love Love x 2
  2. Mr. Brownestone

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Day 2

It’s 5:00 Vegas time but we are up and decide to shower and head to the Bellagio to hit up Palio for coffee and cinnamon rolls. We make the walk which is pretty easy at 6:30 AM and again, we are not disappointed as Palio is just as good as we remember. We walk through Bellagio comparing it to the Wynn, which I think is a very fair comparison. Both hotels are beautiful. We then walk to Caesar’s to get an idea of where the Colosseum entrance is and to our surprise there are already people in line to get in 11 hours before the show. I’m sure these are people with pit tickets who want to be in the front and are willing to waste a day of Vegas to secure their spot. God bless them, but that just isn’t my style anymore.

Day 2 was pretty uneventful except for the concert so I’m just gonna skip right to that. Warning, this is where I get a bit philosophical and show you I’m a pretty simple guy from a pretty simple background who would have never dreamed of getting to do something like this. You see this isn’t just some concert to me, these songs were the soundtrack to a misspent youth. Yes, since then I have grown up, cleaned up and certainly paid up, but regret nothing. Each of those songs reminds me of a place, a time, a friend, an experience or something that was going on as those songs played. Couple that with the fact the tour is literally named the “Not In This Lifetime” tour because even years after the band broke up and Axl was asked if the original members would ever play together again that was his reply “not in this lifetime”. I’m glad something changed because here I am sitting in Caesar’s palace with the band about to take the stage. This is real bucket list material for me.

I had never heard of the opening act, Dirty Honey, but they weren’t bad and the lead singer really gave you the impression he was very grateful to be given the opportunity to open the show for GnR. He said exactly that and the way he said it you know he meant it, almost as if he couldn’t believe he was there, I know the feeling. They play for 30 minutes or so an the stage gets set up for GnR, the screen behind the stage played their into and they walk out on stage and the place goes crazy. I STILL can’t believe I’m here. The second song on the setlist is my favorite “Mr. Brownstone” (hence my username). The show continues to get better and better as they play all their hits along with some very cool other stuff. Slash just kills it for the entire show that lasted three hours. I don’t know how he does it, he’s just not mortal. The man is a guitar god and easily my favorite. With an open mind I would probably let someone argue that he isn’t on the Mt. Rushmore of guitar players because guys like Clapton, Hendrix, Jimi Page, Eddie Van Halen, B.B. King, Chuck Berry, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc… all deserve places, and they do, but for my money the guy in the top hat isn’t bad.

Axl was as interactive with the crowd as I have ever seen him be. Perhaps as he gets older he has learned to appreciate his fans and not see them as a necessary evil. He still puts on an incredible show. his voice isn’t what it once was, but it’s been 30 years since “Appetite For Destruction” and who among us are as good at anything as we were 30 years ago? He doesn’t have that rasp in his voice the made him so famous all those decades ago, but it was still great to hear him and I don’t want to hear anyone else sing those songs. It really doesn’t matter if he still sounds like the album or not. I think that is what guys like Robert Plant get wrong.

For all the excuses guys like Plant make for not touring again it really comes down to the fact he knows he can’t hit the notes anymore and doesn’t want to embarrass himself. What he doesn’t realize is we know that, we don’t care and we just want to hear the songs again, sung by him. There isn’t a Led Zeppelin fan alive that has the money and is geographically close enough to an arena that wouldn’t go to a Zep reunion show. Robert, please, we know it isn’t 1977 anymore but WE DON’T CARE. We just want to see it again.

In any event, the show just keeps getting better song after song, hit after hit, memory after memory. There are some iconic moments to a GnR show and chief among them is Axl asking “Do you know where the f@#k you are? You’re in the Jungle Caesar, you’re gonna dieeeeeeeeeee” and of course they break into “Welcome to the Jungle”. “Paradise City” always closes the show and this was no exception. If you are a GnR fan you know this is the last song and not that you are bored or anything like that, but you are ready for it to be over because you are just spent. You’ve hear every hit, you’ve seen every iconic moment and as the song ends confetti is falling, flames are shooting from behind the stage, Axl says “Las Vegas, good……. F@#king…… night” and tosses his mic into the crowd. The boys take a bow and walk off stage.

I STILL can’t believe I’m here.

We walk back to the Wynn and head to bed having had what, for me, is among the experiences of a lifetime.

