1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

El Cortez and the open bathroom trend

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by michaeld21, Nov 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's the Junior Executive Suite I had at SLS maybe 2 years ago. As you see, the vanity and shower are at the head of the bed. The hopper is too, but not visible in this shot. Funky sliding doors let you use one or the other, but not both.

[​IMG]

• Wow! Wow! x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No way any of my cats allowed me peace and quiet in the bathroom. If the door was closed, all hell broke loose.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have had some interesting bathroom set ups in Spanish hotels. Never had a problem with any of them.

One of the things I really disliked when I first visited the USA, is the 2 inch gaps around the doors of public restrooms everywhere. Now that is just weird. They could definitely find a way to hang the hinges so that there was very little clearance, but hey ho, when in Rome and all that. I guessed it was to discourage unseemly behaviour in the restrooms. Couldn’t think of another reason.

4. Fishin' Coach

Fishin' Coach Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do the renovated rooms still have a window in the shower?

5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LMAO! My first time I used one of those in Okinawa, I was 17 years old, and here comes an old Mama San who squats right next to me and does her business. Welcome to the real world, kid!

• Like Like x 3
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does not bother me. I was in the Navy for 20 years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. blissfulignoramus

blissfulignoramus 3:2, nothing else will do

Trips to Las Vegas:
    None of this bothers me either, but it’s a hotel. You err on the side of caution with this sort of thing. Also, when rooms are shared it’s not necessarily a couple, it might be co-workers or what have you, even in a room with one bed (you can add a cot).

It’s dumb because I think it’s at most one in a million customers who thinks “you know what? I want a hotel room where I can watch my spouse drop a deuce!” I mean, if you’re into that it’s fine, but this is not a positive feature people seek out. And even if people like me don’t care, there are people who do, so why potentially turn those folks away? It must be a way to cut costs — that’s the only explanation I can think of.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. sinnerman

sinnerman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I for one do not understand this. I remember being weirded out when I in college when me and my buddy from college shared a room with two beds. And I could see the shade of his body though the frosted glass. Creepy and gross.

9. rob889

rob889 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some of us don't necessarily want to watch our wives drop a deuce but maybe we want the option to make eye contact while we're dropping the kids off at the pool.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Double-bunking on business trips is far less common than it was in prior years. I very much prefer it this way. I don't have to work around someone else on the off hours.

Business-type hotels (Hampton, Etc.) always seem to have real bathrooms. I've seen the open type of bathrooms in hotels where roommates are more likely to be intimate partners.

11. sinnerman

sinnerman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A good buddy of mine served on submarines for many years and told me about it. Man, you guys really have to get used to the concept of not having personal space.

12. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Except that we are talking about a modicum of privacy in a hotel room and not a submarine. Now if we were all on a submarine....jail yard rules apply and boundaries be damned.

I Like to Drink and Gamble
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. sinnerman

sinnerman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I quite agree, when I said 'you guys' I was referring to submarines, not the members of this board. I find the whole trend to be intrusive and stupid.

14. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some of these designs make the old outhouses look desirable. They were used by both sexes too.

15. Roccoscollar

Roccoscollar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You really can't see through the glass at someone on the can. However, I do wish the door was solid. I do like to leave a light on in the bathroom but only want a little bit of light coming under the door.

16. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been doing this (leaving the bathroom light on at a hotel) for decades. Usually I leave the door (if it has one) part way open.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sub, barracks, locker room ... we've all been and "gone" places where any sense of privacy around the natural rites of "passage" was nonexistent. That doesn't mean I want that at home or in a hotel room. Frosted glass treatments don't bother me.

18. Roccoscollar

Roccoscollar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    same here! Since i travel a lot for work (and fun) I like having a little light on so I don't fall and bust my tail when I get up to pee, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. HeatherC

HeatherC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Go Rooms at the Flamingo had the frosted glass door. It didn't really bother me. But the new remolded Flamingo Rooms have solid doors. So I wonder if they had complaints about the glass doors and decided to go back to solid doors.

20. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like a more open design in hotel bathrooms. The fogged glass lets in more light and it feels like less of a dungeon in there. Hotel bathrooms are always so dark. Plus it seems to cut down on condensation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.