• Like Like x 17
    • Love Love x 5
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  3. Mr. Brownestone

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Day 3

We make the walk to Bellagio to hit up Palio for coffee (if it ain’t broke don’t fix it) and wander the Strip for a little while before heading back to The Wynn so my wife can hit the pool and I can bet on some football. Again, I’m low rolling it this trip as we really didn’t have this second trip in the budget this year but I really haven’t gambled much this trip so the trip budget is still well intact. I’m just going for a 3-team Round Robin with the Eagles and Colts early then the Packers for the later game. My second very minor complaint about the Wynn, which there really isn’t much they can do about it, is that the sports book is fantastic, but a bit too small. I realize a lot of seats will be reserved on NFL Sunday’s, but literally all of them were. They did have someone working the entrance that told me I could walk over to Encore and sit in their sports book, which is what I did.

Encore has a much smaller sports book but at least a place to sit, or so I thought. Just a few minutes into the first game I got tapped on the shoulder by a very friendly employee who seemed almost embarrassed that she had to tell me the seat I was sitting in was reserved. There was nothing noting that it was reserved, but nonetheless I wasn’t going to argue and got up only to realize there were no other seats. No problem, I’ll sit at a bar and drink while watching the games. Philly was cruising most of the game and really only got as close as a push before closing out the Bears by more than 5, which is what I needed. The Colts are struggling much more with my Steelers than I thought they possibly could. I’m getting 1.5 points and they are down by 2 with the most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL (who already missed an extra point today) lining up a 41 yard FG to put the Colts ahead with a minute to play and he……….shanks the living daylights out of it (think of the judge in Caddyshack when he says “Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice, yea, it was that bad). I don’t think the ball went 30 yards. Well, the beauty of a Round Robin ticket is that I can still break nearly even on it as long as the Packers don’t blow it. The Packers did not get the memo and went ahead and got beat soundly from the opening gun and were never in the game. Ticket=Trash.

The wife and I meet up and I should be embarrassed to tell you, we head to Five50 Pizza, again. We end up with the same waitress and just as enjoyable as an experience as the last visit, which was roughly 48 hours ago. I ate an equally embarrassing amount of pizza (not sorry) and realize when we get back home I really need to do something about my diet/physical condition. It’s not THAT bad, but certainly trending in the wrong direction.

I end up back in the poker room for the evening as the wife says she’s gonna rest a bit in the room and call me. I never get a call and when I go up to check on her she is sound asleep. Yea, we are party animals I’m thinking. She’s literally in bed at 6:00 Vegas time and didn’t get up until 5:30 the next morning. I ended up punting off $100 playing poker and the trip bankroll is still better than I thought it would be at this point.

Not a very exciting day 3, but it’s hard to top day 2.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Mr. Brownestone

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Day 4

I only had three nights reserved at the Wynn, for some reason the Monday night stay would have cost over 6000 gems on the app. For those of you who play the app you know that once you get to the higher levels it’s super hard to get 6000 gems in a short period of time. We opt for the free night at the MGM Grand I have offered. The Wynn has a 12:00 check out time so my wife has a few hours to hit the pool before check out and I decide the trip bankroll is still healthy enough for me to go play craps for a while.

I’m the guy who won’t buy in during a roll. I know it doesn’t change the outcome, but others believe it does so I respect the etiquette and wait until the roll is over before buying is. As a Don’t player it’s really a good thing I did. The guy tossing the dice had all his money on the layout, which was less than $100 and rolled the All, Tall, Small bet twice and only need the 3 to hit it a third time. It was truly amazing to watch. He did the absolute right thing and colored up and got out of their while the getting was good, for $7200. Good for you sir.

I didn’t have much of anything of notice happen and lost maybe $30 before it was time to pack up the room and catch a Lyft to MGM. I run really good at Lyft because we continue to get very friendly drivers who are willing to share info about Vegas and such that we don’t know. I think this guys name was Marcus and he is getting his hustle on the right way. He offered us bottles of water, had a menu of SiruisXM stations for us to pick from and was just as friendly as could be. It worked because it got him a larger than normal tip, so if that’s is hustle, good for him, he’s making it work.

*****Warning, this is where I might piss a few of you off again*****

We get dropped off at MGM and go in to check in and am told the room is not ready but the would E-Mail us when it was. E-Mail? I know other MLife properties text you when the room is ready, now I gotta keep checking E-Mail to see when it’s ready? I already do not like this. Nonetheless we walk down to Shake Shak for lunch (another of my favorite places) then visit ParkMGM to see an area I believe the call Eataly. It was super cool and of course everything is over priced but that’s Vegas for you. I did have what I consider the best Espresso I’ve ever had at a shop called Lavazza. My wife really enjoyed checking things out and I finally get the E-Mail the room was ready, I ended up wishing that E-Mail had never came.

I have had people tell me that MGM Grand is among their favorite places in Vegas and that it’s really nice compared to other places they have stayed, etc… Those people should be put on a government watch list. The MGM Grand is a flat out dump in nearly every conceivable way. We got to the dungeon, I mean room, and it was dark, not clean and super dreary with a fantastic view of the air conditioner system. A system that apparently doesn’t have an air cleaner installed in it. How in the hell do you get a non smoking property to smell THIS bad? WTF? On top of that I had booked a king room and we got two queens and I noticed the price in the E-Mail was much higher than the price (free) I was expecting to pay. I went back down to the desk to enquire and they assured me the room was comped (had to pay the $41.95 resort fee, whatever) but made a mistake putting us in the queen room and she would look for a king. I told her not to worry about it as we were only there one night. We both honestly can’t wait to leave.

I buy a ticket in the sports book and we go to Tap to have a couple beers and watch the games. We get a very disinterested waitress who let our beer go empty for so long I honestly couldn’t believe it. I hit my hockey parlay as both games I bet went over the total in the second period, nice. Now I’m gonna put some on the Giants as I just don’t believe the Cowboys are that good and then hit the poker room. For everything bad I have to say about the MGM Grand, I really do like their poker room. Wife heads to the room.

Here is where things take the upswing as far as gambling goes. I have a good run at a very friendly poker table and win almost $300. At this point the trip budget is very well intact, we will be taking money home with us. We paid cash for everything with the money we brought. Food, drinks, tips, etc… was all paid in cash out of the trip budget which is why I had to be pretty careful gambling, until now. I’ve got money to play with so I decide to put the odd $60 into a slot machine and I don’t really ever play a lot of slots without the wife, I prefer poker, sports and then table games. I immediately win $90 so decide I’m taking that money and putting $10 with it and playing $100 outside on a craps table. Things go well and I win $125 on the first shooter. In my head the math was like this, I had $60 to blow on slots, turned that into $150 so putting $100 into a craps game meant I was really only risking $10 ($90 slot winnings plus $10 from my original $60) don’t try to follow my logic (or lack there of). I’ve now got $215 plus the $60 I started with I was willing to torch, where is that damn MegaBucks machine, might as well go for the big score. I find the MegaBucks machine bank and it’s 100% busy. Not wanting to wait I put $50 into a Wheel of Fortune Red 7’s game and almost instantly win another $100. Well, that $100 is going to the craps table again. I’m actually enjoying my low rolling, bouncing around the floor experience.

The $100 outside bet is immediately met with a roll of 4 meaning I pick up $49. At this point there is a bunch of newbs at my end of the table who simply couldn’t follow instruction, specifically DO NOT PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE WAY. The dealer repeatedly reminded them as they kept asking questions about how much this bet cost and how they knew who’s money was who’s. I don’t mind the questions, and neither did the dealer, it was the constant reaching down and touch chips that was irritating everyone, including the shooter who had to stop mid toss more than once to not hit them with the dice. Next toss finally happens and it’s a 10, good toss for me and I give the dealer $1 and tell him to press by 9 and 10 to $50 each. I’ve now got $45ish in hand and $150 on the layout. The guys with the hands problem have a buddy show up who starts the process all over again reaching into the playing are and touching things he shouldn’t be touching. It’s really becoming a circus at this point. The next toss is a 5 and I pick up $35 only to to see everyone getting really angry about the guys at my end of the table. The box man is now standing up with a super menacing look on his face, the shooter again has to stop his toss to wait for last minute bets and hands to get out of the way. Again, I’m not superstitious, but even I’ve had enough of this. I tell the dealer to take my bets down and he does exclaiming that “I don’t blame you” as he pushes me my money.

I’m not that frustrated because I did win another $120 or so. I look at my phone, holy shit, it’s after midnight and we need up at 6:00 to catch the ride back to the airport. I think I put another $50 in a slot machine and my luck ran out at that point. Given the limited funds I had for this trip I’m super happy to call it a night with my winnings. I’m pretty sure all in all with gambling, dinner, drinks, tips, etc… I’m only out of pocket $500 for the trip. I’m pretty happy with that as it’s certainly within the budget.

• Like Like x 11
  5. Mr. Brownestone

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Day 5/Going home

The MGM Grand continues to disappoint as I get in the shower to find less pressure coming out of the shower head than I pee with (I’m an old guy with prostate problems to put this in perspective). Man, I hate this hotel. We go to checkout and the mobile kiosk can’t find my reservation, I get on my phone and try to checkout that way, nope, can’t find the reservation. I’m not waiting in that line as our driver from Presidential is waiting for us outside. I’ll call from the airport or, whatever as far as checking out goes. We get a super nice driver who gets us right to the curb, check our bags in and have an uneventful flight back Pittsburgh where it’s 5:00 local time. Looking forward to getting home and seeing the kids and the dogs. Did I mention the MGM Grand is a dump?

All in, what can I say? Thanks agains to my terrific wife who I’m sure would rather vacation somewhere else and is not a fan of Guns N Roses at all, but took one for the team and let me have a trip/experience I will never forget. I said earlier that those songs are important because they remind me of a time or place from my youth. Now, those songs will remind me of another time and another place and I can’t appreciate that more than I do.

Going forward, every time I hear Axl say “Do you know where the f@#k you are?” I’ll know exactly where I was and exactly what I was thinking, “I still can’t believe I’m here”.

Thanks babe, I owe you one.

• Like Like x 21
    • Love Love x 3
  6. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like all in all, you had a good time. Crossed one off your bucket list. Good going!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. buckeyetodd

buckeyetodd High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree on two things for sure, the Wynn and Encore have exceptional customer service and I agree that the MGM is the most overrated property in Vegas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. drac999

drac999 Loving Life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoyed your trip report. I must say I agree with your review of MGM Grand. I'm enthralled with your GnR review. I'm a big fan and am glad to hear they still rock it! Glad you ended up having fun and not losing:D

Happy Birthday to Me!
  9. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What an awesome wife you have helping you check off a bucket list item. I agree on the MGM and used to be one of my favorite places to stay and play.

Mark

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. btodd

btodd High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This report really made my day. As "fortunate" adults, there aren't many events that mean so much. Your description of the concert was just that. So great that you could be there and in Vegas to boot! My husband got to play St Andrews Old Course last summer in Scotland. Never thought he would or that I would be there to experience it through his eyes...…….thanks for taking the time to write report!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gr8whitenorth

gr8whitenorth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really enjoyed your TR. Being a fan of GnR right from the beginning it was fantastic to read how seeing them felt to you.

Cheers.

12. Mr. Brownestone

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I knew going in it was going to be one to remember, I had no idea I would enjoy it like I did.

Yes, they still rock. I don't think Slash gets older, just better and seeing Axl (at least appearing to be) in a good mood is so refreshing.

I really can't say either of those enough. The MGM Grand was simply a dump and I really owe my wife for this one. I'm trying to plan a trip for her next year. It's gonna take something pretty special to pay her back, though.

I almost felt silly that it meant so much to me It was, after all, just a concert. Somehow it turned into so much more than that and I decided to go ahead with the trip report and not care if my reaction was a bit over the top, it is what it is.

Being a fan from the beginning you know exactly what I mean when I say around 94-95 you just weren't sure you would ever see them again. I know it isn't the entire original lineup, but Axl, Slash and Duff are close enough. I will go again if I get the opportunity be that show in Vegas or local to me, or on the moon if I can.

13. drac999

drac999 Loving Life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe he's clean now!

Happy Birthday to Me!
  14. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really great read and really loved the concert description!

15. BobLasVegas

BobLasVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report, thanks! Really enjoyed it!

16. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good stuff! Enjoyed the report. Thanks.

17. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome trip report, sounds like you had a great time! Glad you were able to see your band while they can still put on a great show. Wynn (and Encore) still remains my favorite rooms and resort (Cosmo close second because of the balcony, thought Wynn's resort is much better).

I've seen Plant (solo) and Plant and Page, 30 and 20 years ago respectively. Led Zeppelin my favorite band but that ship has sailed. Keith Richards may be playing with Jagger's great great grandson ninety years from now, but he is the exception to the rule. :thumbsup:

18. rm22

rm22 Gym Junkie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So glad i read your tr. I was almost going to stay at MGM in one of their stay well rooms as i definitely need lots of relaxation on my next trip which will be solo but have decided to go on a different day than scheduled and will be staying at i'm thinking Delano. I've stayed at Cosmo, VDara which was my fav. but Delano is giving me a good deal and i will be able to pay the extra $$ to check in early and maybe even check out late.

19. Mr. Brownestone

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Someone else's experience might be much different than mine so I wouldn't tell someone not to stay there if that was their plan. I really don't feel like my stay was an isolated incident, though. I did feel as if the rooms were very outdated, the smell was horrible and many of the amenities need upgraded ten years ago.

If asked to compare Delano to MGM Grand the only thing I can say I would prefer about the MGM is the location. Otherwise, Delano wins hands down in every aspect. From the Delano you will likely go to Mandalay Bay and catch the tram to Excalibur and then walk North on the Strip to get wherever you want. I'd say staying at MGM is a good 10 minute head start on wherever you going. It's 10 minutes well spent, IMO.

20. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoyed the TR, thanks for sharing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.